Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a set of Michelin X-ICE XI3 and went with 205/55R16 since Tire Rack showed this as their recommended winter package for the Bolt. I didn't end up buying the package from Tire Rack and went to Canadian Tire instead to get the 24 month equal payments. It ended up being almost $20 more per tire than tire rack, but about $25 cheaper per steel rim. I now see that tire rack would have included the lug nuts with their rims, but Canadian Tire installed with the stock lugs.

I hope the mechanic would have picked up on and advised if there was an issue using the stock lugs, after reading other comments in this thread about lugs. I driven about 400km on the winter set and haven't noticed anything off.

The one thing I did notice, because I was looking for it, is that my odometer reads about 3% higher than the actual distance traveled (which in turn would mean that my speedometer reads 3% greater than my actual speed). I didn't think to do the actual math before purchasing and blindly went with what tire rack recommended. The math says the 205/55R16's are 2.3% smaller in diameter than the stock 215/50R17's, though I am seeing closer to 3% difference as I mentioned before. I should have taken note of speedometer accuracy of the stock tires before switching over. I'm thinking now it would have been better to go with 205/60R16 and have just under +1% than the -2.3%. The 60's would have been $20 cheaper per tire as well.

It's interesting that the K1T rear seat delete package is equipped with 205/55R16. Did GM disregard the speedo inaccuracy, being less than 3% by the math, or did they change programming on a module to correct this? Could this tire size be programmed into a normal Bolt, and if so would a dealer actually do it? Probably not.

Maybe 3% isn't much to worry about, but it does mean I expire my warranty 3% quicker for the 5 months of the year the winter's will probably be on for.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
FWIW, do we know whose make/model 205/55-16 tires are furnished with the K1T rear seat delete package?

Assume kleem is quoting Michelin X-ice percentages, but there is easily a 1-3% difference from greatest to least revs-per-mile and/or diameter in that size across all tire manufacturers.

We're running 205/60-16" Nokian Hakkapilitta and the GPS seems close to the speedo/odo.

jack vines

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, I'm observing the -3% with the Michelin X-ice and agree that there's going to be a tolerance difference between makes and models for the same tire size. It seems the X-ice fall towards the minus side in tolerance given my observations compared to the theoretical -2.3%.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered winters tires for my new Bolt from TireRack and got 205/55R-16 Michelin X-ICE XI3 XL tires. They'll be installed tomorrow.

What are you using to determine your actual speed in the car versus the displayed speedometer?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm currently testing the concept of using all weather tires for Toronto winter conditions. I have 2 bolts currently and have equipped one with Michelin X-ice 3s and the other with Nokian WRG4 all weather tires. They are both running stock sizes of 215/50R17.
We just had a storm recently with lots of snow to begin with and ending with rain creating slushy and icy conditions. Both cars performed really well with "maybe" a slightly better perceptible difference with the Michelin's. Both sets of tires are really new so treads are deep. It's still early to come to a conclusion of which setup is better or how much better the winter tires perform compared to an all weather tires. So far I have not lost any confidence in driving the bolt with all weather tires. We shall see how it goes. If the Nokian all weather tires perform really well this winter with only a subjectivity minimal difference then I'll be happy to keep rolling on those all year.

Note:
I swapped out the original bolt tires for both cars with Nokian WRG4 tires so I have no experience with the stock tires when it comes to energy consumption. With the Nokian setup I'm getting 13-16kw/100km in summer (AC on and off) and right now at about 0C I'm getting 18-22kw/100km with the heat always on set to 20-21C. I always precondition the car before I drive it. I spend most of my driving around city with occasional highway use.
I'm also getting similar consumption with the bolt using Michelin's on steel rims. If my wife drives it she always gets less than 20kw/100km during this season because she turns the heat on and off as needed. She does, however, spends most of her time on the highway driving at about 110km/hr.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Thanks for the comparison Goose!!

It's amazing that the Nokian WRG4 "all-weather" tires give almost as good winter performance as the X-Ice dedicated winter tires.
I had Gen 1 X-Ice's on my 2012 Plug-In-Prius and they were amazing in actual snow & slush... so when you say the Nokian WRG4 all weather tires are almost as good... that's an outstanding recommendation.

And... your summer range (converted to mi) of 3.9 to 4.8mi/kW is almost as good as we get here with the crappy OEM all-season tires (which are a complete joke in snow).

At this point, with all the positive Nokian WRG4 reviews... when my OEM all-season tires wear out- I think I'll go with the Nokian's and skip the winter/spring changeover chore.

Both my kids drive 3-Series BMW's... (one rear wheel drive, one all-wheel drive), wonder if the Nokians would work well for them too?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I went for the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3, which is more of a winter tire, slightly less of a snow tire.

Haven't had them on the car yet - I'll install them (mounted on factory wheels) next month.

When I took them off during mounting of the Pirellis, I weighed the OEM tires, which had only 25 miles on them - they are quite heavy at 26.2 lbs. Both my summer and winter tires are around 21, so there is a nice improvement in ride and handling from either of these tires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hope it turns out good as well. Time will tell because my all weather tires are really new at about 4000km on them. The treads are full and I want to see how well they perform after some time.
The 2018 bolt which I got earlier this year also has Nokian WRG4s equipped on to it before I swapped them to the Michelin X-ice3s. It was about 18,000km when I did that and I did notice some minimal fading/flattening out with some Sipes on all tires. It's as if the mold at the factory did not punch deep enough on some Sipes. I'm thinking that it might have been a bad batch because I was one of the first to buy from a local dealer; the WRG4 tires were a brand new model during that time.
When I recieved my 2019 Bolt later this year I thought about buying a set of Toyo Celsius all weather instead because of this experience. I still went with the Nokians because I wanted to give it another chance since it was some time later in the year perhaps they improved it. I don't know...
If I do notice the sipes flattening out/fading after a few months I will definately try the Toyo celcuis next time.

Edit:
For rear drive cars I would go with a dedicated set of winter tires.
I should know, I used to drive a rear drive BMW before and it wasn't fun going up a hill during a blizzard in stop and go traffic.
Thanks for the comparison Goose!!

It's amazing that the Nokian WRG4 "all-weather" tires give almost as good winter performance as the X-Ice dedicated winter tires.
I had Gen 1 X-Ice's on my 2012 Plug-In-Prius and they were amazing in actual snow & slush... so when you say the Nokian WRG4 all weather tires are almost as good... that's an outstanding recommendation.

And... your summer range (converted to mi) of 3.9 to 4.8mi/kW is almost as good as we get here with the crappy OEM all-season tires (which are a complete joke in snow).

At this point, with all the positive Nokian WRG4 reviews... when my OEM all-season tires wear out- I think I'll go with the Nokian's and skip the winter/spring changeover chore.

Both my kids drive 3-Series BMW's... (one rear wheel drive, one all-wheel drive), wonder if the Nokians would work well for them too?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Edit:
For rear drive cars I would go with a dedicated set of winter tires.
I should know, I used to drive a rear drive BMW before and it wasn't fun going up a hill during a blizzard in stop and go traffic.
On all 4 corners or just the rear drive wheels?

·
Registered
99 Posts
On all 4 corners or just the rear drive wheels?
edit:
sorry I misunderstood what you meant :)
If you're referring to your son's BMW cars then I would definitely get a dedicated set of snows for the rear drive models on all corners. For all wheel drive, I would have to assume BMW cars are rear drive biased and I would think it's best to still get dedicated snows for them. If they want the best performance out of those cars I think it's still best practice to get dedicated snows to mitigate any compromises. I think all weather tires are still relatively new to the market and the ones who have them like me are sort of guinea pigs who test them out.

As for my Nokian WRG4 fading problem with only 18,000KM (driven reasonably conservatively):
Yes on all four corners, I did rotate them once (front to back) but the sipes on all corners did show some signs of fading/disappearing.
A little bit disappointed with the quality with the first set I bought back in Feb for my 2018 Bolt. I did get a chance to drive them during a really bad ice storm back in the spring and they performed really well with no issues on the highway and in the city.
I'm going to give the newer set for my 2019 a chance and see how it goes. If some of the sipes disappear and fade after a few thousand KMs then i'll avoid this brand and move on to TOYO Celsius and see how they are. The TOYO Celsius are a bit cheaper too :)

Reactions: NY-Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are you using to determine your actual speed in the car versus the displayed speedometer?
I'm using the kilometer markers on the 401 primarily. Over a 30km stretch I register 30.9km. I've been making a round trip frequently that used to total around 214km, but is registering about 220km and change after putting the winter tires on. I'm just inferring the speed error based on my distance observations I've collected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drove through last winter (Northern Michigan, snow on the roads for 2+ months) on the stock tires, a horrible decision.

Just put on a set of Michelin X-ice XI3 tires, 205/60-16, mounted and balanced on alloy wheels from tire rack. Yow! what a difference -- it transforms my confidence in the car on ice. I still don't like the traction control / skid control, but I'm comfortable the car will get me around most days. Last year I would have ranked it the worst winter car I've had in decades.

Range / Efficiency? I guess I don't care for the winter, though I do care in the summer. I'll just take the gas-burner for the 150 mile days that are easy in the summer but too far in the winter.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I drove through last winter (Northern Michigan, snow on the roads for 2+ months) on the stock tires, a horrible decision.

Just put on a set of Michelin X-ice XI3 tires, 205/60-16, mounted and balanced on alloy wheels from tire rack. Yow! what a difference -- it transforms my confidence in the car on ice.... Last year I would have ranked it the worst winter car I've had in decades.
When my Bolt was just 7 months old I had a perfect opportunity to try the stock tires in a rare November snow that gave us 1.5 inches... they were absolutely terrible. Bad starting, bad stopping and bad in turns. I now have dedicated Yokohama "Ice Guard" winter tires that I put on in December... it's like driving a completely different car in the snow with the Yokohama's installed vs. the stock tires.

Reactions: Hugh

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had great experience with my Michelin X-ice XI3 tires on my Chevy Cruze. I ordered a set for my Bolt and am hoping the bad snow holds off long enough for my appointment. (OTOH, I do have a good amount of PTO so I can just stay home if need be.)

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
I had great experience with my Michelin X-ice XI3 tires on my Chevy Cruze. I ordered a set for my Bolt and am hoping the bad snow holds off long enough for my appointment. (OTOH, I do have a good amount of PTO so I can just stay home if need be.)

I'm assuming that "PTO" is Paid Time Off and not Permission To Operate?

I'm also a frequent poster to the Tesla Solar boards...>:)

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I am trying hard to stick with the stock tires, we don't get that much snow in North Arkansas... but these stock tires suck so bad in ice / snow! I grew up driving RWD vehicles in Michigan winters, and this car on the stock tires is just as bad. I can handle it on the few snow / ice days, but I have to slow it down dramatically compared to driving on snow tires in bad climates.

The biggest temptation is if I get snow tires and put them on the stock wheels I can justify buying a set of Cruz ECO wheels for the stock tires come spring time :)

Keith

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
^ no need to go with the boring Plain-Jane Cruz Eco wheels.... for about the same price you can get something nice....

$450 for a set of four- search ebay for "RaceLine 198B Vector".

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
According to the manufacturer the 17" version weighs 22lbs... same as the OEM Premier wheel.

https://www.racelinewheels.com/p-929-198b-vector.aspx

Aerodynamic... what do I know from aerodynamic? How aero can they be when they're packed with snow and ice that I can't even remove with an ice pick?

Honestly, they look even better in person... actually I like them better than the stock Premier wheels.

141 - 160 of 190 Posts