Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
I'm a little surprised TBH. I know the Bolt is quick but that one only had about 50% charge in the battery, and from my experience top end acceleration in EVs suffers when the SOC drops. Pretty sweet though!

·
Registered
782 Posts
yeah EV's are working their way through the petrol-heads and proving themselves along the way - drag racing an EV is rarely a good idea for an ICE car

one of the car mags recently tried to get the new Dodge to match marketing 0-60 numbers and after two days they couldn't do it - and called Dodge, who helpfully explained it requires drag slicks and the track to be at the correct temperature and a whole bunch of other conditions no real world scenario could match…

vs. the Tesla Model S P100D that does it repeatably in 2.2 or 2.3 seconds…

having said that my Model S is a terrible track car and ICE still have major advantages for sustained high performance demands - I shudder to think what would happen to an EV if you tried to run it in a 24 hour leman's style race - EV's are great/fantastic/best daily drivers, but I see a future where ICE's are still used where their particular advantages are actually required for the task…and I'm good with that - EV's for most consumer use, ICE's for applications where it makes sense.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Now I know why I got rid of my 2003 Jetta 1.8 l Turbo and bought a Bolt. The Jetta was light on the front wheels and hard to keep from breaking the front wheels loose even around town. Never dragged it though. Actually, although still operable, the Jetta was "walking" totaled after it was rear ended. The Jetta with its 5 speed manual felt more like a car, but it sure is nice when I have to stop in the middle of a steep street and the start again. Always a huge challenge in the Jetta. Also nice that the Bolt only costs $3.00 per hundred miles for energy compared to about $12.00 per hundred in the Jetta.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i actually am a little surprised by this - i own a GTI as well. the stated 0-60 time is 6.4s, vs the bolt's 6.3-6.8 seconds (i can't seem to find an official number). i would like to see a run using the GTI's launch control rather than just putting it in sport mode. but also, maybe they're doing a 1/4 mile so the bolt can continue to accelerate at a higher rate than the GTI.

related, anyone want to buy a GTI?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sadly that new Tesla Model 3 might come around and crush these 2 in a drag race. Tesla's have always been great with straight line performance, and have been at the forefront of making EV"s seem cool, which they are.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I'm a little embarrassed to post this, but this exact matchup actually happened to me.

On my daily commute, I drive a two lane highway (each way) that is posted 55mph that squeezes down to a one lane highway. Just before the squeeze, there is a stoplight. After the light, the right lane turns into a right turn only lane and then a merge lane at an intersection. So of course the modern douche bag driver of today will see all the cars in the left lane but use the right lane to try cut in front of everybody else even though there is often not enough room to merge without somebody stepping on a brake and letting somebody in, or just crazy stupid driving blowing through right hand turn lanes at speed.

Anyhow, at the red light I was in the left lane and a Black GTI zips up on right complete with aftermarket fart can exhaust and blacked out lights. It was clear it was his intention to get a jump on all us retarded rule following lemming drivers. Something just snapped and I decided to contest him in the Bolt. Probably not the smartest thing I have done...

The light turned green and he blasted off, so did I. He wasn't expecting a challenge, but he laid into it expecting to see me disappear in the rear view. I didn't. We were pretty neck and neck. It was classic as we started to rapidly approach the narrowing and I saw him snapping is neck repeatedly to look at me with a total WTF??!! Who the f...??? look on his face. We blew past 80 but I could tell the Bolt was running out of steam and it was starting to get really stupid street racer kind of stupid, so I finally did the right thing and let him "win" and get in front of all the lemmings.

I can honestly tell you, I do not believe he had the power to get in front of me for quite a bit further down the road and he even got the jump on me at the light because I literally decided to race right when it turned green. I'm well over 50 now, but I ain't dead yet!! >:) On reflection, it really wasn't very safe and it is also a highway well frequented by highway patrol and sheriffs. A lapse in judgement and I never bothered to tell anybody, but with this thread... I guess I had to because it really was a GTI and I real world went neck and neck! Had it been a sanctioned race and only a 1/4 mile, I know I would have won, just like the video. 1/2 mile, no way.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Sadly that new Tesla Model 3 might come around and crush these 2 in a drag race. Tesla's have always been great with straight line performance, and have been at the forefront of making EV"s seem cool, which they are.
Most likely yes. I think I remember watching a video of Elon boasting that the 3 would be about 5 seconds and we know it's RWD. That's the ***** about going first, you become the benchmark.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah EV's are working their way through the petrol-heads and proving themselves along the way - drag racing an EV is rarely a good idea for an ICE car

one of the car mags recently tried to get the new Dodge to match marketing 0-60 numbers and after two days they couldn't do it - and called Dodge, who helpfully explained it requires drag slicks and the track to be at the correct temperature and a whole bunch of other conditions no real world scenario could match…

vs. the Tesla Model S P100D that does it repeatably in 2.2 or 2.3 seconds…

having said that my Model S is a terrible track car and ICE still have major advantages for sustained high performance demands - I shudder to think what would happen to an EV if you tried to run it in a 24 hour leman's style race - EV's are great/fantastic/best daily drivers, but I see a future where ICE's are still used where their particular advantages are actually required for the task…and I'm good with that - EV's for most consumer use, ICE's for applications where it makes sense.
The P100d if I remember correctly was measured after initial roll out though and I think the Demon was measured with roll out being accounted for. Regardless, those numbers against each other are so neglible, the slightest lapse in reaction or driver slip and that's essentially ruined lol. There's that and I probably won't ever own either so I try not to think about it :(

But in regards to Lemans, I think they are coming out with an EV class though aren't they??

·
Registered
735 Posts
Most likely yes. I think I remember watching a video of Elon boasting that the 3 would be about 5 seconds and we know it's RWD. That's the ***** about going first, you become the benchmark.
Had to look that up and techcrunch reported 5.6 seconds, and that's just whats known so far. Once its finally here we might see some better numbers reported, but if 5.6 is the average i would be very happy if going Tesla. Unplugged Performance could get that down to the 5 second marker

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Had to look that up and techcrunch reported 5.6 seconds, and that's just whats known so far. Once its finally here we might see some better numbers reported, but if 5.6 is the average i would be very happy if going Tesla. Unplugged Performance could get that down to the 5 second marker
No, 5.6 would be just fine and no slouch. I hope Chevy takes the challenge and builds an SS version to compete once the 3 is actually on the road.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
i saw a model 3 on the road this weekend... not a bad looking car. i didn't get to race it though, we were on the freeway.
Yes, it's good looking. That's it's HUGE selling advantage. All other brands of BEVs are either nothing special to look at, or down right ugly as sin.

The top eight reasons 400,000 people loaned Elon $1000-

1. It's a Tesla and they can tell everyone they own a Tesla.
  2. They think they are getting all the awesomness of the Model S at half price.
  3. It says Tesla on the hood in the driveway.
  4. The car looks fantastic. A relief from all the BEVs on the market.
  5. It will have an Autopilot and they think they can climb in the back, drunk off their asses and have it drive them home.
  6. Everyone will see them driving a Tesla.
  7. There is this big ol' Supercharger Network that most will never use, but think they will as well as the cheapskates that think they are going to charge their car on Elon's dime and haven't yet figured out that the charging network and associated costs for "free" charging are baked into the price of the car.
  8. Coworkers will notice they own a Tesla.
;)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's pretty much why a lot of people want the Model 3, and all the power to them. But I do wonder what ppl will do once they realize it isn't the rainbows and unicorns with the Tesla.

More room to fall when their expectations are so high.

·
Registered
782 Posts
That's pretty much why a lot of people want the Model 3, and all the power to them. But I do wonder what ppl will do once they realize it isn't the rainbows and unicorns with the Tesla.

More room to fall when their expectations are so high.
I'm interested what problems you think will bring them down?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes, it's good looking. That's it's HUGE selling advantage. All other brands of BEVs are either nothing special to look at, or down right ugly as sin.

The top eight reasons 400,000 people loaned Elon $1000-

1. [
  2. There is this big ol' Supercharger Network that most will never use, but think they will as well as the cheapskates that think they are going to charge their car on Elon's dime and haven't yet figured out that the charging network and associated costs for "free" charging are baked into the price of the car.
;)
I agree about Supercharging being "included" vs. "free" - there is a difference -however Tesla has already announced that Model 3 owners will "pay" as you go for use of Supercharger network. Model S/X owners have Supercharging "included".

As far as "that most will never use" - this defy's the data in that a majority of existing Tesla owner's use the Supercharger network, and they are busy enough that it's turning out to be a heavily used resource. Supercharging is one of the no-compromises approach to owning a BEV and given utilization world wide it appears Elon is right to invest in this network. An EV with no fast charging solution isn't much of a solution - the Chevy Bolt barely passes this test in that while it has Fast DC charging, it is neither fast/reliable and Chevy seems to feel it's someone else's problem to solve.

The Model 3 is going to be interesting…grab your popcorn boys & girls, the movie is about to start!

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
As far as "that most will never use" - this defy's the data in that a majority of existing Tesla owner's use the Supercharger network, and they are busy enough that it's turning out to be a heavily used resource. Supercharging is one of the no-compromises approach to owning a BEV and given utilization world wide it appears Elon is right to invest in this network.
But don't you think that the vast majority of those people are using the Superchargers because of the "free" charge and sometimes convenient parking spot? Facing a choice of charge at home and pay out of pocket, or go get the charge you already paid for, I suspect many choose the later.

My personal experience in the last three months of Bolt ownership has been that I have never been to a public charging station and I have yet to fully charge the car up. I have it set to Hill Top mode and the 200 miles I get is more than enough. I have zero desire to sit around and wait for my car to charge. Charge it every night like my cell phone and it's always good to go.

I believe that if every Tesla owner had to pay out of pocket for every charge, Supercharger use would plummet. Even the Model 3 is supposed to come with a generous about of "free" charging before they have to pay. I guess I prefer to pay as I go instead of pay up front for charging I may never use, but I do see the sales appeal to a free network.

An EV with no fast charging solution isn't much of a solution - the Chevy Bolt barely passes this test in that while it has Fast DC charging, it is neither fast/reliable and Chevy seems to feel it's someone else's problem to solve.

The Model 3 is going to be interesting…grab your popcorn boys & girls, the movie is about to start!
I guess GM and others are going by historical experience. When the automobile came to be, not a single manufacturer, including Henry Ford, went out and started building gas stations. Networks of gas stations sprung up due to demand from motorists. The demand for public charging is so poor, that there is little to zero profit in it, so nobody but Elon is serious about building them. Unlike the gas station, people have the option of charging at home, so charging networks have to compete with home charging and most people are going to opt for home charging.

Can you imagine the holy **** to pay in the financial analysts would rain down on a company like GM if they were to start spending hundreds of millions to build out a charging network that will lose them money? They are slaves to the stock market and what they don't have is an Elon Musk. Mr. Musk is an exceptional human being and one **** of a salesman. Tesla can do no wrong so far and some investors are completely smitten. I believe no other company could do what Tesla is doing largely because they don't have an Elon.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It'd be a great boon to the EV industry if there were a few more ELon Musks around, that man has the uncanny ability to make people believe in his vision. Just need to look at SpaceX, before him nobody thought of making trips to Mars affordable for the average person.

Just one Elon in each of the large auto manufacturers would speed up the development of EV charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Elon is definitely one of those iconic people of the world. His ideas initially sound completely outrageous, but he just seems like that guy that will make it happen.

Have you seen his tunnel idea? A lot of publications are calling it the "boring tunnel" and I don't know that much about it to make that decision.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Have you seen his tunnel idea? A lot of publications are calling it the "boring tunnel" and I don't know that much about it to make that decision.
That's because the company he set up to do it he named The Boring Company. Elon himself named it. I like the idea of express tunnels under the city, but the whole elevator, and accelerating electrically propelled skates to carry cars is a little wacky.

Think about it. They can't even keep the horizontal escalators that move you at airports working very much. Anybody who has been to a big airport like Atlanta, Miami or Phoenix knows what I'm talking about.

On the other hand, efficiently digging a subterranean roadway under LA that would allow travelers to bypass LA to get to other destinations I'm all for. Many people coming down the 5, or 101 are just looking to get to Las Vegas, or San Diego, or wherever. The way our freeway system is built it mostly forces you to go through major "hubs" to get where you really want to and that just clogs the freeways with people that don't really want to be there.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts