Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1081 - 1100 of 1372 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
If this becomes a thing, Chevy better start buying back our Bolts no questions asked. Kill our range, reduce our usability and now we can't park in parking lots? Nope. That's a step too far.
I can’t imagine it wouldn’t become a thing. I already self-impose parking restrictions. I park away from other vehicles when possible. I couldn’t in good conscience park in a public garage until a solution is implemented. I parked far away from the propane tank when refilling my grill tank the other day. It’s not a big bother for me but I know others are massively inconvenienced and have fewer choices in their parking options.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Aren't we due for some big announcement from Mary Barra today?
September 6, 2021 was the intended date for an interim owner notification. It is not clear whether the "Advisory" and "Remedy" letters sent in August 2021 were an early delivery of that interim owner notification, or if there is another notification that may be coming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If any experts on battery technology can explain this to me I'd be grateful: Is it not possible for GM to find a way to diagnose every Bolt that has been recalled and scan the battery pack for defective modules? From what I've read, nobody seems to know if these defects affect 1000 cars, 500 cars or 20,000 cars. What a waste of time, money and resources to replace every single module in every battery pack in every car. Is there not a way to determine which modules in which battery packs in which vehicles are defective and replace those and only those?

I suppose if that were possible that's what GM and LG would do it. It would be so much better if we could bring the Bolt in to the service center, put it up on the rack, scan the battery pack with X-Rays or some other technology and know which modules are fine and which are not. Those with batteries that check out OK can drive home after a couple of hours and those with defective modules would leave their cars to have the battery pack swapped out.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
208 Posts
This looks like at classic case where, if there's a way to reliably test for the defect, it can only be practically done in a factory setting, not after the packs are installed in a car. At least, the pack has to be removed from the car and the enclosure, to expose the modules and cells, before anything can be done. If that's the case, it's much quicker for the customer, if verifiably good cells can be produced, to just replace everything inside the box and send the old ones back for further testing and proper disposal.

Another advantage for GM that I see is that if all the old Bolts get the newer cells, GM has only one type of cell to fix and all the Bolts, old and new, will have approximately the same range and performance characteristics. That's a good thing for owners of the old cars (which I count myself as one of), and a good thing for GM's internal logistics.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
208 Posts
September 6, 2021 was the intended date for an interim owner notification. It is not clear whether the "Advisory" and "Remedy" letters sent in August 2021 were an early delivery of that interim owner notification, or if there is another notification that may be coming.
The letter was clearly the legal notification of the recall. As an old (2017) Bolt owner that's what I got. Not sure what kind of letter was sent to the 2019.2/later owners.

What kind of "interim" notification was scheduled for Labor Day? Hadn't heard about that. The letter I got simply said they would tell me when parts are available and it's time to schedule a service appointment. A press release or press conference (if one occurred) is not that kind of notification.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We were notified of this latest recall via email on 8/24/2021 by the US DOT, and then confirmed our car's recall status via the MyChevrolet app. So, for us the recall notification date was 8/24.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Is it not possible for GM to find a way to diagnose every Bolt that has been recalled and scan the battery pack for defective modules?
Absolutely not. Some have proposed expensive and sensitive laboratory level analysis that would require much disassembly of the pack. Not practical. Not realistic. Probably not 100% reliable. Not going to happen.

·
Registered
148 Posts
At this point it seems fairly clear that LG batteries are fine, even with the fold / tear defect, until that moment when they suddenly are not. 💥🔥🔥🔥🔥

That would be difficult to detect via software, wetware, or anywhere, unless they tore down every battery module in every car and physically examined each cell, one at a time, to look for the physical defects. What fun.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
unless they tore down every battery module in every car and physically examined each cell, one at a time, to look for the physical defects.
Almost. You'd still have to use some fancy x-ray or other equipment to look for the internal defect.
P.S. You don't just pop a cell out of a module like removing the batteries from a remote. Cell connections are welded together with no non-destructive way of separating them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have yet to receive any recall notice for our 2019 Bolt other than one form last spring to come in and have a software update. We just had that done today.

I think our dealer is either not keeping up with what is going on, or just does not want to admit anything to customers. There service rep is clueless. This software update limits charging to 90%.

My wife asked "We already set it to 90%, but at least we have the option of going to 100% if we are going on a long trip. Will we lose that?" To which the service rep responded: "No. All they do is manually set it to 90%. You can set it to 100% if you need to." (He's either mistaken, or trying to BS her, telling her what she wants to hear. The update prevents us from turning it up beyond 90%.)

I asked about the recall to replace the battery. I said that it had been announced that ALL 2019s were supposed to have their batteries replaced. He was unsure about that, but said he would read up on it while the car was being worked on. His eventual response: "This is changing daily. The latest we have heard is that the batteries will not be replaced. LG will replace the battery controller with a new one that will that take care of the problem." He had no reponse to my question: "How does a new controller 'fix' a defective battery?"

Has anyone else heard anything remotely resembling this? I'm inclined to think it's just more BS. He has already demonstrated with his answer to my wife's question that he will just make up an answer if he doesn't know.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We have yet to receive any recall notice for our 2019 Bolt other than one form last spring to come in and have a software update. We just had that done today.

I think our dealer is either not keeping up with what is going on, or just does not want to admit anything to customers. There service rep is clueless. This software update limits charging to 90%.

My wife asked "We already set it to 90%, but at least we have the option of going to 100% if we are going on a long trip. Will we lose that?" To which the service rep responded: "No. All they do is manually set it to 90%. You can set it to 100% if you need to." (He's either mistaken, or trying to BS her, telling her what she wants to hear. The update prevents us from turning it up beyond 90%.)

I asked about the recall to replace the battery. I said that it had been announced that ALL 2019s were supposed to have their batteries replaced. He was unsure about that, but said he would read up on it while the car was being worked on. His eventual response: "This is changing daily. The latest we have heard is that the batteries will not be replaced. LG will replace the battery controller with a new one that will that take care of the problem." He had no reponse to my question: "How does a new controller 'fix' a defective battery?"

Has anyone else heard anything remotely resembling this? I'm inclined to think it's just more BS. He has already demonstrated with his answer to my wife's question that he will just make up an answer if he doesn't know.
Honestly, since this affects us personally, no salesperson nor many dealers are going to spend hours on end researching every single tidbit about this recall. Some of us are practically refreshing this site and any news site and reddit many times a day to get any new info so if there is an update, you'll probably see it here before most dealers or salespeople even know about it.

Until it's provided by GM directly, ignore pretty much anything a dealer states since it's not their call and they aren't the ones footing the bill.

That said, depending on your situation with the car/needs/requirements, decide what's best for you and your mental state and go from there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Honestly, since this affects us personally, no salesperson nor many dealers are going to spend hours on end researching every single tidbit about this recall. Some of us are practically refreshing this site and any news site and reddit many times a day to get any new info so if there is an update, you'll probably see it here before most dealers or salespeople even know about it.

Until it's provided by GM directly, ignore pretty much anything a dealer states since it's not their call and they aren't the ones footing the bill.

That said, depending on your situation with the car/needs/requirements, decide what's best for you and your mental state and go from there.
I'm not expecting them to research every tidbit. I am expecting them to know that all were recalled, and to not make up BS when they don't know the answer. Just tell me you don't know the current status, and perhaps explain how we can correct the situation where others across the country are getting notified, but we are not hearing a thing from GM.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Why all the drama and nonsense over whether your particular Bolt has been recalled? Just put the VIN in here and find out. I'm betting $$$ that your answer will be a "Yes."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got the "official" recall notification from GM yesterday via email. Still planning to trade in my 2020 Bolt on the Model Y I have on order. Won't try and do a buyback unless the trade-in value from Tesla and the purchase offer value from Carvana both go down significantly from when I checked a week ago because of the recall.

1081 - 1100 of 1372 Posts