Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Any Bolt owners in Arizona, specifically the Tucson area?
David, I'm in Green Valley (due south of Tucson). I think you might want to join this group of EV interested folks:

Tucson Electric Vehicle Association

http://www.tucsonelectricvehicle.org/

I have yet to purchase an EV, but hope to do so soon.

Best of luck with your Bolt.

Rich

·
Registered
43 Posts
Waiting for our commercial building to sell here in Golden CO and then plan on moving the business down to the Tucson or Gilbert areas. Interested to see how the Bolt does in the heat of summer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi - I live in Rio Rico and am a member of TEVA Tucson Electric Vehicle Association. Occasionally I drive up 1 hour and attend meetings. I may have run into one of you at the most recent meeting, but am bad with names. I'm glad I found this forum today. My initial point is that I will take anything I can get from Bolt owners as to how the range is holding up in the heat of the southwest. This will help me understand if I want to get a used Bolt or something else in a few years. I disclaim also some EV industry involvement.

·
Registered
266 Posts
interesting recent review of a local charge station, by someone driving east to Albuquerque:

EVgo Charging Station Review - La Encantada, Tucson AZ
Trigger Energy
Published on Apr 21, 2019
EVgo stations are solid. They always work. It is frustrating though when the station shuts down at 51% and I have to restart. Check the video for the full review.
#ABQ2SD #EVadventure #Hyundai #KonaEV

Other off-hand quick comments about Tucson public charging:

- since I got a Volt and traded in a leased 2012 Leaf, this means I can't try the fast chargers, but oh well.
- I use the Blink stations once in awhile on 4th avenue.
- glad we've got the Level 1 120 volt plugs going at Fast Park & Relax by Airport. Just heard at some point I do think it's in line to get proper J1772. I hope they stick with mostly Level 1.... not much need for Level 2 in long-term parking, except special circumstances (the occasional large battery day-tripper, airport lots that do valet parking and charging of EVs such as one I've heard about in Phoenix, etc.)
- started campaigning in 2012-2013 for better (public) charging down toward Nogales, and still haven't seen much, other than the Tubac J1772. Oh well, I guess it will happen in time.
- ***Do Not*** count on the J1772 at exit 75 on the 19, in Sahuarita. It has been broken for a long time (1 or 2 years at least?) and there is no word that it will be fixed or replaced any time soon.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi all, a shout-out that the Tucson EV Association page says there is a meeting coming up this Saturday May 18 at 3535 Ft Lowell at 9 AM. I don't know if I'll be there as it is a long drive. I know they were claiming to work with the site owner on charging, but I'm not sure if it's in place yet.
http://www.tucsonelectricvehicle.org/meetings.html

·
Registered
573 Posts
More experiences with the Bolt performance in high heat would be appreciated. I live in CA, in an area that has weeks of 90+ days. Am very careful to keep it plugged in when that hot. In two years, haven't lost significant capacity. But I don't do any charging above L2.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am also interested in your AZ experience with the Bolt. My Bolt lives on Cape Cod, but wife and I hope to purchase an EV to replace one of our cars in Green Valley AZ. The heat issue is a concern.

I've met a few folks with Nissan Leafs, at a few of the TEVA events, and they swore they haven't had a problem. I dunno. I want active cooling in any EV I buy.

Rich

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am also interested in your AZ experience with the Bolt. My Bolt lives on Cape Cod, but wife and I hope to purchase an EV to replace one of our cars in Green Valley AZ. The heat issue is a concern.

I've met a few folks with Nissan Leafs, at a few of the TEVA events, and they swore they haven't had a problem. I dunno. I want active cooling in any EV I buy.

Rich
I don't know who you met and what they said, but I had a Leaf near Tucson 2012-2015 and it absolutely did experience battery degradation.

https://survey.pluginamerica.org/leaf/vehicle.php?vid=229

In this heat, I won't trust that Nissan has addressed the degradation issues until I see some really substantial indications of this. At least one other TEVA member I know of who drove an early Leaf experienced degradation and had his battery replaced under warranty. I am not as up on whether TEVA members driving the latest Leafs with the latest chemistry claim there has been some improvement in degradation.

Reactions: hatchy

·
Registered
266 Posts
To add - I attended the Town Hall up in Phoenix around 2012-2013 and my impression is that there were more Phoenix area drivers focused on the degradation issue than Tucson. Also, in the following years, when I chatted with others about whether the newer batteries were better and degraded less, or on some other issues, I'm not sure I got entirely consistent answers. Once or twice I was given an answer that, had I followed it, I suspect it would not have gone well for me. So, my point is to make sure to get multiple opinions, if possible. As one minor example, it seemed to me I got a mixed answer on how or whether liquid cooling helped with the Ford Focus Electric up in Phoenix? I can't remember properly.

