Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 1372 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got the "official" recall notification from GM yesterday via email. Still planning to trade in my 2020 Bolt on the Model Y I have on order. Won't try and do a buyback unless the trade-in value from Tesla and the purchase offer value from Carvana both go down significantly from when I checked a week ago because of the recall.
Did Tesla offer a decent amount? They have become notorious for very low trade in offers on non-teslas. They don't seem to be interested in being in the used car business.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did Tesla offer a decent amount? They have become notorious for very low trade in offers on non-teslas. They don't seem to be interested in being in the used car business.
It was slightly below KBB, but pretty much in line with Carvana at this point. I have to update mileage every 30 days so we will see if they remain competitive as my delivery probably won't happen until close to the end of 2021.

·
Premium Member
2022 Bolt EV 2LT Ghost Gray
31 Posts
It was slightly below KBB, but pretty much in line with Carvana at this point. I have to update mileage every 30 days so we will see if they remain competitive as my delivery probably won't happen until close to the end of 2021.
Run with it and don't look back, then and count yourself extremely lucky. Tesla was not kind with their trade value for my brother when he wanted to trade in a vehicle towards a MY. I sent them my 2022 Bolt EV's info for giggles and those cheap bastards offered 16k. I laughed and deleted the email.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tesla was about $2500 below my offer from CarMax. Went with CarMax because the tax credit for trading in was less than the difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Definitely worth finding out the GM buyback amount before jumping to a third party to sell it at a seemingly low amount.
Agreed. Keep in mind when figuring out an estimate for BuyBack, GM takes off any rebates or incentives paid during purchase, then they take mileage and usage (about .33 mi). So I determined that at most I lost about $1500 going with CarMax, but I didn't have the brain damage of dealing with GM for the next 2 months waiting for it to happen while having to front a Model 3.

Reactions: MDBolt

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depends what your state's lemon laws will do for you. In FL, it looks like we're going to get back the full amount we paid out of pocket for our new 2021 Bolt, including tax, tags, title, and fuel costs incurred while using their free loaner.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
343 Posts
Depends what your state's lemon laws will do for you. In FL, it looks like we're going to get back the full amount we paid out of pocket for our new 2021 Bolt, including tax, tags, title, and fuel costs incurred while using their free loaner.
I had to go thru that mess with a new 2019 C7 Vette that had a bad rear end and shudder at 400 miles. I sure don't wanna deal with another lemon law this soon. They had the same problems in 2015 to 2019 C7's and never fixed the problems in all them model years. So called fluid changes did nothing for the A8 shudder.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m two weeks (allegedly) from a dealer buyback in California (once a dealer has room to accept the car??). The way they have handled this is terrible and I will never buy another GM product. Since there was a long wait to bring car in for recall in November 2020, I just popped it in hilltop reserve mode (which is all the recall did). Even though I have the On-star mileage reports showing my miles in Nov 2020, they refuse to use that in the buyback since I never brought it in. I’m just looking forward to being out of this car and leaving GM (and the EV concierge) in the past.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know people are frustrated but I just want to interject that we still have a serious health crisis underway which is affecting labor as well as supply. GM is affected by both shortages which are exacerbated by the flaming hot Bolt mess. There is high demand from people to resolve this but Covid is still impacting labor and supply. It might take longer than we would like or than GM would like.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know people are frustrated but I just want to interject that we still have a serious health crisis underway which is affecting labor as well as supply. GM is affected by both shortages which are exacerbated by the flaming hot Bolt mess. There is high demand from people to resolve this but Covid is still impacting labor and supply. It might take longer than we would like or than GM would like.
So buy my car back and everyone else's who wants it. Make an excel spreadsheet with 50 tabs, one for each state. Purchase price minus incentives x whatever unique formula for usage deduction for that state, odometer reading, possibly include maximum deductions for states with those rules... If you know the rules for each state (I don't, but someone there do is) it will take a half day at most to build this spreadsheet for all of the states. Then start processing and send out notices to owners. They know how production lines work. Let them apply that knowledge to what isn't a one off situation (typical lemon law).

·
Registered
47 Posts
So buy my car back and everyone else's who wants it. Make an excel spreadsheet with 50 tabs, one for each state. Purchase price minus incentives x whatever unique formula for usage deduction for that state, odometer reading, possibly include maximum deductions for states with those rules... If you know the rules for each state (I don't, but someone there do is) it will take a half day at most to build this spreadsheet for all of the states. Then start processing and send out notices to owners. They know how production lines work. Let them apply that knowledge to what isn't a one off situation (typical lemon law).
It takes people to do that, over and above their current work force, at a time when the labor market is still constrained by Covid. High demand for resolution is butting into labor and supply constrained by Covid. I understand the anxiety but nothing gets back to normal for a while.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
So buy my car back and everyone else's who wants it. Make an excel spreadsheet with 50 tabs, one for each state. Purchase price minus incentives x whatever unique formula for usage deduction for that state, odometer reading, possibly include maximum deductions for states with those rules...
Would require executive approval so it will never happen. Executive types think that they have to hold all information in their back pocket and just parse out what they think the customer should hear as they see fit.

Once I was brought into a conference call with a customer to discuss technical issues and when the customer proposed a major change I agreed it was a good idea and just mentioned that it would of course take additional time and money, more as a colloquialism about effort than anything else. The CEO hit mute and with a red face, angrily shook his finger at me and said "You will NOT talk about money with a customer".

·
Registered
102 Posts
I sold my previous car to Carvana. Got an online quote, sent them the docs they required, including bank account info. They set an appointment within a few days. On the appointed day at the appointed time a guy shows up with a truck, had me sign a few docs that he had ready, and took my car. The money was in the bank the next day. That is car buying efficiency.

The reason the GM repurchase is so slow and painful is because GM wants it to be slow and painful. There's no reason why they couldn't make it fast and efficient, other than they don't want to.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It takes people to do that, over and above their current work force, at a time when the labor market is still constrained by Covid. High demand for resolution is butting into labor and supply constrained by Covid. I understand the anxiety but nothing gets back to normal for a while.
As much as we want to blame the pandemic on this, I think we have all seen the buyback stories from folks having to go to the BBB/Attorney General in their state to even get any traction (AND, that took 7 months to complete still) so I think we all just feel their delays are self imposed at this point.

Remember, before the Aug 20th announcement of total recall of everything under the sun, people were ALREADY waiting 6-7 months to get a buyback done. That's pretty inexcuseable with little/no communication or updates. I'm not sure if you're in the process yourself, or plan to proceed with a buyback, but if you are or have, your feelings might change with the lack of assistance throughout the process or even reach anyone.

Your comment that nothing gets back to normal just triggered in my mind, that the battery replacement will take 4+ years or longer because again, nothing will get back to normal for a while.

You can see why people have a lack of confidence this is going to be resolved anytime soon by how they are dragging their feet for people who want out, to even get out. If anything, giving those people what they want will be better press for folks and avoid the continued negativity out there.

I think Hyundai offered total battery recall much earlier (Feb 25th this year vs. GM on Aug 20th. No fires in the US I don't think).

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,836 Posts
I sold my previous car to Carvana. Got an online quote, sent them the docs they required, including bank account info. They set an appointment within a few days. On the appointed day at the appointed time a guy shows up with a truck, had me sign a few docs that he had ready, and took my car. The money was in the bank the next day. That is car buying efficiency.

The reason the GM repurchase is so slow and painful is because GM wants it to be slow and painful. There's no reason why they couldn't make it fast and efficient, other than they don't want to.
To be fair, Carvana's entire business model is based on buying used cars directly from consumers and selling them to other consumers. All of their systems are designed to make that transaction as efficient as possible. GM's entire business model is based on manufacturing new cars and selling them to dealerships, so they don't have much of any system for buying cars directly from consumers.

Now could GM contract with someone for a buyback process? It's possible that they already have, and that's part of the logistical and communication problems people are experiencing (coordination between the Chevy EV concierge contractors, the repurchasing team contractors, the independent dealerships to host the process, and any other internl or external parties that may need to be involved).

·
Registered
102 Posts
To be fair, Carvana's entire business model is based on buying used cars directly from consumers and selling them to other consumers.
Sure, I posted to show what's possible, not what I expect GM would do. They won't.

But, for example, I hear people saying they have to find a dealer willing to host the buyback. That is total BS. The GM repurchase team should be handling all of the logistics. The customer should be given a time and place to deliver, or even better, a transport company comes to collect the car.

I stand by my statement: the GM repurchase is so slow and painful is because GM wants it to be slow and painful.

To GM: change my mind.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I think Hyundai offered total battery recall much earlier (Feb 25th this year vs. GM on Aug 20th. No fires in the US I don't think).
They only started to have replacement parts available in mid June, and progress to the beginning of August has been slow (only 3% remedied in the first month and a half).

·
Registered
47 Posts
As much as we want to blame the pandemic on this, I think we have all seen the buyback stories from folks having to go to the BBB/Attorney General in their state to even get any traction (AND, that took 7 months to complete still) so I think we all just feel their delays are self imposed at this point.

Remember, before the Aug 20th announcement of total recall of everything under the sun, people were ALREADY waiting 6-7 months to get a buyback done. That's pretty inexcuseable with little/no communication or updates. I'm not sure if you're in the process yourself, or plan to proceed with a buyback, but if you are or have, your feelings might change with the lack of assistance throughout the process or even reach anyone.

Your comment that nothing gets back to normal just triggered in my mind, that the battery replacement will take 4+ years or longer because again, nothing will get back to normal for a while.

You can see why people have a lack of confidence this is going to be resolved anytime soon by how they are dragging their feet for people who want out, to even get out. If anything, giving those people what they want will be better press for folks and avoid the continued negativity out there.

Your points about delays and failure to aggressively pursue buybacks are certainly valid but remember, too, that the pandemic has been with us since March 2020 and the labor force suffered mightily, immediately, and is still trying to recover. Supply issues are still recovering and have a ways to go. IMO, the pandemic is simply exacerbating an already difficult situation for Bolt owners and GM.

Also, I am not pursuing a buyback for my 2020 LT. I can temporarily live with the terms of the recall and overall I love the car. I also realize my fortunate situation is not shared by others for whom this is an unmitigated disaster. If one is pursuing a buyback GM should move heaven and earth to try to accommodate the request. This is not the fault of any Bolt owner. It is clearly the fault of LG and GM.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
355 Posts
I drive 8,000 miles some months and the GM EV Concierge offered full reimbursement for fuel costs. I just wonder if that chat transcript they emailed to me from [email protected] is legally binding or could they welch on it?

Thats just bullocks. They could pay you weekly. Who wants to carry 3k in rentals and gas. A CFO said they won't have anything until November. No Thats not right at all

1101 - 1120 of 1372 Posts