Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Chevy Bolt got revealed today even earlier than we were expecting thanks to CNET which jumped the gun on posting a video online this morning. The video (now removed) shows a Chevy Bolt driving at some type of Chevy test track. We can't know for sure that this example of the Bolt is the final production version, but I'd say it's a safe assumption.

The Bolt we see here is wearing a gray vinyl wrap (likely promotional and not how the Bolt will be officially revealed) and we can see some changes to it compared to the concept revealed in Detroit last year. The grille has been changed to something more along the lines of the Volt. There is also a change to the headlights that makes them look a bit more "bulb-ish" as opposed to the fancier ones found on the concept version.

We don't get a look at the rear of the vehicle, but Jalopnik did relay some information from the actual video that gives us some new information on the Bolt. The video shows the Bolt hitting 60 mph in less than 7 seconds. That continues to assume that the Bolt will get over 200 miles of range.

We also are told about some features of the Bolt. It comes with a unique MyLink system with preset app pages or the ability to customize your own set of apps and save it as a profile. The system displays information about your driving habits and factors that will affect your electric range. The dashboard is LCD instead of fraught with traditional dials. The rear view mirror is now a screen attached to a rear view camera instead.

One last thing to keep in mind about the Chevy Bolt is GM's recent announcement that it would invest $500 million in Lyft to build an autonomous on-demand car network. The goals of this investment are:

· Autonomous On-Demand Network: The joint development of a network of on-demand autonomous vehicles will leverage GM’s deep knowledge of autonomous technology and Lyft’s capabilities in providing a broad choice of ride-sharing services.

· Rental Hub: Beginning immediately, GM will become a preferred provider of short-term use vehicles to Lyft drivers through rental hubs in various cities in the U.S.

· Connectivity: Lyft drivers and customers will have access to GM’s wide portfolio of cars and OnStar services, leveraging two decades of experience in connectivity. This will create a richer ride-sharing experience for both driver and passenger.

· Joint Mobility Offerings: GM and Lyft will also provide each other’s customers with personalized mobility services and experiences through their respective channels.
No mention of the Bolt here, but this project can be seen as the autonomous part of an end goal of autonomous and electric vehicles (autonomous taxis). The Bolt is the other prong. Put together, the two prongs will become GM's vision of the future of personal transportation.

I'll add some more to this thread later today when the official Bolt unveiling occurs.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sure looks like a pre-production model to me, judging from what they're covering up (typical with what i've seen officially identified as pre-production models) and the fact production hasn't started yet (not to my knowledge)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts