Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
221 - 235 of 235 Posts

· Registered
2023 Chevy Bolt EV 2LT
2 Posts
Got them on this morning, with the Dec 1 deadline looming. I just run Xice Snow in the exact same size as OEMs with some cheap winter rated alloys that aren't much more money than good powder coated steelies. Looks a whole lot better though...
BobBolt, this is what I'm looking for. Do you recall where you got them?

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,630 Posts

BobBolt, this is what I'm looking for. Do you recall where you got them?
Yup. From my local wheel/tire shop. I did all the shopping and sourcing for my last vehicle and it was a waste of time for a couple of bucks in savings. These guys got a hold of everything, put it together and installed. I do the swaps myself. If anything goes wrong I have one local guy to talk to.

· Registered
4,386 Posts
Winter rated indicates it can stand up to salt. Regular alloys don't survive well long term. I can only guess it is the coating that is somehow altered.
News to me also. Been in and around the tire business forever and haven't seen that term used before.

FWIW, the much-sought-after Cruze Eco wheels are the most affected by road salt of any wheel I've come across. I found a set of the Ecos, with still usable winter tires, but the clear coat is beyond completely trashed. They're going to require stripping and powdercoating.

jack vines

· Registered
1,630 Posts
News to me also. Been in and around the tire business forever and haven't seen that term used before.

FWIW, the much-sought-after Cruze Eco wheels are the most affected by road salt of any wheel I've come across. I found a set of the Ecos, with still usable winter tires, but the clear coat is beyond completely trashed. They're going to require stripping and powdercoating.

jack vines
Can't really tell you what the technical difference is but, I can attest that experience of many in the salt belt is that anything winter rated or approved seems to stand up. The oldest ones I have are from 2018 and still look the same as when I bought them.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EV 1LT - Summit White
164 Posts
Cross post re: Blizzak Sale

· Registered
2023 Bolt 1LT
19 Posts
Cant I just mount the Blizzaks on my OEM rims......?
Unless your tire shop is willing to do the tire exchange and balancing for free 2x per year, it'll be cheaper and safer in the long run to buy a 2nd set of rims. (And you'll have to store the 2nd set of tires anyway.) Besides the twice-a-year tire exchange, getting a 2nd set of rims also allows you to change rim diameter size for a tire that provides better snow traction at a lower cost. For example, Discount Tire Online is showing 215/50-17 Blizzak WS90 for $166 but 205/65-15 WS90 for $105. And if you want Michelin X-Ice Snow, they're showing 215/50-17 at $226 and 205/65-15 at $116.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EV 1LT - Summit White
164 Posts
Cross post re: Blizzak Sale
Here is my recently shod Bolt... 16 inch Sonic wheels and Blizzaks. Not much snow or ice yet, so haven't had to test them (which is fine with me). I have used Blizzaks for years on other vehicles, and know their capabilities.

My local Chevy dealer also swapped them out for me, in lieu of my 7500 mile free rotation. Shout out to Solomon Chevy in SW PA.

Wheel Automotive side-view mirror Tire Vehicle Car

· Registered
2023 Bolt 1LT
19 Posts
Glad to have dedicated winter tires today!

My first significant snow drive on Blizzaks. This morning's 6:00 AM commute saw about 6"of overnight snowfall with only the major arteries being (mostly) cleared. TCS came on only once in the 8 mile drive. It's continued to snow all morning, so I'm curious to see how the drive home will be.

I'm used to Nokian winter tires (on my Saabs) and these Blizzaks seem just as good. The Costco sale price on these (~$400 complete) was about half of what I usually pay for Nokians.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Snow

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Glad to have dedicated winter tires today!

My first significant snow drive on Blizzaks. This morning's 6:00 AM commute saw about 6"of overnight snowfall with only the major arteries being (mostly) cleared. TCS came on only once in the 8 mile drive. It's continued to snow all morning, so I'm curious to see how the drive home will be.

I'm used to Nokian winter tires (on my Saabs) and these Blizzaks seem just as good. The Costco sale price on these (~$400 complete) was about half of what I usually pay for Nokians.

View attachment 52005
On a day like that they are priceless....

Reactions: Karl Roth and Eiron

· Registered
103 Posts
This being my 3rd winter with my Bolt I am finally have made the decision to get 2 front tires for best snow/ice traction for the season.

I was originally looking at the MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE 2 but the tire guy recommended the HANKOOK KINERGY 4S2 H750 for slightly better snow traction...but I am wondering if he recommended them because they were in stock that day.

I know I have read the Crossclimate 2 is recommended on here but I couldn't find anything for the Kinergy and was looking for input.

I want the best non winter tires (as they wont install winter tires on the front) for the traction and am not concerned about price, efficiency loss or looks.
Update:
I ended up getting 2 new OEM wheels with the Crossclimate 2 tires installed on the front for my winter set. I did this because acceleration and stopping have been my only issues & not sliding during turns. Also I wanted to lose as little efficiency as possible with keeping the rear stock tires on.

Anyways...Today was the first day we had a significant amount of snow on the road and they preformed wonderfully. I actually had no issue driving in L mode (which I never did with the stock tires in the same amount of snow). The roads are relatively clear for the trip home so no more testing today.

221 - 235 of 235 Posts