Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago my Chevy Bolt made a scary grinding noise while I was applying the brakes and stopped in the middle of a busy road. The console indicated a "Service Transmission" error and couldn't be moved; car was pretty much bricked and couldn't be changed into neutral. After calling Chevy's roadside assistance, we were informed that the fastest tow available was going to take 1.5 hours to reach us so we had no choice but wait inside the car. The road we were on had continuous traffic all this time so we couldn't safely get out. About 20 minutes later a police officer showed up and demanded that we move the car to a safe place ASAP. We couldn't really blame her because we were in an unsafe location and was blocking traffic to boot. So we are out more than a $100 on a tow truck to move the car about 200 ft. The second tow truck did show up more or less on time and brought the car over to a Chevy dealership. We're still waiting on the service advisor to reimburse us on the first tow truck.

The good news is that the problem was swiftly diagnosed to be due to a faulty Chassis control module which was then promptly replaced. I can't say I'm pleased with waiting about two hours stuck in the middle of a road with no recourse but to wait for a tow truck. We did get exemplary assistance from the car sales person we purchased the car from as far as trying to get OnStar to diagnose the problem.

Anyway, this is more of a warning in case the same thing happens to anyone here. I still love my Bolt but now I get a little bit nervous (perhaps unreasonably) that the car will stall in the middle of I93 during rush hour.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
He said it wouldn't go into neutral. Our Bolt is very easy to push in neutral. The grinding sound could have been the parking pawl attempting to engage while the car was still moving, or perhaps the parking brake?

AmpereFaradMaxwell,

Did it put itself in Park, or was it still indicating you were in D or L?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear. How long have you owned your Bolt? How many miles? VIN/production date? I looked for a chassis control module at this site:

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=Chassis control module

Do you have a Premier? Do you have the Driver Confidence II Package, perhaps with Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking?
Sorry, I forgot to answer your other question. My Bolt is an LT so it doesn't have the Driver Confidence II package.

Although it's extremely annoying to have this happen so early in the car's history, I'm a little bit heartened by the fact that the diagnosis was quick and the fix was easy enough (swapping out a defective module.) I asked the service person if this is a known problem and he replied that nope, mine was the only instance they've come across. Yay! Lucky me. And days after I just paid off the car too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He said it wouldn't go into neutral. Our Bolt is very easy to push in neutral. The grinding sound could have been the parking pawl attempting to engage while the car was still moving, or perhaps the parking brake?

AmpereFaradMaxwell,

Did it put itself in Park, or was it still indicating you were in D or L?

The entire transmission was dead. The shifter lever was unlit, and the console was not showing anything related to whether the car was on park, drive, low, etc... The only things displayed were the "Service Transmission" error and the icon of the car with a big exclamation point.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Geesh! I guess you can count yourself lucky. This guy is not so fortunate.

[edit] goo.gl/H1mqC1

Reminds me of Tainter's Collapse of Complex Societies. I am constantly amazed how many people insist we will tech our way out of our current dilemma.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geesh! I guess you can count yourself lucky. This guy is not so fortunate.

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7180&sid=95dedff1faf2f82ac3e124dcd4bb929a&start=20#p25793

Reminds me of Tainter's Collapse of Complex Societies. I am constantly amazed how many people insist we will tech our way out of our current dilemma.
Yes, I'm definitely not holding my breath for The Singularity. The book you mentioned sounds really interesting so I'll see if my local library has it.

By the way, the link above just takes me back to the forum. What happened to the unlucky guy?

·
Registered
17 Posts
October 24, 2017 had a similar problem today with my Bolt Premier that i got at the end of September. Left the car parked for an hour to grab a coffee. Started the car as usual upon my return, the car would not stay in gear. Would press the break, shift to R or N and after a few seconds it would go back to park. Tried D or L and still would go back to park. Noticed the service light on ( the symbol with a car and ! in the middle ) and service transmission notice on the dash. Car has 1680 KM. Called Onstar and they just patched me into a dealer that just told me to get the car towed in. I was were frustrated so i just turned the car off for a bit then tried again and it did stay in gear with the service light on and service transmission notice on cluster. Drove it to the dealer and is being diagnosed.
If this had happened on the road while i was driving i think i might have requested my money back. I'm a little worried that this may happen again at an inconvenient place and time, if so i will be putting in a request for refund. Love the Car but it is an embarrassment to have a new Electric car totally incapacitated and not able to move even in N. I been driving for 44 year and i have never felt so helpless as i did today.

·
Registered
989 Posts
October 24, 2017 had a similar problem today with my Bolt Premier that i got at the end of September. Left the car parked for an hour to grab a coffee. Started the car as usual upon my return, the car would not stay in gear. Would press the break, shift to R or N and after a few seconds it would go back to park. Tried D or L and still would go back to park. Noticed the service light on ( the symbol with a car and ! in the middle ) and service transmission notice on the dash. Car has 1680 KM. Called Onstar and they just patched me into a dealer that just told me to get the car towed in. I was were frustrated so i just turned the car off for a bit then tried again and it did stay in gear with the service light on and service transmission notice on cluster. Drove it to the dealer and is being diagnosed.
If this had happened on the road while i was driving i think i might have requested my money back. I'm a little worried that this may happen again at an inconvenient place and time, if so i will be putting in a request for refund. Love the Car but it is an embarrassment to have a new Electric car totally incapacitated and not able to move even in N. I been driving for 44 year and i have never felt so helpless as i did today.
You do realize you're an early adopter and purchased an EV, RIGHT ? This car is beyond technical and any electrical issue, you could be stranded at anytime. That said, I have 14K miles and have had no problems. If the MIL comes on, it could disable the vehicle to error on the safe side. This is why you have a 5 year towing service at no cost. The is also why you have an 8 year powertrain warranty.

My bet is, you have a communication fault and it's probably due to a low 12 volt battery.
There are also numerous TSB's for these types of issue. The dealer needs to update your
control modules and I don't mean just one or two. IMO, they should do them ALL

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to my wife yesterday. We just purchased the car a week earlier, ran fine with no issues. She backed out of the driveway into the street and put it into drive and it would not go forward when the pedal was pressed, long story short no one was hurt, but the car was in the middle of a bus road. After putting it back to Park it would not shift out it kept going back to park 1 sec after shifting. We had to get it towed to local shop because On-stars wonderful (note the sarcasm) service could get a tow in time. It's at the Chevy dealer and it's the locator module which tells the transmission what mode its in (drive, park, reverse, neutral) that was bad and is being replaced. I really like this car and I hope this is an isolated incident. But so far the dealership has been very good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad you were okay! That's very scary to be stopped in the middle of traffic. My Bolt battery ran low on my way home and I got stuck in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately it's was later in the evening and there wasn't too much traffic.

I drove a Leaf for 3 years and was able to go down to ~6 miles on the charge and was always able to make it to charging. My Bolt still had about 13 miles on the charge when it stopped dead. I only had 1.5 miles to get home. Now I know better not to go that low, but I'm still surprised that the car wouldn't go.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Glad you were okay! That's very scary to be stopped in the middle of traffic. My Bolt battery ran low on my way home and I got stuck in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately it's was later in the evening and there wasn't too much traffic.

I drove a Leaf for 3 years and was able to go down to ~6 miles on the charge and was always able to make it to charging. My Bolt still had about 13 miles on the charge when it stopped dead. I only had 1.5 miles to get home. Now I know better not to go that low, but I'm still surprised that the car wouldn't go.
Let me guess!!!!!!!! You've also ran out of gas in your ICE car too :eek: Why people do
the stupid things they do, will never cease to amaze me >:) Oh, by the way. This is a BOLT.
Not a Nissan POS! IT's designed to shut down after the warnings haven't moved you charge it.
It's forced to make you to charge it.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Let me guess!!!!!!!! You've also ran out of gas in your ICE car too :eek: Why people do the stupid things they do, will never cease to amaze me
I'd cut the poster some slack. There's a big difference between running out of gas in a car where you're using an analogue gauge whose upper and lower limits are suspect to start with, and in a car that tells you you've got 13 more miles until empty. If the car tells you you've got 13 miles of range it's not all that unreasonable to expect to be able to go at least a few more miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts

Knowing GM's GOM estimates, that sounds very peculiar how it would go from 13 to dead just like that, unless there was some problem that triggered the shutdown. I've taken my Bolt down to blinking "LOW", 0 bars on the battery meter (<5% SOC) without any problems. Sounds like you weren't even close to that low a SOC% if the GOM was still displaying a number. Once you hit 10% left or so, it'll simply switch to "LOW".

1 - 20 of 41 Posts