Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

After three and a half years on the market, Chevy has axed the Spark EV from their 2017 lineup even though the Bolt EV was never meant to be its replacement.

General Motors has confirmed the discontinuation of their Spark model last month. First launched in the summer of 2013 for the 2014 model year and built in South Korea, the Spark EV was initially only sold in California and Oregon before hitting Maryland showrooms in 2015. That was probably why Chevy only sold around 7,400 Spark EVs since it was first introduced.

That’s around 2,000 units sold per year. While the number is higher than the 600 Bolts that were sold last December, the number has since almost doubled in January at around 1162 units. At this rate, GM could sell around 14,400 Bolts by the end of 2017 and maybe even hit their sales projection of 30,000 by year end.

Even though the Bolt was not supposed to replace the Spark, its predecessor with a measly 82 miles of electric range would not have been able to compete with the newer EV’s range of 238 miles. Sure it has a very reasonable starting price of just $13,000 but affordability would not have been enough to overcome a potential buyer’s range anxiety.

If you were to visit the Chevrolet website, you’ll find the Spark EV missing from its lineup.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I always seen this being as something to test the market with before going crazy with a "real" product like the Bolt and the numbers reported here sort of prove that. Always helps to probe a market with minimal risk.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
It did it's duty, now it's time for it to retire. I am a first time EV buyer and the Bolt is the ONLY one I would consider. The Teslas are great, but they cost way to **** much for me. I don't want a hybrid even if it does plug in because I just don't want anymore ICEs. All of the non Tesla BEVs to date have had crap range and that's unacceptable to me.

The Bolt is an BEV that can work for ordinary people. The Spark and all it's contemporaries only appealed to early adopter futurists and environmentalists. Everyone else said- "Screw that noise." The Bolt really is a big step up.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It did it's duty, now it's time for it to retire. I am a first time EV buyer and the Bolt is the ONLY one I would consider. The Teslas are great, but they cost way to **** much for me. I don't want a hybrid even if it does plug in because I just don't want anymore ICEs. All of the non Tesla BEVs to date have had crap range and that's unacceptable to me.

The Bolt is an BEV that can work for ordinary people. The Spark and all it's contemporaries only appealed to early adopter futurists and environmentalists. Everyone else said- "Screw that noise." The Bolt really is a big step up.
Yep, didn't work for you so it was worthless.
Never mind that it was a blast to drive, was a great commuter vehicle and was close to free for many CA drivers after the $2500 check from the State.

Everyone's situation is different. The first part of your post is good. It (kind of) tells what you want/need and why. The second part projects your needs and expectations on the rest of the population and that's where it fails.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The Spark was dirt cheap after state incentives and those 82 miles of range were probably enough for some people's daily commutes. It's just not enough anymore when every other manufacturer is coming out with electric cars that has more than 100 miles in range.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Lol the title kills me. "Chevy Bolt offs Spark EV" ... sorry I may have laughed more than I would like to admit..

Nonetheless, it was bound to happen. Understandably, it was a significantly cheap vehicle that was meant for bare bone necessity commutes, but there's really no point for it with everything new coming out.

·
Registered
735 Posts

I'm the same way, been waiting a long time to get my hands on an EV from GM and now is just about the best time.
Don't know what problems first generation Volt owners had but anyone that understands how the market and any market works will know R&D continues well into the years owners have these, its almost like we're buying into beta versions, although its not advertised as such.

Safe to say with the Bolt we're well past beta and onto at least Version 2.0 :D

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Yep, didn't work for you so it was worthless.
Never mind that it was a blast to drive, was a great commuter vehicle and was close to free for many CA drivers after the $2500 check from the State.

Everyone's situation is different. The first part of your post is good. It (kind of) tells what you want/need and why. The second part projects your needs and expectations on the rest of the population and that's where it fails.
Never said the Spark EV was worthless, just that it's time for it to go. I'm certain it was sold at a loss like all compliance cars and appeals to a very, very narrow segment of the car buying market. Now that there is the the Bolt, GM no longer needs a compliance car to sell at a loss and those that seek an EV at a lower price point always have used market.

Soon there will be used Bolts coming off lease that can be had for about the same as a Spark, but with more range and more utility. Speaking of which, I wonder how many people actually bought a Spark EV? I'll bet that **** near everybody leased it with anticipation of throwing it away in three years.

Bottom line is, if GM was making a profit off the Spark EV, I'm sure they would keep it going, but I doubt very much that this is the case. It was a stop gap measure until the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Wow. Confirmation bias out the wazoo.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't get it. Why was that so funny?:confused:
More of a my familiarity with the word off... referring to a more intense meaning opposed to like ending or killing. When I hear off I think of something from those older gangster italian movies where it's like... the Bolt whacks the Spark... or the Bolt 187s the Spark kinda thing.

Sorry.. seems like something that should've stayed in the old noggin :|

·
Banned
350 Posts
I bought my Spark EV, and expect to get what it cost me (within $1000) when I trade it in on my on-order Bolt after nine months of ownership.
After the tax credit, and with the end-of-model price I paid in July `16, it cost me $12K for a fully-loaded new car with a sticker of $27,500.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't get it. Why was that so funny?:confused:
The phrase "off a guy" was the expression when a gang member killed off a member of another gang during the "Prohibition Era" on the 1930's and early 1940's. Search for "off" as a verb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a used SPARK EV from California and own and drive it in the Phoenix area. It's a great car and great price if it fits your needs. It is a perfect work commuter car. It DC Fast Charges to 100% better than a Tesla and the battery system seems to hold up with Zero loss even in the HEAT. I think it's the best EV made.

I sure wish they still made it. Maybe they will come out with a newer version with the same or better range as batteries keep getting better with less cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm the same way, been waiting a long time to get my hands on an EV from GM and now is just about the best time....
I'm curious... why "from GM"? I've owned a Nissan Pathfinder and a Nissan Altima. Never had a hatchback, never even driven a domestic car, never thought I'd own a GM, and have trouble imagine wanting, much less "waiting a long time," a car of a particular make that's not high-end. I understand Tesla love, I'm aware of Porsche festishists, and I've driven a BMW and Mercedes, so see the perks there. But longing for a GM? ... There must be something there I'm missing.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I'm curious... why "from GM"? I've owned a Nissan Pathfinder and a Nissan Altima. Never had a hatchback, never even driven a domestic car, never thought I'd own a GM, and have trouble imagine wanting, much less "waiting a long time," a car of a particular make that's not high-end. I understand Tesla love, I'm aware of Porsche festishists, and I've driven a BMW and Mercedes, so see the perks there. But longing for a GM? ... There must be something there I'm missing.
This is going to blow your mind then. There are GM fans. Not all of them just poor little folk either. The GM fan bases began before anybody in America knew what a BMW was. There are also Ford and Chrysler (Mopar) fan bases.

Of all the car companies, which one has the longest history of building EVs? That would be GM. The trails they blazed decades ago made Tesla possible. The Chevy Volt, the first range extended EV in the world, is such an awesome concept and works so well, that now other companies like BMW are getting around to copying it. So when someone is hoping for a more affordable BEV that will work great, it is understandable for someone to wait in anticipation to see what GM would do. And now we have and result blows all the "good" foreign brands out of the water... again.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Its similar to the reasons other people have, 1) GM has a history of building EV's which helps build my confidence in the product and, 2) I want to support an American brand/product.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Never said the Spark EV was worthless, just that it's time for it to go. I'm certain it was sold at a loss like all compliance cars and appeals to a very, very narrow segment of the car buying market. Now that there is the the Bolt, GM no longer needs a compliance car to sell at a loss and those that seek an EV at a lower price point always have used market.

Soon there will be used Bolts coming off lease that can be had for about the same as a Spark, but with more range and more utility. Speaking of which, I wonder how many people actually bought a Spark EV? I'll bet that **** near everybody leased it with anticipation of throwing it away in three years.

Bottom line is, if GM was making a profit off the Spark EV, I'm sure they would keep it going, but I doubt very much that this is the case. It was a stop gap measure until the Bolt.
I bought one and really loved it. It is a great little car which is very fun to drive and the seats are much better than "stock" 2017 bolt seats. As soon as I could swing it, I bought a Bolt. I only upgraded the Spark for range because if it had 150 miles or more range, I would still have it. Great starter EV or for a college kid that you don't want driving too far away from home, plus they don't have to ask you for any "gas" money....

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had a Spark EV. It was a pretty horrible little car, with shallow seats apparently meant for children. It was useless in winter when the range dropped to 50 miles or so, and dodgy on the highway. Plenty of torque on tap was its only attractive feature.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts