Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone following EVs for a while is probably familiar with the cheap lease deals that have become common, as manufacturers have needed to lure more buyers in order to sell EVs.

Take for example the Chevrolet Spark EV, which has been available around $140 per month or less, with nothing down, on subsidized leases:
http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-spark-ev-lease-deal-leads-buying-frenzy/

GM, Fiat, VW, and others have had to subsidize the leases through artificially high lease residual figures in order to write these leases cheaply enough and move the cars off the lot.

I'm thinking the Bolt's 200 mile range will be popular enough that GM won't need to subsidize these leases, or at least not nearly as much.

So will the Bolt mean the end of the cheap EV lease deal? I'm thinking it will end the cheap leases from Chevrolet, but now VW and Fiat are going to have to work extra hard to move their EVs...maybe we'll see an insane Fiat 500e or Nissan Leaf lease deal in the future? How will they be able to compete against the Bolt on any level but price?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm curious if GM may offer battery leasing.

It's an interesting, on i believe Nissan is employing in Europe...

But then again on the other hand, as we enter into what seems like an age of accelerated development in the world of BEV's is it worth it to invest yet? The innovations are still taking large chunks out in terms of improvement. I think the time to outright PURCHASE an EV will be when we reach a time of diminishing returns for the research/innovations.

But for now the rate of change may incentivize people to lease and get the latest and greatest, especially if the innovations are turning over with great rates of speed :D;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts