Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
201 - 220 of 235 Posts

· Registered
496 Posts
5 days with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA5 and they beat the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (my previous tires) in every category. PA4 were somehow noisy and were losing traction on the wet at times, the PA5 are glued to the road even on the wet. Haven't measured the 0-60 yet but I can feel that it is faster as they don't lose traction easily. They are also very quiet (can barely hear them). Comfort is way better as well. Don't know about snow and ice yet.

· Registered
206 Posts
Is anybody using studded snow tires on the bolt? I'm a brand new bolt owner, trying to decide about winter tires. I live in adirondack mountains on a dirt road and there's a lot of snow and ice here in the winter. My neighbor who has a bolt swears by studded tires for winter use around here.
I use Continental Viking Contact 7 and they work great on ice in Northern Minnesota . Studs seem like massive overkill.

· Registered
103 Posts
This being my 3rd winter with my Bolt I am finally have made the decision to get 2 front tires for best snow/ice traction for the season.

I was originally looking at the MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE 2 but the tire guy recommended the HANKOOK KINERGY 4S2 H750 for slightly better snow traction...but I am wondering if he recommended them because they were in stock that day.

I know I have read the Crossclimate 2 is recommended on here but I couldn't find anything for the Kinergy and was looking for input.

I want the best non winter tires (as they wont install winter tires on the front) for the traction and am not concerned about price, efficiency loss or looks.

· Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
72 Posts
Typically what you want for snow is taller and skinnier than stock. So a -1 wheel with a taller tire. What I have ended up with on a variety of different vehicles are Bridgestone Bizzack's in a set of four. From my Miata's to the wife's Dart they have been awesome. On a trip to my son's place going down the highway every thousand feet there was another car in the guardrail with shed bumper covers in the roadway. With the right rubber the car didn't even wiggle.

With the cost of vehicles being what they are today seems like cheap insurance to keep them intact if you deal with snow and ice.

· Registered
80 Posts
Is anybody using studded snow tires on the bolt? I'm a brand new bolt owner, trying to decide about winter tires. I live in adirondack mountains on a dirt road and there's a lot of snow and ice here in the winter. My neighbor who has a bolt swears by studded tires for winter use around here.
We have Nokian Nordman 7 studded tires on our 2019 Bolt. I was looking for Nokian Hakkapellitta studded when we were shopping for winter tires, but no one in our area seemed to be able to get them at the time. The Nordman 7 tires have worked out very well for us. My wife drives the car all through the Vermont Winters. Far better on icy roads: there are times on the winter where 2WD cars have real difficulty getting up our driveway. With these studded tires, the Bolt makes it up with no problems.

I've heard that studded tires do slightly worse than non-studded on wet, bare pavement. However, wet pavement is hardly the greatest wintertime challenge around here.

For those who see no need for studded tires, my first question is: "What kind of icy hills are you dealing with on a regular basis?" When I lived in NW Ohio, which is as flat as a board, I drove year round on all season tires. There were a few hairy situations, but things worked out OK. After our first winter in Vermont we started using un-studded snow tires on our vehicles (A Subaru Forester and an AWD Sienna). The difference was night and day from the all-season tires. With the Bolt we went to a studded tire, and found even better wintertime performance.

· Registered
40 Posts
We have Nokian Nordman 7 studded tires on our 2019 Bolt. I was looking for Nokian Hakkapellitta studded when we were shopping for winter tires, but no one in our area seemed to be able to get them at the time. The Nordman 7 tires have worked out very well for us. My wife drives the car all through the Vermont Winters. Far better on icy roads: there are times on the winter where 2WD cars have real difficulty getting up our driveway. With these studded tires, the Bolt makes it up with no problems.

I've heard that studded tires do slightly worse than non-studded on wet, bare pavement. However, wet pavement is hardly the greatest wintertime challenge around here.

For those who see no need for studded tires, my first question is: "What kind of icy hills are you dealing with on a regular basis?" When I lived in NW Ohio, which is as flat as a board, I drove year round on all season tires. There were a few hairy situations, but things worked out OK. After our first winter in Vermont we started using un-studded snow tires on our vehicles (A Subaru Forester and an AWD Sienna). The difference was night and day from the all-season tires. With the Bolt we went to a studded tire, and found even better wintertime performance.
I'm sure we live in similar areas, in fact there's about 3" of fresh snow this morning, and it's very hilly around here. But the non-studded tires were much less expensive (see above) and I'm hoping that overall, given the variety of conditions, I'll be okay without the studs and range should be better.

· Registered
80 Posts
I'm sure we live in similar areas, in fact there's about 3" of fresh snow this morning, and it's very hilly around here. But the non-studded tires were much less expensive (see above) and I'm hoping that overall, given the variety of conditions, I'll be okay without the studs and range should be better.
Good snow tires, even if not studded, make a world of difference for wintertime driving over summer or so-called all-season tires.

· Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,672 Posts
Just for the record these are modern Winter Tires.

They perform well with ice or snow. Old School snow tires were not better on ice.
These are not chunky tread 'snow' tires.
They are soft rubber with lots of sipes and test well on ice and snow.
And they wear quickly. :( So only use them during 'those' months.

Check out some of the comparison videos at tirerack.

· Registered
27 Posts
New Bridgestone Blizzaks Ice and Snow tires, size 205/60-16 on some old Chevy Cruze wheels that I picked up for $50/set. Bought the tpms sensors from Summit Racing Equipment. Ran this set up last year and did awesome! Good grip. Ok handling. Better ride. Not too much loss in range. This summer I decided to black PlastiDip the wheels to make the Bolt look cool! Lol

Attachments

· Registered
2,672 Posts
... This summer I decided to black PlastiDip the wheels to make the Bolt look cool! Lol
There are no rights or wrongs in matters of 'Look Cool'...
I too run that size of winter tire on basic black steelies.
But I think it makes my car look like the stripped down 'government' version of the Bolt.
Maybe I'll buy plastic wheel covers for 'Aero' reasons... :cautious:

But this part is true: Nobody loves a critic.(y)

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,630 Posts
Got them on this morning, with the Dec 1 deadline looming. I just run Xice Snow in the exact same size as OEMs with some cheap winter rated alloys that aren't much more money than good powder coated steelies. Looks a whole lot better though...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2,672 Posts
... some cheap winter rated alloys
Curious, What are 'winter rated alloys'?
I haven't seen this before.

Love the look of a new Bolt with new wheels!
Is this the first winter for this car? That caliper looks brand new!

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,630 Posts
Curious, What are 'winter rated alloys'?
I haven't seen this before.

Love the look of a new Bolt with new wheels!
Is this the first winter for this car? That caliper looks brand new!
Winter rated indicates it can stand up to salt. Regular alloys don't survive well long term. I can only guess it is the coating that is somehow altered.
This will be winter number 2. Got the EUV in July of '21 and the winter wheel set last year in November. 38000KM so far.
I am surprised too at the condition of the calipers and rotors although last winter was pretty tame.
This year could be another story....the Great Lakes are very warm. Check out what Buffalo got the last couple of days with a southwest wind.
When it comes out of the northwest then it is my turn!

· Registered
2023 Chevy Bolt EV 2LT
2 Posts
Alright,
since we talk snow here and cold weather, lets not forget to recommend appropriate Propane Heater like "Coleman" for the interior to ease the range deterioration anxiety and risk of hypothermia if juice runs out!
LOL
This is rediculous! No one wants to be hauling propane around in the back of a car! I just keep about 1/4 cord of firewood with me. ;)

201 - 220 of 235 Posts