Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

According to Automotive News, the 2017 Bolt EV is reportedly going into production in October as scheduled.

Official timeline provided by the news source didn’t specifically state October but the production dates have been published by other sources before. Back in May, hybridCARS managed to get their hands on an unedited copy of General Motor’s official production schedule and on it, the month for Chevy’s Bolt EV “start of regular production” (SORP) was listed as October. This copy was originally intended for investors only but it was published online briefly before it was taken down and then released again with the dates missing.

Now, the latest report suggests that GM plans to produce around 25,000 car annually and this number could include vehicles destined for the China market. This may not be enough to meet demands if Kelly Blue Book analyst Karl Brauer’s prediction is correct. Brauer suggests Bolt EV sales could range from 30,000 to 80,000 in the first year alone.

Final specs have yet to be announced for the $37,500 Bolt but Chevy does promise that it’ll deliver at least 200 miles of electric range. No doubt, many publications will be watching the Bolt’s launch very closely and hopefully, we’ll have more news now that we’re in the second half of 2016.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is official production starts in October, can we expect to see reviews from journalists in September? I assume Chevy would want the publicity before they start selling the Bolts.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Doubt Chevy will be giving journalists those test cars they were building to test out the factory's production process. We're going to have to wait until October unless journalists gets their hands on those cars we've been seeing in the wild.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I personally believe that Chevy has already begun 'production' of thousands of what I will call 'demo/show' vehicles that will be sent out to all the dealers, media, national & international markets to be ready for the official October introduction. These BOLT EVs are being inventoried with designated delivery points. These BOLT EVs are beyond 'test' vehicles although I believe they came from the factory that is still in 'test' mode.

The question is whether these vehicles will actually be sold to the public at some point after they have served their purpose.......maybe some, maybe all.

I think they have learned from their experience with the Chevy Volt that in order to sell EVs, they have to ensure that dealers have the sufficient cars to 'demo' to the public.

That is my belief and opinion at this point.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
General Motors once again promises to deliver the Chevy Bolt this year with the first batch hitting showrooms in the fourth quarter. Maybe we'll see one of those 'demo/show' vehicles before October.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's all we can really hope for I guess. I'm still under the impression they'll have to wait until October but let's hope I'm wrong. It would be ideal if they could get it before just so we can have a sneak peek into what they'll be like from different perspectives in the industry

·
Registered
862 Posts
October production is not likely to equate to October deliveries. Your looking at Nov/Dec for the first ones to reach the dealerships. My sources say the pre-production units we've seen running around can never be titled or sold, will not be used as dealer demo units, and will be destroyed (recycled).

·
Registered
34 Posts
October production is not likely to equate to October deliveries. Your looking at Nov/Dec for the first ones to reach the dealerships. My sources say the pre-production units we've seen running around can never be titled or sold, will not be used as dealer demo units, and will be destroyed (recycled).

You are correct, they are pre-production 'test' vehicles (serial #EX likely) that eventually will be destroyed; the 'demo/show' vehicles I'm talking about are being inventoried with designated shipping points once GM is ready for the 'grand introduction', probably October. Orders will still need to be taken because Chevy dealers will be expected to have 'demo' vehicles available for customer test drives. Auto shows, other promotions will require these vehicles too!

·
Registered
263 Posts
So we're looking at Nov/Dec for the first demo units to hit dealerships and then shipping of the customers' vehicles will take place after that. We're slowly approaching the production date but the build page is still unavailable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I contacted my salesperson on Aug.1st to remind him I am still here ready to make a purchase. I don't know if the dealer gets their order sheets before the online build page opens up. I expect the early demand will outstrip production. I hope the Bolt is profitable enough for GM to make the decision to increase production to meet demand. But it is conceivable that there will be more announcements of new vehicles coming soon that will make buyers hesitate. This is a very difficult time to be selling cars with all the rapid changes in their technology.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, I was in to see my dealer yesterday, on another matter, but happened to ask the sales rep. if we are still on track for the BOLT EV and yes, he said there is one with my name on it........in la la land right now, I guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So we're looking at Nov/Dec for the first demo units to hit dealerships and then shipping of the customers' vehicles will take place after that. We're slowly approaching the production date but the build page is still unavailable.
I believe that those demo units will be out in October.........being built as we speak; assuming there is nothing really outdated or wrong with them, they will likely get sold to the public eventually. That's my opinion!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts