Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2021 Kinetic Blue Bolt LT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So returning from a weekend conference in San Jose and not getting any charging done while I was gone (and this is largely my fault for not searching until too late, only then finding chargers in a SJSU lot that I could have used), I decided to try stopping at the free chargers at the Chevy dealer in Colma, where I bought my Bolt, hoping against all hope that someone at the dealership hadn't parked an ICE car in the DCFC spot. (The dealership has 2 L2 chargers out front and a DCFC on the side; the DCFC weirdly not showing up in the Chargepoint app despite being a Chargepoint charger.) When I arrived around 8pm, both of the L2 chargers in front were being used--dang!--but miracle of miracles, the DCFC was free. So I plugged in and walked over to get a bite to eat.

I returned about an hour later to find my battery far from full. When I plugged in, the screen said I was at 29% full. When I disconnected, the screen said I was 63% full. Doing the math from the 60 KWh battery capacity:

60 x .29 = 17.4
60 x .63 = 37.8
37.8 - 17.4 = 20.2

So in an hour on a DCFC, I got about 20 KWh. I was expecting...better? Or are there such things as lower-rate DCFCs around?

Registered
So in an hour on a DCFC, I got about 20 KWh. I was expecting...better? Or are there such things as lower-rate DCFCs around?
Yes, I looked at the closest ChargePoint DCFC and it's a 24 KW at a BMW dealer. It's also not on Plugshare. It will be on Plugshare soon however, although it is listed as out-of-service on ChargePoint. ChargePoint shows the power level if you click on the icon on the map.

Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
Also: Level 2 EVSE at Chevy dealerships (placed in order to sell the Volt, with max charging of 16 amps) are often powered off of two lines of a 3-phase circuit. This 208VAC x 16A = 3.3kW (10 rmpch {range miles per charging hour}). Contrast this with 240VAC x 32A = 7.68kW (25 rmpch). It is small wonder that the dealerships Level 3 EVSE are only 24kW. {The Bolt EV maximum acceptance rate is is 55kW.}

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.