Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1225 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Interesting...
That certainly sounds like they found something that they have addressed (or believe they have)...
Otherwise, why recall the newer models???

Hmmm...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Because the 2020 Bolt burned, and maybe because of the ID3 too. LG, and the entire legacy auto industry may have a problem...Houston.
Yep, I get that...
But I am wondering about, do they have a "fix" to the problem?
Did they expand the recall (which will be replacing batteries with new batteries) or is this another situation where the previous recall failed and they are starting a new one.
From the description, it sounds like they are expanding the existing recall.
Which makes me wonder if they have a change in process or something that they believe they can implement (or have implemented?) as part of the existing in-process recall...

Otherwise, I might expect them to halt the current recall and start a new one...

Maybe not, but it makes me wonder...
(It's funny. Makes me realize what an optimist I am... My initial reaction was positive... Maybe this means they have finally identified the specifics and have a fix they are or can deploy. Many other reactions don't appear to be seeing it that way..) ;-) ;-) ;-)

·
Registered
242 Posts
My wife just sent me a link. I was happy till now, not sure how I'll handle it. I'm not particuarly concerned as I have only run mine down below to 38 miles one time and very seldom below half. Mostly leave it plugged in but only use 12A charger. I charge to 85 or 90 percent most all of the time. Leaving in a few days for a 18 day motorcycle trip and trying to sort out how to handle it. Don't want to leave it outside but may have wife charge it outside but park inside when not charging.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The press release indicates that the two defects they've identified are "a torn anode tab and folded separator":

·
Registered
59 Posts
How long to replace battery packs in a couple of hundred thousand vehicles? We're wondering if we can just cancel our lease and go lease a Mach-E or a Tesla Y. We absolutely love our 2020P...would hate to see it go.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
The press release indicates that the two defects they've identified are "a torn anode tab and folded separator":

This is more information, and specific information, than we've had before. I have no idea how a dealer service technician will be able to diagnose a torn anode tab and a folded separator inside a cell. The only thing that can be done is to implement improved QA / QC processes at the factory to detect these defects so that newly manufactured packs are known to be without these defects.

My conclusion is that everyone will be getting all new battery modules - including people who just bought their new Bolts today.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
109 Posts
This feels sort of landscape-changing. I am deeply bummed out by this news.
Perhaps because I have a 1H2019 but I'm rather encouraged by this announcement. Certainly seems like they're on top of something as they would not replace all 2020 - 2022 with the same batteries. They're proactive, that's a good thing.
It's either that or they'll go under, eventually.
edit: just saw the "a torn anode tab and folded separator" news. I'd think that just one of those defects would be enough to spark a fire but I'm no expert.

1 - 20 of 1225 Posts