Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
According to the manufacturer the 17" version weighs 22lbs... same as the OEM Premier wheel.

https://www.racelinewheels.com/p-929-198b-vector.aspx

Aerodynamic... what do I know from aerodynamic? How aero can they be when they're packed with snow and ice that I can't even remove with an ice pick?

Honestly, they look even better in person... actually I like them better than the stock Premier wheels.

I would be using the stock Premier wheels for the snow tires, and putting the stock tires on light weight aerodynamic Cruz Eco wheels for summer use. If I didn't have huge gaps in charging infrastructure to bridge on vacation trips I wouldn't care about light weight and aerodynamic for the summer setup.

Keith

·
Registered
579 Posts
FWIW to others looking for "cut to the chase on known working at reasonable cost" I just bolted on a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 195/60R16 (via Amazon drop-ship) w/ "4-Vision SW60 Steel Mod 16x6.5 5x105 +39mm" (via Custom Wheel Outlet on eBay-- don't miss their amusing web site).

Everything went together nicely.
HTML:
<del> TPMS (I'll have to check on brand; purchased through shop that mounted tires on rims) picked up new wheels automagically; had to drive away from house to make sure the stack in the garage wasn't being picked up</del>.
[nope] (and I'm sure others have noted: make sure rims you remove are marked w/ respective corner of car)

Combination produces little enough speedometer error that it shouldn't be a factor to any but the most number-obsessed.

This mix of rim+tire is 5 lbs lower in weight per wheel than alloy rim w/factory self-sealer.

Cursory check on local calibration hill shows no obvious or drastic difference in RR at 39psi. We'll see; road trip coming up next week. This tire has 47 PSI on sidewall so lots of headroom.

Tires are of course more droning than OEM Michelins. Not horrible.

·
Registered
579 Posts
A little bit of data on above Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3:

33 mile mixed drive about 1/2 freeway, 1/2 surface in 50 degree ambient w/cabin at 72 no recirc, 3 pax with stuffed-full luggage and including one highly aggressive ramp merge and some slightly more stupid than normal maneuvering on freeway yielded 4,4,6.2,4,4 on rolling bar graph (dismissing first bar due to car warmup).

There doesn't seem to be any particular range impact w/these tires, or at least it's within error bars with this short sample.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Above tires tested in battle conditions while driving to Ucluelet BC. They're excellent, probably the best I've used on any vehicle. As well, the Bolt is a pretty sure-footed little thing.

Unfortunately what with one thing and another I did not remember to set the trip odometer and thus get an overall efficiency rating for this trip. Probably not great numbers; we plowed through a lot of slush and spent quite a while stationary while people with more hormones than common sense were retrieved from rocky predicaments and loaded onto flatbeds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I want to make it possible to put cable chains on my Bolt. I am in California and CalTrans frequently posts "chains on all vehicles except 4 wheel drive with snow tires"on the mountain roads during snowstorms. To get up to the mountains under these conditions I will need cables. (Not to mention I have had the experience of driving my "two-wheel drive with chains" past a whole convoy of 4 wheel drive SUVs that were sliding sideways off the road on slick ice) . To use cables I will need about another inch of clearance on the top and inside of the tire. I am proposing to buy 15" rims, and then mount michelin Xice 175/65R15 88Ts. the load limit of 88 is 1235 lbs. Not that much lower than the 91 rating on the stock tires, which is 1356 lbs.
The spec diamter is 24" compared to 25.5 of the stock 215/50R17s. this should give me an extra 3/4 inch, making a total of 1" clearance on the top. Close, but OK if I'm careful with the cables. The width is in theory 40mm less, or 20mm a side. If I get rims with 35 or 38 mm offset I add an extra 6 to 9 mm , meaning about an extra inch on the inside. Of course I lose 3/4 inch of clearance, which is not great, but it the cost of doing this.
Any comments? I would like to get another 1/4" clearance on the top, but can't find high load tires for 175/60R15s. I could sacrifice a bit more on the load I suppose, the curb weight of the bolt is reported to be 3500 lbs?, I won't be adding much more than 500 lbs more going skiing, so 1100lb rating should be OK?
In any case, two rims and tires will be about $400. On the same order as renting a 4x4 for 3 days. So worth the risk that wont work.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That sounds like a reasonable plan, TrngMchn. You'll end up with little speedometer error but nothing that won't work w/mental arithmetic.

As well, load limit interacts with temperature, which seems as though it'll axiomatically be low and hence friendly to load limit. Maybe not good to load the car w/750 lbs and then head out for a prolonged drive at 90 degrees and 90 miles per hour but that's not the plan here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bought my winter tires last night - a set of $55 steelies from Costco.ca, and 205/65r15 Michelin x-ice tires. Cheapest combo I could find for the X-ice that would fit the Bolt with as little diameter difference as possible. Still comes up to $1000cad installed :\

I've had a bunch of different winter tires in different vehicles and for the typical BC lower mainland weather, I really like the X-ice tires. Not the best in fresh snow, but we hardly ever get that here - mostly cold dry/icy roads or wet slush - and a lot of rain, of course. There are better tires for places with regular deep fresh snow, but for our conditions, I love these things.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 195/60R16 tested in battle conditions while driving to Ucluelet BC. They're excellent, probably the best I've used on any vehicle. As well, the Bolt is a pretty sure-footed little thing.
Agree, we love the Bolt and love the Nokians, but classifying the Bolt as "a pretty sure-footed little thing." may be an accolade too far. IMHO, it's just OK, but certainly not among the better-in-snow FWD cars we've owned over the years; Saabs definitely being the best.

Interestingly, having a very stiff platform and short suspension travel may be an advantage in dry road stiction, but snow traction seems to benefit from a looser package.

jack vines

·
Registered
579 Posts
Agree, we love the Bolt and love the Nokians, but classifying the Bolt as "a pretty sure-footed little thing." may be an accolade too far. IMHO, it's just OK, but certainly not among the better-in-snow FWD cars we've owned over the years; Saabs definitely being the best.

Interestingly, having a very stiff platform and short suspension travel may be an advantage in dry road stiction, but snow traction seems to benefit from a looser package.

jack vines
Yeah, it's hardly a scientific review on my part. Partly impressionist via horrified observation of a BMW X5 almost plowing into us from behind, repeatedly. Not so much a matter of the vehicle's attributes as the slow learner behind the wheel. Canadian plates, too.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Removed Nokians, back to OEM. 3 standard runs Seattle to Bellingham and back w/all else more or less equal (this still ain't science, strictly speaking) indicates about 3.5kWh/100 miles less dissipation.

The important difference: for me returning home with 1/8th of a battery (166 miles, heat set to "toasty," 35-40 degrees F, 60-70 MPH 90%) is some kind of psychological threshold; makes me nervous. Getting home w/20% is "OK." This means I can avoid using the most convenient CS in Bellingham, awkwardly only steps away from a wood-fired pizza shop and a killer burger joint. After three trips my arteries are already feeling softer and more pliable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright,
since we talk snow here and cold weather, lets not forget to recommend appropriate Propane Heater like "Coleman" for the interior to ease the range deterioration anxiety and risk of hypothermia if juice runs out!
LOL
Also great at causing asphyxiation from carbon monoxide poisoning. Just wear a sweater bruh.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I logged into tirerack and they suggest a 16" wheel with 38mm offset with 215/55R16 tires. I might go for this

·
Registered
12 Posts
Salvaged a set of 4 16” GM rims from a Chevy Cruise. The rims were corroded at the weights, and the clear coat was lifting and discoloured. The wheels have some silver decal covering the entire face of the wheel. It was turning into a beast to try and remove the spots that were not bubbled... so I sanded smooth with the intent to prime/paint over everything.

A few hours with a wire wheel on an angle grinder, then sanding, then painting. Two coats primer, two colour, one coat clear.

I am really disappointed with the clear coat. The base colour looked fantastic... nice and bright, matched the factory rims perfectly. But the clear coat made everything darker. Curses!

Original rubber was 215/60/R16. Still had tread left, but decided “new car, new rubber”. The size of the old rubber measured identical in height to the factory wheels, so I ordered 215/60/R16 X-Ice3’s.

I bought at Canadian Tire. They were $40 more expensive for the set than Costco, but Cdn Tire has stores beside my house, beside my wife’s work, and two more along the highway she commutes on.

The new rubber is noticeably bigger, however. Nothing rubs, but the wheels stand 1” higher now... so I guess ride height is 1/2” higher. Rims test-fit fine before purchase, and I put 10 minutes on them after the new rubber was mounted. Slight improvement on dry pavement for acceleration/cornering/squeal. They howl a bit at highway speeds, nothing terrible.

Factory wheels are 45.6 lbs each (6866km on them). These new snows weigh 42.0 lbs mounted, so I’m happy about that.

No TPMS. I now have an orange dashboard light to keep me warm through the winter ;-)
Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Wheel Auto part
Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Spoke
Product Spray Deodorant Material property Tire

·
Registered
123 Posts
I logged into tirerack and they suggest a 16" wheel with 38mm offset with 215/55R16 tires. I might go for this
I ended up doing that with the X-Ice Xi3. I did notice that they have to be mounted on a specific side and that the jacking points for the Bolt are a little weird, but wasn't too bad to swap winter steelies for the alloy. I am buying a little sticker with a Chevy logo to make it look complete though, since the hubcap covers are unbranded.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ended up doing that with the X-Ice Xi3. I did notice that they have to be mounted on a specific side and that the jacking points for the Bolt are a little weird, but wasn't too bad to swap winter steelies for the alloy. I am buying a little sticker with a Chevy logo to make it look complete though, since the hubcap covers are unbranded.
Cool, yea I went with 16" sonic wheels and Xi3's also. Used the pinch weld for a jackpoint as I have done with all my vehicles, all worked out perfectly.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I ended up doing that with the X-Ice Xi3. I did notice that they have to be mounted on a specific side and that the jacking points for the Bolt are a little weird, but wasn't too bad to swap winter steelies for the alloy.
Michelin makes the X-Ice Xi3 tires in the size that fits the OEM wheels, for those who want to use that combination.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just grabbed a set of 17" Cruze wheels last night. They are not pretty, but look to be in good enough shape for a snow set. They came with 225/50R17s on them with tons of tread left, which I hope to sell off netting me free (or profitable!) rims.

Does anyone know if the OEM lug nuts (2017 Premier) will work fine with these rims, or did the Cruze use a different style?

Now to find some tires...

·
Registered
2019 BMW X2, 2020 Bolt
67 Posts
Michelin makes the X-Ice Xi3 tires in the size that fits the OEM wheels, for those who want to use that combination.
Thats exactly what we are planning to do. Just pulled them off the stock civic wheels and have them sitting on the shelf waiting for the Bolt to be purchased, and then plan to put them on the stock Bolt wheels.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Thats exactly what we are planning to do. Just pulled them off the stock civic wheels and have them sitting on the shelf waiting for the Bolt to be purchased, and then plan to put them on the stock Bolt wheels. View attachment 29288
Do the Bolt and the Civic actually have the same tire size? I was under the impression that the Bolt had a bit of a niche tire size - the only match I've heard of is with the new Leaf.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts