Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Anyone familiar with phones and other devices like tablets might get it but I think the breakdown of people owning the Model 3 vs Bolt will be similar to Android and Apples users. Model 3 being the one getting the crowd Apple does.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Test Comparison Bolt (Chevy) vs Tesla

Article in Forbes today ... http://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2016/06/13/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-gets-closer-as-it-appears-in-residential-neighborhoods/#334800211db3

Reading this on the heels of just watching Revenge of the Electric Car this past Friday (for the first time) really hit home. GM's on the right track again and 2016-17 is going to be the EV breakout year regardless of what gas prices do. Interesting article that gives a little additional insight into the production cycle.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The problem with people buying Tesla's is they won't mind knowing if build quality isn't up to a level it should be. If you observe how they buy, a lot of them are similar to those that buy Apple products, mainly iPhones. And we all know how powerful that is.

To them going Chevy will be like buying some used 4 year old Nokia phone.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
But that's precisely why we have different target markets. Tesla is made to appeal to those who care for the "newest" thing. People that pay strictly for the name brand of a product regardless of quality or construction. The Chevy Bolt is appealing to the regular consumer who buys based on logic, and if it seems fair to them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The problem with people buying Tesla's is they won't mind knowing if build quality isn't up to a level it should be. If you observe how they buy, a lot of them are similar to those that buy Apple products, mainly iPhones. And we all know how powerful that is.

To them going Chevy will be like buying some used 4 year old Nokia phone.
I would suggest
But that's precisely why we have different target markets. Tesla is made to appeal to those who care for the "newest" thing. People that pay strictly for the name brand of a product regardless of quality or construction. The Chevy Bolt is appealing to the regular consumer who buys based on logic, and if it seems fair to them.
There's definitely a "trendiness" aspect to the Model 3 as opposed to the Bolt, but it's also about price point. I just leased a second Bolt (first one was repurchased due to Battery issues) and had dealers talking to me about $3999 down and $400 per month. That's Model 3 money! If I hadn't been able to get the deal that I did ($2850 down, $255/month) I would not have gotten a Bolt. At equal price the Model 3 is a far better car than the Bolt. Better technology, better finish, better styling (I know, to each their taste), better charging network. The Bolt just isn't worth as much as the Model 3, plain and simple.

Some people definitely buy the Model 3 because it's trendy, but Chevrolet needs to be careful they don't also loose their core customers by trying to sell these too high. Their product just isn't as good and is not worthy of the same price tag. I would contend that anyone paying $350-400/month on a Bolt lease is nuts.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Bringing this zombie thread back to life after it has been dead for three-and-a-half years.

You're certainly welcome to your opinions, but for those of us who bought almost three years ago, there was no Model 3 to compete for our BEV dollars.

Then for some in daily use, the Bolt is the more practical choice.

And yes, now that three years in, Tesla is finally building a few of the base Model 3s, dollar for dollar, the Bolt will have a more difficult sales justification, but you leased another one anyway.

jack vines

·
Registered
82 Posts
And yes, now that three years in, Tesla is finally building a few of the base Model 3s, dollar for dollar, the Bolt will have a more difficult sales justification, but you leased another one anyway.

jack vines
Apologies for bringing this back from the dead. I was looking for Bolt vs Model 3 threads and came across this one. I thought I'd get less grief posting here than creating a new thread...looks like I was wrong...Also, to be entirely honest, I didn't realize the previous posts were 3 and a half years old.

That said you seem to have missed that my point is made on today's numbers and that the "trendiness" argument very much holds true. If I hadn't gotten the deal that I squeezed out of a dealer we'd have an order down on a Model 3. My experience showed that Chevy dealers were looking to be much too ambitious with the pricing for these cars. It made no sense to me especially because of the base model 3 availability.

The Bolt is interesting only if much cheaper than a Model 3. I just have trouble understanding why anyone is throwing down $4000 down and $350-400/month for an LT Bolt. That's absolutely insane, and those are the numbers dealers were giving me. Would people pay the same for a Nissan Maxima and a Mercedes C-Class? No way.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Agree, US auto dealers in general are their own worst enemy and kudos to Tesla for a 21st century business model.

FWIW, a family member liked our Bolt. With the federal tax credit due to drop, he really tried to buy one berfore that at a price he wanted to pay. He shopped several Chevy dealers and got only ho-hum interest in dealing with him. Coincidentally, his Tesla store got in a M3 with a very unusual combination of equipment which really appealed to him, so he stepped up another $20,000 and got a Dual Motor Performance without the big brakes, spoiler or big tires. Evidently, Tesla only made a few of these.

Immediately after getting the M3, the end of the quarter came up and three Chevy dealers were phoning and e-mailing him, begging him to come sign the deal they had refused to make only a few weeks back.

And yes, the M3 is a better car in many ways than the Bolt. However, not everyone has need for Supercharging or low-slung sedan packaging. For urban errand running, the Bolt is better in many ways. The Bolt one-pedal is still much superior to anything else currently available, including the M3.

Right now, on Tesla's site the least expensive M3 is $40,000 or $6289 down and $400 a month.
You pays yer money and takes yer choice. It is always good to remember not everyone has the same wants or needs.

jack vines

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Bolt was released before the Model 3 and there have been people who traded out of the Bolt for the M3. I bought a Volt just as the Bolt was released as I don't like to buy a car in it's first model year. Now my Volt is two years old now; I like the car and I am not considering trading it but I have other cars that need to be replaced. I want to buy a BEV for the next car and I am having to carefully investigate the Model 3 to compare with the Bolt.

There is a new kid in town now. The Ford Mach-e is being revealed tonight. There has been some leaks and Ford Mach-e base trim level will be $43K, but they still have incentives left on the fed tax deal so in California that car could be had for $10K less. A very gross approximation makes that $33K for the buyer ( a little more really because the incentives are after tax and license which is calculated from sale proce ). From what I know about the car I cannot see how the Bolt can compete with that. They will have to reduce the price of the Bolt from they way it looks right now as Ford still has tax incentives. I wonder If Chevrolet can price this competitively as they have accrued their tax incentives already.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think the bottom line at the end of the day is you are dealing with SALESMAN.

Having worked in sales before, it's not surprising they aren't doing a thing for EVs or Bolts because it doesn't put food on their table, pay their mortgage/rent, etc...

It's a total waste of your time so most dealerships just don't bother and that's probably why their attitudes are like that at Chevy dealerships I think...

I'm sure if they got some 5k bonus for each Bolt sold, you can bet they will want to sell it then...I'd also assume most Bolt buyers are more savvy and look for deals, etc...(my pure speculation).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm sure if they got some 5k bonus for each Bolt sold, you can bet they will want to sell it then...I'd also assume most Bolt buyers are more savvy and look for deals, etc...(my pure speculation).
They'd make $5K off your trade. Oh well, I guess GM will become irrelevant. Ford is getting serious about EVs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
And yes, the M3 is a better car in many ways than the Bolt. However, not everyone has need for Supercharging or low-slung sedan packaging. For urban errand running, the Bolt is better in many ways. The Bolt one-pedal is still much superior to anything else currently available, including the M3.

Right now, on Tesla's site the least expensive M3 is $40,000 or $6289 down and $400 a month.
You pays yer money and takes yer choice. It is always good to remember not everyone has the same wants or needs.

jack vines
What everyone does need is the ability to remote connect to their car without having to pay OnStar $10/month. I just had the wonderful surprise, with my newly acquired '19 Bolt, to discover that even the basic remote start is no longer included in the base OnStar package that's included in the purchase. Frankly, considering the Bolt's competition is a base M3, it's quite ridiculous that you have to pay to remotely access your car. The M3 gets you access to your car through your phone, charging management, etc...The M3 also had more practical trunk space (let's use a stroller as a comparison basis) though it's slightly less than the Bolt has.

To your other point, I'm not sure where you're seeing such a high price on the M3. I had it, out here in CA, for $4000 down and $399/month. Considering what dealers were quoting me for a Bolt, we were right there. Forget the "low-slung sedan packaging", the M3 just offers much more for your $$ if you're in that price range.

Everyone does have different wants and needs. I'm just saying that comparing $ for $, the M3 is a significantly better product. GM should not be pricing their car at the same level. It's just not worth that. Now, for all who can, as we did, acquire a Bolt under $300/month and a downpayment under $3K, that's very much worth it and a perfect car at the price point.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the bottom line at the end of the day is you are dealing with SALESMAN.

Having worked in sales before, it's not surprising they aren't doing a thing for EVs or Bolts because it doesn't put food on their table, pay their mortgage/rent, etc...

It's a total waste of your time so most dealerships just don't bother and that's probably why their attitudes are like that at Chevy dealerships I think...

100% agree. If they're not incentivized to move the cars they don't care. The core of the problem is that Chevy has priced the Bolt too high for it to sell at that MSRP (I say this fully understanding that the battery is expensive). The only way it can realistically be sold is with huge incentives. No one looking for a small Chevy station wagon is prepared to drop $40K on such a purchase.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We never would have purchased our 2019 Bolt without the incentives. The MSRP is rediculous, but nobody takes MSRP on ANY vehicle seriously these days. We got $12K off MSRP from the dealer plus $3750 tax credit from the FEDs plus $2500 rebate from the state of TX. Buying our Bolt for $20K cash (including tax and title) seemed (to us) like a very reasonable deal, and we couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The MSRP was meant to be ridiculous. GM was supposed to discount the Bolt but they decided to use "discounts" to get to the market acceptable price.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts