Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I made a short pigtail to convert my stock charger to 240v. Got a NEMA 14-50 plug and a female NEMA 5-15 line cord receptical. Then it dawned on me.... I gotta label the pig tail so no one accidentally uses it and thinks there’s 120v on that NEMA 5 plug. Imagine someone thinking that adapter is fed from one leg of the 220v 50amp plug when in reality it’s feeding 220v. Plug in a 120v appliance and you’ll damage the appliance.

Even better solution.... cut off the male 120v plug that comes with the stock Chevy charger and replace it with a NEMA 6-15 (220v) plug. Now make a pigtail to adapt a female 220v recepticle to a NEMA 5-15 120v plug. That way if anyone unknowingly plugs something in to the pigtail, the worst case would be a 220v device fed with 120v - no problem. But that 220v flat prong plug is so uncommon around the house that surely no one would try to use the pigtail.

For all the odd and end pigtails, adapt them all to the NEMA 6-15 plug.

On a humorous note... years ago a friend of mine had a problem with his bro in law borrowing his tools. So he cut off the power plugs and replaced with a twist and lock plug. Then he made ONE twist and lock to NEMA 5-15 adapter which he kept in his truck. Volla.... his tools never ended up at bro in law’s house again.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The dual voltage stock EVSE on the 2018 Nissan LEAF comes with a 6-15 (or 240V, 15A) plug, and an custom adapter that snaps over it to make it a 5-15, for this very reason. Then you can buy any 240V to 6-15 adapter you want without any safety concerns.

A much nicer solution.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used a standard 120v 15 amp connector some romex 12/2 and hooked it up to 240 volt circut breaker 2 hot 1 ground. I sharpeed the connector "240V"
All the wiring and connectors stay cool. No need to modify the evse.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
When doing this, I made **** sure no one was going to easily plug in a 5-15 appliance into my adapter cable. I both zip-tied the EVSE's 5-15p to the adapter cable and I enclosed the entire junction in an old grade school pencil box that I drilled dozens of 3/8" ventilation holes into and zip-tied shut through the same holes.

I then sharpied onto the box warnings that only I will read.

I made sure my adapter was long enough I could set the box on the cement ground and have it reach the NEMA 10-30r higher up the wall and use 10AWG wiring to handle the [email protected] constant load. When I had this running during the summer on 85F days, even after chargin for 4 hrs the measured via infrared thermometer a temperature rise above ambient of 20F-30F depending on where on the EVSE, the EVSE's 5-15p, and the J1772 cable jacket. The adapter cable barely read anything above ambient likely due to the thick AWG and beefy 10-30p end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts