Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So my wife and I came to the same conclusion that having dash cams in our cars made a lot of sense (recent car accidents involving friends). I noticed that many dash cams are really just small camcorders with display screens. That seemed rather silly since you can't watch it while you drive or it is a distraction or whatever. So I started paying more attention to cameras that did not have screens and found the Mobius Dashcam. The camera is about the size of a matchbox and can come with a low profile mount and a capacitor instead of a battery. The reviews say it is an excellent camera for many uses and as a dash cam is definitely one of them.

Then I started thinking about the video it captures (.mov files of a certain codec) and I got to wondering... the Bolt can play movies on the infotainment display. If I plug a Mobius into the USB port, can I browse those files right there? I went looking for sample files from a Mobius to try out (on a thumb drive) but they are all on Youtube and even if I downloaded them from Youtube, the format is probably changed so it would be in ineffective test.

My questions.. 1) has anyone rigged a dash cam that works great with the car? If so, what model and why do you like it. I'm particularly interested in camera-only (non-screen ones)

2) If you have a camera, have you tried plugging it into the infotainment system via USB and can you watch the footage on the main screen? Can the infotainment show .mov files? I know it can show mp4 ones, but there were specific restrictions.

I know it is a long shot, but if I can plug the Mobius into the USB port, and browse the footage on the main screen, that would be cool.

·
Registered
328 Posts
(...)
1) has anyone rigged a dash cam that works great with the car? If so, what model and why do you like it. I'm particularly interested in camera-only (non-screen ones)
Here is my screen-less dash cam install: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/26-electronics-audio-lighting/9658-dash-cam-install-2.html#post134153

2) If you have a camera, have you tried plugging it into the infotainment system via USB and can you watch the footage on the main screen? Can the infotainment show .mov files? I know it can show mp4 ones, but there were specific restrictions.

I know it is a long shot, but if I can plug the Mobius into the USB port, and browse the footage on the main screen, that would be cool.
That a great idea, my dash cam generate .mp4 files, so far I only watched the dash cam files on my PC, but there maybe a simple set of accessories to just plug the SD card in the BoltEV. Let me experiment!

Edit: the BoltEV seems to only take 720p .mp4 witch is too low for a good dash cam. I rather stick with my current method, 1080p video and using this cheap adapter: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTQVSLL[/ame], that I keep in the car, I can watch or show the dash cam footage on my phone directly while on the go (and also make a copy of file right away, for reasons...)

·
Registered
624 Posts
i use a mobius, i'll try it out.

the mobius is great and flexible, but it's not the most user-friendly cam out there. to configure it, you have to load a settings file and edit it on your computer, then load it back on the camera. i'll have to dig back into it, but i recall that the camera wouldn't overwrite the old files until i switched to a certain format (may have been mp4). anyway, i'll let you know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i use a mobius, i'll try it out.

the mobius is great and flexible, but it's not the most user-friendly cam out there. to configure it, you have to load a settings file and edit it on your computer, then load it back on the camera. i'll have to dig back into it, but i recall that the camera wouldn't overwrite the old files until i switched to a certain format (may have been mp4). anyway, i'll let you know.
Cool, the onboard infotainment system is supposed to play mp4 files, but I could not play video from a go pro that I had laying around. I think it is very sensitive to the codec. I was originally thinking that I could plug it into the usb and power it from there, and also (if the videos can play), play them back there if that was something we wanted to do.

Help me Mobius, you are my only hope!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm also curious about the screen, if I can connect a front camera to it without getting it configured by the dealer
Your chances of getting a real time camera display to work are slim. My goal is to make the dash camera content available from the media player in the infotainment. The media player is only available when the car is parked.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked this up from another forum post. But I think it is important to the concept of having a dash cam feed directly to the gallery in infotainment system.

<quote>
1. Only mp4 movies work.

2. Only smaller size USB drives work. My 256 GB ones don't show up at all. Not sure what size the break occurs at yet. My 16GB ones work fine, will try some other sizes once I get some.

3. 720P ones play at full size on the screen, with full surround sound, and look great.

4. 480P ones also play fine but only fill the middle half of the screen, in 4:3 format.

5. 1080P ones Not Supported.
</quote>

I set my go-pro back to 720 and see if it works. I still want to see if Mobius can do the same. Obviously hanging a go-pro on my windshield is like saying 'break in here!'

·
Registered
770 Posts
I can vouch for the BlackVue product @timeToy chose to use. I do not own it...yet... however my son had some less expensive dashcam and that was a you-get-what-you-pay-for affair. He purchased the BlackVue 2-channel and it is well worth it. Broadcast quality video and seems very well built. The BlackVue DR750S-2CH will be the first add-on to the Bolt.

FYI, BlackVue has an mobile App (WiFi) that will provide a live video stream, however I'm not sure how that may impact mobile data. Perhaps @timeToy has used it?

My son did jerry-rig his Ford to display the live video from the BlackVue on the Ford Sync-3 main screen. That process isn't for the DIY faint of heart, especially with a new car. It involved using a coax splitter for the video-in feed, a coax-to-video cable, and an aftermarket Video-in-Motion interface box.
I did a search to find the company that made the box, and lo and behold...they have a interface box for the 2017...and 2018 Chevy Bolt

If you embark upon this mod, please update us. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm also curious about the screen, if I can connect a front camera to it without getting it configured by the dealer
Your chances of getting a real time camera display to work are slim. My goal is to make the dash camera content available from the media player in the infotainment. The media player is only available when the car is parked.
You know how people can hook up rear camera via RCA cable to almost any in dash monitors, I wonder if I can do the same with a forward facing (not mirrored) camera just like you would with a rear camera setup on the front license plate (for parking purposes; I have a LT). Have a separate switch instead of relying on reverse light signal.

·
Registered
328 Posts
(...)FYI, BlackVue has an mobile App (WiFi) that will provide a live video stream, however I'm not sure how that may impact mobile data. Perhaps @timeToy has used it?(...)
No I haven't, I have the most basic BlackVue camera the DR450-1CH, it doesn't have WiFi, nor GPS, but was decently priced.

In order to get the camera to Live broadcast to your phone you will need to create Mobile Hotspot with your Phone and have the Camera connect to it. Just live viewing the feed on the phone doesn't consume any data. Some of the BlackVue models have a cloud option, that will use you mobile data from the hotspot to upload in real time to the cloud. That will impact mobile data consumption!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tinkered a little more with my Gopro Hero 3, a USB cable, and my Bolt infotainment system. Once I set the gopro to 720x30, I could play the videos from the gallery without issue. 1080 and 920 would not play, but 720 definitely did. So for this to work, the camera has to take power from the USB, and not be in PC-connected mode when it is plugged in to the USB port. Or I could just power it from the mirror 12v or the 12v plug, and only plug it in to the USB interface when I want to play the video.

I'm still interested in what dash cams people are using, but I'm pretty sure I'll go with a Mobius since they are so small and easy to hide. I just don't see the need for a built in screen under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Two of my cameras act as USB mass storage if plugged into a phone with USB-OTG. My Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is such a phone and I use ES File Manager and MX Player to pick the files I want to save to my phone memory for later transfer to my home computer for archival/editing.

If your new dashcam can act as a USB mass storage device when plugged into a computer and your phone supports USB-OTG, I'd say your phone is the superior dashcam footage viewer. The center display of the Bolt is nice and big, but it's also a bit hard to reach for swipe motions, which you'll be doing a lot of if you're scrubbing dashcam footage in the car, looking for the exact moment you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
We use dashcams, which is a good thing for insurance purposes, with an additional benefit of automatically capturing an occasional Bolt in the wild or a bear.

I personally wouldn't want the dashcam video (or, for that matter, the GPS map) on the infotainment screen, but I can see why some people would like it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i've verified that the infotainment system will play .mp4 videos at 720p directly from the mobius. i haven't tried 1080p, but .MOV files don't work.

you won't be able to get a live view + recording with the mobius. you may not get a live view at all, i haven't actually tried that. also, you can't power from one of the data ports (USB1 or 2) and have it work as a dashcam. when the camera has the data connection, it goes into mass storage mode, not dash cam mode.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i've verified that the infotainment system will play .mp4 videos at 720p directly from the mobius. i haven't tried 1080p, but .MOV files don't work.

you won't be able to get a live view + recording with the mobius. you may not get a live view at all, i haven't actually tried that. also, you can't power from one of the data ports (USB1 or 2) and have it work as a dashcam. when the camera has the data connection, it goes into mass storage mode, not dash cam mode.
Thanks for confirming that. I have already placed an order for a Mobius with the low profile mount. I'll probably follow the lead of another Bolt owner and hard wire it in using the power lead for the auto dimming mirror. Once I get it rigged up, I'll have to order a second one for the wife's Accord.

If I have not said it before, this forum is very very helpful. If you think of something, chances are someone has already been there and done that.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i'd highly suggest getting the super capacitor to replace the battery in the camera. it provides enough power to shut down cleanly when you power off the car, and you're not constantly charging a full battery.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i'd highly suggest getting the super capacitor to replace the battery in the camera. it provides enough power to shut down cleanly when you power off the car, and you're not constantly charging a full battery.
Yes, capacitor based camera are the way to go, batteries will also fail in no time under the summer heat under the windshield.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered a Mobius configured for a dash cam. It comes with a capacitor instead of a battery. Good advice though, thanks.

·
Registered
624 Posts
ok, i just ran into the issue with the mobius that i alluded to earlier. when recording in .mp4 format, the camera will not overwrite old files. it just stops recording. i can't find any references to this anywhere, so maybe it's a problem with my SD card or something, i have no idea. recording in .mov mode works fine.

i'm using the mobius v1, so if you ordered a 2 or a mini maybe you won't have this issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts