Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Chevy Bolt vs. Tesla Model 3

14K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  p7wang 
#1 ·

There has been a lot of build up and an extensive prologue when it comes to the electric car market. Now, the market finally finds itself with two companies promising affordable electric vehicles that also have a sufficient range to assuage consumer anxiety. Those two are the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla Model 3.

Though the two vehicles will be competing for the same customers, the companies producing each one are markedly different. The battle between these two vehicles will evidence the strengths and weaknesses of each automotive brand, as well as the preferences of electric vehicle buyers.

A recent poll from Clean Technica asked, "Which model electric vehicle(s) are you most likely to buy/lease?" The results were pretty definitive with the Tesla Model 3 topping competition with 55.28% of the vote. The Chevy Bolt ranked 6th with 17.29%.

The poll shows that there is a lot of interest in the Tesla Model 3, and that many people, if they actually do end up purchasing an EV, intend to purchase the Tesla Model 3. Intention does not guarantee a sales victory for Tesla (which I will get into later,) but it does show some of the things that Tesla has going for it.

Tesla's Strengths

Though both vehicles will have similar prices and ranges, the Tesla Model 3 may offer more prestige, and that means spending the same amount of money for something that makes you look a lot more "cool." Tesla says that the BMW 3-series, an entry-level luxury sedan, is the target vehicle for the Model 3. Meanwhile, the Chevy Bolt is styled more like a premium compact car. On looks, prestige and general "cool" factor, Tesla has an advantage.

Another strength for Tesla is its already established network of vehicle superchargers. It is yet unknown how long the Model 3 will take to charge (the Bolt can charge 90 miles worth of range in 30 minutes, and the model 3 should be able to achieve the same or better,) but even if the range was less than the Bolt's, the wide availability of supercharger stations would bring piece of mind to many buyers.

Chevy's Strengths

First, GM has the advantage of having produced huge-volume vehicles in the past, and the experience of delivering vehicles to customers on time (something that Tesla has yet to master.) GM's efficiency was shown in the development on the Bolt itself. The vehicle was announced, designed, and moved to production in approximately one year. The concept was shown at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show, and a year later the production model was unveiled at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show.

This means that even if Tesla benefits from higher demand, it ultimately may be unable to deliver Model 3s to all the customers who want one simply because it does not have the capability. Those customers could flock to the Bolt instead. Pre-release waitlists for Teslas that remain long despite delays show that esla may be able to weather the storm if they end up delaying the Model 3 as well. Still, the Chevy Bolt will be available to drive home and into customers garages a full year before the Bolt, and that is a huge head start.

Quality is another strong point for the Bolt when compared to the Model 3. Tesla currently builds a small number of fast, innovative luxury vehicles with plenty of high-tech. Luxury car buyers are also more forgiving of reliability issues than those purchasing affordable sedans. Tesla is sailing into uncharted waters.

From Bloomberg:

“Established automakers with scale and profit margins that Tesla can only dream of are preparing vehicles that will take on the Model 3 directly. How will Tesla maintain its hype and prestige if its $35,000 car feels less luxurious than a $20,000 gasoline car … or even a comparably priced electric Nissan Leaf or Chevrolet Bolt?”

Are you considering the Tesla Model 3 as well as the Chevy Bolt? Do you see any additional strengths or weaknesses when it comes to this electric vehicle battle?

See less See more
#6 ·
I don't understand how foolish are those who want to buy an unseen and unproven car. If GM offered cars like TM does, it will have fewer sales. No one can say what the Model 3 really is, except TM employees who will not reveal anything until alfter March 31st (BTW it is "April Fool's Eve"), so that is why I call all Model 3 fans "fools".

The 2017 Chevy Bolt EV is real since January 2015, have been seen and test driven by many this year, is in pre-production now (the "beta" phase), and will be in full production Oct 1st of THIS YEAR with the first customers buying and driving it by December. I cringe when I read about the "fools" putting down a deposit for a car that will not be sold until late 2017, or early 2018, when the Bolt EV will be a year old and have many thousands sold. I like the Model S because I saw, sat, and played in a Model S in 2013 at a TM showroon in Florida. But I will NEVER give money for any fantasy car to any manufacturer who will take that money for their bills now.

Tell your friends not to fall for that Telsa Motor hype (Nikola himself would be ashamed on how they are taking money for nothing), and wait until it is a real car at a showrom. Before that happens, get them to see and do test drives on the Chevy Bolt EV, and realized which is better.

Reactions: Bazinga
#7 ·
I think it comes back to the whole image that people built up in their mind about Tesla and that's quite strong. A lot of buyers that don't know much about cars go for what looks good to them and TM cars are attractive to me, but not enough of a reason for me to get one, hence why i'm here.

#8 ·
I feel like Tesla won't even have a production model ready by the reveal date. People will probably see a computer generated rendering at the launch and that's probably it until next year.

By the time the model 3 is out and on showroom floors, Chevy could be working on their next EV.

#9 ·
That's interesting...

Based on this article from tech times, "General Motors says the Bolt will have a range of over 200 miles and will include a quick-charge outlet that enables 30 minutes of charging to produce enough reserves to travel up to 90 miles.

The Model 3 is supposed to be about 20 percent lighter than the Model S, which has a range that's north of 200 miles as well. Tesla has established supercharging locations that'll give its vehicles about an 80 percent charge in about 40 minutes.

The Model 3 isn't just a lighter version of the Model S. It's also a stripped down version of the luxury car. It hasn't yet been made clear what features the Model 3 will drop to limbo under the $40,000 price point, but the sensor-reliant Autopilot may be one of them."

Do you think that with the Tesla hitting under $40,000 price point will be a huge factor when it comes to choosing which car?

Will it be a tight/close comparison between the the Bolt and Tesla?

Then again, we gotta wait and see what model 3 is all about when that's release to have a better or more accurate comparison right?

The bolt is stepping their game in many ways, and for the Tesla to also hit the low price point... is it worth it for them to strip their luxury car brand down to this?

#10 ·
Model 3 has been announced that production will begin in late 2017, with first deliveries on the West Coast and work East. Current Tesla owners have priority over others.

IF Tesla stays on schedule (which would be a first), the Model 3 will at least a year behind the Bolt.

#12 ·
I'd prefer to be able to see both before buying. I don't want to order a Tesla Model 3 early, but I'm not going to write it off before seeing how Tesla does with the project.

I'm more confident in Chevy's ability to produce a quality vehicle though.

#13 ·
We'll know what the Tesla 3 will look like at the end of this month. Heard that they're unveiling it on the 31st but people are going to be so disappointed if Tesla doesn't deliver. I don't really plan to get one and I'd be disappointed just because they've been building it up so much.

#14 ·
Get ready for "Tesla Fools Day"!!

Well, March 31st is only a few days away. If the local news shows these Tesla fans waiting outside their showrooms that night (like a Walmart line before "Black Friday") I will be laughing my head off!!:D

Then I will laugh again after reading the comments of the disappointed and dejected fans that don't like what the Model 3 seems to be, since it is a prototype and not the final version for another year or more.

#20 ·
I don't quite agree that these cars are going to compete for the same customers. I live in France, where a shorter car is usually a better chance to find a parking space, so the Bolt scores one point at 4.16m. Also, I find the Model 3 boot opening very inconvenient, whereas the Bolt is a 5-door MPV. I don't care about the expensive glass roof of the Model 3, and would rather have a standard roof in case of accident, which would also be cheaper.

To me and a lot of people, looks matter less than convenience (otherwise why would I own a LEAF?), and the Bolt is still a much better looking car than the LEAF or Soul EV!

#22 ·
Test Comparison Bolt (Chevy) vs Tesla

Article in Forbes today ... http://www.forbes.com/sites/samabue...rs-in-residential-neighborhoods/#334800211db3

Reading this on the heels of just watching Revenge of the Electric Car this past Friday (for the first time) really hit home. GM's on the right track again and 2016-17 is going to be the EV breakout year regardless of what gas prices do. Interesting article that gives a little additional insight into the production cycle.

#23 ·
The problem with people buying Tesla's is they won't mind knowing if build quality isn't up to a level it should be. If you observe how they buy, a lot of them are similar to those that buy Apple products, mainly iPhones. And we all know how powerful that is.

To them going Chevy will be like buying some used 4 year old Nokia phone.

#25 ·
The problem with people buying Tesla's is they won't mind knowing if build quality isn't up to a level it should be. If you observe how they buy, a lot of them are similar to those that buy Apple products, mainly iPhones. And we all know how powerful that is.

To them going Chevy will be like buying some used 4 year old Nokia phone.
I would suggest
But that's precisely why we have different target markets. Tesla is made to appeal to those who care for the "newest" thing. People that pay strictly for the name brand of a product regardless of quality or construction. The Chevy Bolt is appealing to the regular consumer who buys based on logic, and if it seems fair to them.
There's definitely a "trendiness" aspect to the Model 3 as opposed to the Bolt, but it's also about price point. I just leased a second Bolt (first one was repurchased due to Battery issues) and had dealers talking to me about $3999 down and $400 per month. That's Model 3 money! If I hadn't been able to get the deal that I did ($2850 down, $255/month) I would not have gotten a Bolt. At equal price the Model 3 is a far better car than the Bolt. Better technology, better finish, better styling (I know, to each their taste), better charging network. The Bolt just isn't worth as much as the Model 3, plain and simple.

Some people definitely buy the Model 3 because it's trendy, but Chevrolet needs to be careful they don't also loose their core customers by trying to sell these too high. Their product just isn't as good and is not worthy of the same price tag. I would contend that anyone paying $350-400/month on a Bolt lease is nuts.

#24 ·
But that's precisely why we have different target markets. Tesla is made to appeal to those who care for the "newest" thing. People that pay strictly for the name brand of a product regardless of quality or construction. The Chevy Bolt is appealing to the regular consumer who buys based on logic, and if it seems fair to them.

#26 ·
Bringing this zombie thread back to life after it has been dead for three-and-a-half years.

You're certainly welcome to your opinions, but for those of us who bought almost three years ago, there was no Model 3 to compete for our BEV dollars.

Then for some in daily use, the Bolt is the more practical choice.

And yes, now that three years in, Tesla is finally building a few of the base Model 3s, dollar for dollar, the Bolt will have a more difficult sales justification, but you leased another one anyway.

jack vines

#27 ·
And yes, now that three years in, Tesla is finally building a few of the base Model 3s, dollar for dollar, the Bolt will have a more difficult sales justification, but you leased another one anyway.

jack vines
Apologies for bringing this back from the dead. I was looking for Bolt vs Model 3 threads and came across this one. I thought I'd get less grief posting here than creating a new thread...looks like I was wrong...Also, to be entirely honest, I didn't realize the previous posts were 3 and a half years old.

That said you seem to have missed that my point is made on today's numbers and that the "trendiness" argument very much holds true. If I hadn't gotten the deal that I squeezed out of a dealer we'd have an order down on a Model 3. My experience showed that Chevy dealers were looking to be much too ambitious with the pricing for these cars. It made no sense to me especially because of the base model 3 availability.

The Bolt is interesting only if much cheaper than a Model 3. I just have trouble understanding why anyone is throwing down $4000 down and $350-400/month for an LT Bolt. That's absolutely insane, and those are the numbers dealers were giving me. Would people pay the same for a Nissan Maxima and a Mercedes C-Class? No way.

#28 · (Edited)
Agree, US auto dealers in general are their own worst enemy and kudos to Tesla for a 21st century business model.

FWIW, a family member liked our Bolt. With the federal tax credit due to drop, he really tried to buy one berfore that at a price he wanted to pay. He shopped several Chevy dealers and got only ho-hum interest in dealing with him. Coincidentally, his Tesla store got in a M3 with a very unusual combination of equipment which really appealed to him, so he stepped up another $20,000 and got a Dual Motor Performance without the big brakes, spoiler or big tires. Evidently, Tesla only made a few of these.

Immediately after getting the M3, the end of the quarter came up and three Chevy dealers were phoning and e-mailing him, begging him to come sign the deal they had refused to make only a few weeks back.

And yes, the M3 is a better car in many ways than the Bolt. However, not everyone has need for Supercharging or low-slung sedan packaging. For urban errand running, the Bolt is better in many ways. The Bolt one-pedal is still much superior to anything else currently available, including the M3.

Right now, on Tesla's site the least expensive M3 is $40,000 or $6289 down and $400 a month.
You pays yer money and takes yer choice. It is always good to remember not everyone has the same wants or needs.

jack vines

#30 ·
The Bolt was released before the Model 3 and there have been people who traded out of the Bolt for the M3. I bought a Volt just as the Bolt was released as I don't like to buy a car in it's first model year. Now my Volt is two years old now; I like the car and I am not considering trading it but I have other cars that need to be replaced. I want to buy a BEV for the next car and I am having to carefully investigate the Model 3 to compare with the Bolt.

There is a new kid in town now. The Ford Mach-e is being revealed tonight. There has been some leaks and Ford Mach-e base trim level will be $43K, but they still have incentives left on the fed tax deal so in California that car could be had for $10K less. A very gross approximation makes that $33K for the buyer ( a little more really because the incentives are after tax and license which is calculated from sale proce ). From what I know about the car I cannot see how the Bolt can compete with that. They will have to reduce the price of the Bolt from they way it looks right now as Ford still has tax incentives. I wonder If Chevrolet can price this competitively as they have accrued their tax incentives already.

#31 ·
I think the bottom line at the end of the day is you are dealing with SALESMAN.

Having worked in sales before, it's not surprising they aren't doing a thing for EVs or Bolts because it doesn't put food on their table, pay their mortgage/rent, etc...

It's a total waste of your time so most dealerships just don't bother and that's probably why their attitudes are like that at Chevy dealerships I think...

I'm sure if they got some 5k bonus for each Bolt sold, you can bet they will want to sell it then...I'd also assume most Bolt buyers are more savvy and look for deals, etc...(my pure speculation).

#32 ·
I'm sure if they got some 5k bonus for each Bolt sold, you can bet they will want to sell it then...I'd also assume most Bolt buyers are more savvy and look for deals, etc...(my pure speculation).
They'd make $5K off your trade. Oh well, I guess GM will become irrelevant. Ford is getting serious about EVs.

#35 · (Edited)
We never would have purchased our 2019 Bolt without the incentives. The MSRP is rediculous, but nobody takes MSRP on ANY vehicle seriously these days. We got $12K off MSRP from the dealer plus $3750 tax credit from the FEDs plus $2500 rebate from the state of TX. Buying our Bolt for $20K cash (including tax and title) seemed (to us) like a very reasonable deal, and we couldn't be happier!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.