Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in colder climate's to not store Bolts outside in freezing temperatures for extended periods of time? I can't believe that cold soaking a Bolt for a week or two outside in sub-freezing weather can be good for it - even if plugging it in will bring it back to life…

I'm in California - so we don't have much of a problem here - but I've seen dealerships will cars sitting outside with no protection - and some dealers have a lot of cars.

What are implications of storing unsold Bolts on a lot for extended periods of time over a winter in the north east and mid west?

do most dealers store unsold inventory in a warehouse? will they have L1 charger plugged in to keep the batteries from suffering a cold soak?

enquiring minds want to know?

please discuss…I'm not sure I'd want to but a Bolt in march that has been sitting on a dealer's lot since January/Feb. outside in the cold.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
interesting fact from the manual regarding cold temperate battery pre-conditioning - page 135 - can't warm the battery using a DCFast charger…wonder if hte battery is already warm if it's kept warm while charing from a DCFast charger...

"Plug the vehicle in to an AC charging station and make sure
POWER O is off to allow the charging system to warm the high voltage battery, then the vehicle can be started. DC charging cannot be
used to recover a cold high voltage battery."

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
page 232 - When using a DC charging station
with at least 80 kW of available power, it will take approximately 30 minutes to recharge from a depleted battery to an estimated
145 km (90 mi) of driving range. This time estimate is applicable to nominal temperature ranges. In extreme hot or cold conditions, this
time may be lengthened. A full charge will take additional time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
do most dealers store unsold inventory in a warehouse? will they have L1 charger plugged in to keep the batteries from suffering a cold soak?
Up here in the Toronto area, I've only seen outdoor parking lots used for unsold inventory. One parking lot where the motorcycle course I teach is located, most of the time has a bunch (30-40) of Ford vehicles from the dealership across the street, including the occasional Energi hybrids. No electrical for them to use, but those PHEVs only seem to stay parked for a few weeks.

As for the Bolts up here in Canada, inventory doesn't sit and wait for sales, so this climate issue probably isn't a problem. But it could be for the northern states, so it will be interesting to find out what happens this winter.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The cars sit out at all the dealerships I can think of. I wondered about that with my Bolt, it was delivered in late spring and I bought it early Fall, but in summertime we had a week of record heat (115º), my poor Bolt was sitting out in that.

In one of the linked videos a GM engineer (or whatever he is) said that extreme cold doesn't hurt the battery, it just can't produce power. GM did an enormous amount of temp testing on their batteries so this is probably reliable information. Don't know about heat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
In states that don't have EV tax incentives, dealer inventory is not a problem. I had to go two dealers down the road to find a test drive. The one I ordered mine through only sold three and has none in inventory. What you see in California does not necessarily exist elsewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts