Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
181 - 200 of 238 Posts

· Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,627 Posts
According to the manufacturer the 17" version weighs 22lbs... same as the OEM Premier wheel.

https://www.racelinewheels.com/p-929-198b-vector.aspx

Aerodynamic... what do I know from aerodynamic? How aero can they be when they're packed with snow and ice that I can't even remove with an ice pick?

Honestly, they look even better in person... actually I like them better than the stock Premier wheels.

Rub how did those Yokohamas work for you ?

· Registered
8 Posts
Well, a few days after I brought my 2017 Bolt home, I got it stuck in icy snow right at the end of my driveway. It high-centered, took a loonnngg time to dig out and get it free. Afterward I saw that a bit of plastic covering the innards beneath the vehicle, just behind the front axle, had been ripped partly free. I'm getting that sorted at the dealer next week.

But what to do about traction? And can I do anything about height/ clearance? I've been reading through this forum. Costco has the Blizzaks, I could get those. Or order another brand online.
Should I get (could I get?) bigger tires/ wheels to raise the car?
I live in Southeast Alaska- wet coastal climate. All winter we get a mix of rain, snow, slush, and ice, as temps fluctuate between 10-40F. While precipitation keeps falling most of the time. My winter commute is nice and short (less than 10m round trip with a stop at the grocery store) so I'm not too worried about reducing my range.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

· Registered
1,649 Posts
Winter is coming again… I'm new to the Bolt, but I ran General Altimax Arctics on my Outback and can’t say enough good things about them. I couldn’t get them in the right size for my Abarth, so I ran Pirelli Snowcontrol Serie 3 on it, but it was primarily a sport tire, and a winter tire second. Not sure if I will end up putting winter tires on the Bolt this year, but if and when I do, I’m going back to the Altimax Arctics.

· Registered
82 Posts
I have a set of Michelin XIce Xi3 tires off of my Fusion Hybrid in a 225/50/17 I'm thinking of using on my '22 EUV (which takes 215/50/17). While I know that the speedo/odo readings will be marginally off and I realize that we've probably had little experience with winters on EUVs at this point, I was wondering if anyone had experience with a 225/50/17 on an EV?

My only concern is clearance and, from what I've been able to garner, it doesn't look like it should be an issues. However, hearing from someone who's actually fit them on the vehicle would be helpful.

· Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone tried the nexen winguard ice plus studless ones? Living in the Chicago area, and the roads can get kinda bad at times. I also assume that I can buy the same tire size/dimensions as I currently have on my 2020 bolt premier and just use the same rims.

· Registered
82 Posts
I have a set of Michelin XIce Xi3 tires off of my Fusion Hybrid in a 225/50/17 I'm thinking of using on my '22 EUV (which takes 215/50/17). While I know that the speedo/odo readings will be marginally off and I realize that we've probably had little experience with winters on EUVs at this point, I was wondering if anyone had experience with a 225/50/17 on an EV?

My only concern is clearance and, from what I've been able to garner, it doesn't look like it should be an issues. However, hearing from someone who's actually fit them on the vehicle would be helpful.
Be VERY careful with tire size changes on vehicles with SuperCruise. I tried using the 225/50/17 XIce Snows off of my Fusion. While they didn't have clearance issues, they seem to have caused the SuperCruise to no longer enable on roads where it previously worked.

· Registered
119 Posts
I've got a 2017 bolt and my OEM Energy Savers are reaching their end of life at 55,000 well traveled miles on them.

I was just going to get the same stock tires on the car, but my wife has booked some mountain resort packages this winter that will likely require traction devices... not an option on the Bolt unless I chew through some snow socks.

So one of the options I'm looking at would be to buy the Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires and run them year round... I live in the Pacific Northwest in the city and winter typically consists of 35-50F and rain, rain and more rain with some sunny weather every now and then. We've been averaging one light snow storm each winter now, typically with some icy and hilly sections - but not enough to go get a dedicated set of winter tires as most of the time I just need a wet weather tire.
Right now in winter I'm using the heat set to 72F or with the front defroster, I get about 2.8 miles/kwhr. Summer I get between 3.8 (freeway) to 5+ urban.
Summer of course can get up to 117F nowadays, but typically is between 85-95F for a few months.

The CrossClimate 2 seems like a pretty sound tire, but I am concerned that I'm going to lose 20% of my range. I also looked at the V. Quatrac Pros but they have abysmal energy efficiency ratings. However, the tire reviews online consistently mention that the tire is rated as one of the most efficient touring tire... so what gives? Are the stock Energy Savers just that much more efficient than anything else out there?

My other option would be to swap back to a new set of Energy Savers during the hot summer, when I actually go on long distance road trips. From Portland, Seattle and Bend are about a 3 hour drive. SF is 10 hours/500+ miles. Expensive choice though!

Any advice? Am I overthinking this?

· Registered
119 Posts
I just went ahead and ordered the Cross Climate 2, figured that it will be easier to not have to mess around with tire swapping when I get hit with cold or icy weather.

Even if the tires don't last too long, it will be cheaper in the short term than buying a dedicated winter tire mounted on steelies.

· Registered
45 Posts
Mountabolt, have you noticed any significant drop in efficiency with the new tires versus the stock Energy Savers, just curious? I previously owned a 2011 Leaf, and when it needed tires after the stock Ecopia LRR tires were toast I tried some Pirelli P4 all season tires, and there was a noticeable hit to the range, and I ended up moving those tires to my old Subaru Legacy that runs the same size and bought new Ecopias from Costco. It should be noted, the 1st generation Leaf was only rated by the EPA for 100 miles of mixed driving range, so any hit to that limited range is significant and very noticeable, it may not be as big of an issue with the Bolt though?

· Registered
204 Posts
Winter is coming again… I'm new to the Bolt, but I ran General Altimax Arctics on my Outback and can’t say enough good things about them. I couldn’t get them in the right size for my Abarth, so I ran Pirelli Snowcontrol Serie 3 on it, but it was primarily a sport tire, and a winter tire second. Not sure if I will end up putting winter tires on the Bolt this year, but if and when I do, I’m going back to the Altimax Arctics.
I second your choice. I run General Altimax Arctics on my Bolt and my wife's Camry. Great tire!

· Registered
44 Posts
Is anybody using studded snow tires on the bolt? I'm a brand new bolt owner, trying to decide about winter tires. I live in adirondack mountains on a dirt road and there's a lot of snow and ice here in the winter. My neighbor who has a bolt swears by studded tires for winter use around here.

181 - 200 of 238 Posts