TEVA does have a facebook page I think that is part of their focus now, and they are accessible, you could probably arrange a call with one or the Tucson or Phoenix association officers to get an idea of people who are good to talk to. Jim Stack in Phoenix has been very helpful to me on a couple of occasions, though again, I do suggest rounding out your opinions by talking to multiple drivers.

Reactions: hatchy

·
Registered
471 Posts

Rich
Rich at a later meeting the moderator said she had a Nissan Leaf which was getting its 3rd or 4th battery pack (not sure which). She was concerned because her warranty was expiring.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rich at a later meeting the moderator said she had a Nissan Leaf which was getting its 3rd or 4th battery pack (not sure which). She was concerned because her warranty was expiring.
Yes, that re-assurance that Rich apparently got, that they claim not to have had a problem, is part of what I mean by suggesting to make sure to get multiple opinions. Unfortunately some drivers get into the mode of trying to sell people on the EV experience and they go too easy on the drawbacks. I'm remembering now one TEVA meeting in particular where after the meeting someone was asking questions about getting an EV and I realized all the answers she was getting were glossing over the drawbacks. I tried to speak up for a moment to make sure she had a fuller picture, including some negatives and including the option of a PHEV, depending on the exact situation (this was some time ago, my answers would be a bit different now).

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was at a TEVA event (north part of Tucson, last year if I recall). Anyway, there was a very nice red Leaf. I asked the owner about battery issues in the AZ heat and he assured me it was not impacting his Leaf.

As I wrote, if the EV doesn't have active battery temp management, I ain't gonna buy it!!

Rich

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have had my Bolt since 4/17. Here is my experience with the car. March- May limited use of AC have had GOM as high as 325 miles with low at 240. June - Sept GOM high 250 with low at 190 using AC. During summer would plug in afternoon at work for battery conditioning purpose. During our winter never use heat only heated seat and steering wheel. Sits right at GM stated range. Battery loves the 80-95 degree temp.
Just did a trip to Tucson. Stopped at a DC fast charger in Northern Tucson and had lunch. Stayed at the new Marriot in downtown since we were going to a concert at Fox Theatre. Has 4 level 2s in garage that are free for guests. I didn't know they had them was going to stop at fast charger on way back. Started charging before show was fully charged after show. Drove home next morning to Scottsdale straight thru and still had 100 miles of range. Love the car. Drove my daughter's 2019 Ford Explorer the other day and what an ancient mode of transportation.?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Pretty interesting event this upcoming Saturday at 10:00 AM in Phoenix. I don't think I'm going (2.5-3 hour drive each way), but I think a small number of the Tucson chapter may be going:

"...See how Tesla cars and batteries are updated and fixed at Gruber Power. They work on Roasters, Model S X and 3. They are the biggest Electric Vehicle Repair center I have EVer Seen. Bring a friend too...."

https://www.facebook.com/events/427421777824689/

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have had my Bolt since 4/17. Here is my experience with the car. March- May limited use of AC have had GOM as high as 325 miles with low at 240. June - Sept GOM high 250 with low at 190 using AC. During summer would plug in afternoon at work for battery conditioning purpose. During our winter never use heat only heated seat and steering wheel. Sits right at GM stated range. Battery loves the 80-95 degree temp.
Just did a trip to Tucson. Stopped at a DC fast charger in Northern Tucson and had lunch. Stayed at the new Marriot in downtown since we were going to a concert at Fox Theatre. Has 4 level 2s in garage that are free for guests. I didn't know they had them was going to stop at fast charger on way back. Started charging before show was fully charged after show. Drove home next morning to Scottsdale straight thru and still had 100 miles of range. Love the car. Drove my daughter's 2019 Ford Explorer the other day and what an ancient mode of transportation.?
It's really helpful to me to read about your Bolt experience here in Arizona. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
266 Posts
One other thing - if you have time and are inclined, if you use plugshare.com and if the downtown hotel stations you saw are not yet listed, it would be useful to other drivers if you noted them on plugshare (or whichever application you use) so other drivers could know about it. I have an idea where you are talking about, but am not sure. If it's where I think, then it's very exciting because those folks own or are involved with other hotels around here, and maybe they will equip the other places as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
They are located in AC Hotel by Marriott. Does not show on plug share.

Reactions: jlsoaz

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks, I thought it might be that one. Since you have been there and used the stations, what I'm suggesting is, if your time permits, you might want to be the one to add the stations to plugshare. On both the phone and the web, there is a way to add a station.

I haven't done this much, but if it seemed like it might be of service to get the word out to other drivers, then I guess I have done it.

They are located in AC Hotel by Marriott. Does not show on plug share.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts