Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Until now, most electric and hybrid vehicles were designed to look quirky in order to attract customers. Chevrolet is confident that their more restrained looking Bolt will appeal to the masses.

Speaking with Automotive News, Bolt's chief engineer, Mike Lelli revealed that "If you're going to go to the masses, it can't be this quirky thing. There are lots of people who like the car not because it's zero-emissions but because of the way it drives."

Chevrolet would rather have the Bolt’s drive performance and 200-plus miles range do the talking instead of the exterior design. That’s not to say that the Bolt is boring, but it’s not the most conspicuous looking vehicle when compared to the likes of the BMW i3, Prius hybrid, and the Model X with its falcon-wing doors.

When Chevy first stepped into the EV market, they too followed the quirky trend with the Volt that stood out like a sore thumb. The second time around, Chevy had different goals in mind with a toned down design that’s easier to integrate into the brand’s lineup.

“There was an emphasis in making the car special rather than stand out as weird. We need it to work for more than just the die-hard EV fans."

That’s exactly what they did with the Bolt’s exceptional regenerative braking system, 200-plus miles range on a single charge and all of this for less than $40,000. Combined, these features can turn the Bolt into a mainstream vehicle.

·
Registered
735 Posts
One more important thing about the Bolt is how practical it is, that's what most people want, they want their needs to be met, and the Bolt does it. On top of that it opens the average person up to being green and buy from a brand they know they can trust. Lots of boxes checked off.

Had a look at the new Volt and even that for me isn't practical enough, rear seat room just doesn't cut it. The Bolt EV is for everyone.

·
Registered
507 Posts
One more important thing about the Bolt is how practical it is, that's what most people want, they want their needs to be met, and the Bolt does it. On top of that it opens the average person up to being green and buy from a brand they know they can trust. Lots of boxes checked off.

Had a look at the new Volt and even that for me isn't practical enough, rear seat room just doesn't cut it. The Bolt EV is for everyone.
While I believe electric cars are the future and am having a lot of fun with my new Bolt. For the general public the future is not now. First, even with the rebates it is expensive for its size and trim. That is mainly a battery issue and some estimates are that it costs about $9 k. The promised super chargers that offer more than 100 miles range in 30 minutes, appear to be mainly a future device and the cost to use these appears to be large at the moment. Installing a Level 2 home charger runs close to $1 K and may not be an options for renters. If the Bolt were not in competition with conventional cars that go farther and cost less, it would be an absolute wonder. So I don't think it will be an overnight game changer, rather something of interest to early adopters and tree huggers. (OK I bought one.) I am hoping the maintenance is really low compared to my 2003 Jetta. I hear a lot of amazing stories about how long the Toyota Priuses last and except for the battery, the Bolt is a relatively simple car.

All that said above, the Bolt is a huge step forward toward an EV car for everyone. But if like to regen going down hill, it is for you.

·
Registered
786 Posts
There is a unmencioned market for the Chevy Bolt EV: the "Seniors" (older than 55). The Bolt EV is the first vehicle that I know with a 100% flat floor from door to door, especially in the rear. There are no door rims or humps at all. So an elderly person with limited mobility can get in and slide into the rear seat easily because there is no obstacles to lift or trip over.

The Bolt EV also has a higher floor and seat height that any other BEV, so there is less bending down to get in or stretching to get out. As an owner of a 2009 Chevy Equinox, I know because I carry my mother-in-law and several friends who are all over 80 years of age (I am also a "senior" but I still have agility at 66 years old). The Equinox is almost ideal because it is high and also has a flat floor with the best rear legroom in GM's line.

GM, get thr "Seniors" to do test drives, and the Bolt EV will be their vehicle of choice.

·
Registered
786 Posts
While I believe electric cars are the future and am having a lot of fun with my new Bolt. For the general public the future is not now. First, even with the rebates it is expensive for its size and trim.
Well, tell the Tesla Motors Model S owners the same comments and they will all say that "they can pay for it".

If the market sells gas engine luxury and sportscars costing over $100,000 then why don't you complain about them? GM priced the Chevy Bolt correctly because for a difference of less than $10,000 over the Nissan Leaf you get a better BEV with triple the EV range. So if Bolt EV buyers can pay for it, but you cannot, maybe you don't deserve it.:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts