Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1121 - 1140 of 1372 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
47 Posts
Thats just bullocks. They could pay you weekly. Who wants to carry 3k in rentals and gas. A CFO said they won't have anything until November. No Thats not right at all
Yeah I think it’s becoming pretty clear we’re going to get screwed over. GM grossed what, $222 billion last year?They don’t care about the measly 140k Bolt owners.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yeah I think it’s becoming pretty clear we’re going to get screwed over. GM grossed what, $222 billion last year?They don’t care about the measly 140k Bolt owners.
Slow down there. The idea of reimbursing customers was simply a stopgap measure until they could find a way to get people into cars directly. Rumor has it GM has inked a deal with Hertz. If true, owners should be able to get into a car with no money up front (other than possibly some sort of security deposit).

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
47 Posts
Slow down there. The idea of reimbursing customers was simply a stopgap measure until they could find a way to get people into cars directly. Rumor has it GM has inked a deal with Hertz. If true, owners should be able to get into a car with no money up front (other than possibly some sort of security deposit).
Great, if true. I’m one of the people who can’t operate within the new and improved 140 mile range. Nor can I front $12k in rental fees for 6 months until the first $2k reimbursement.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Great, if true. I’m one of the people who can’t operate within the new and improved 140 mile range. Nor can I front $12k in rental fees for 6 months until the first $2k reimbursement.
Well stay tuned. Hopefully they will announce something soon.

What area do you live?

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
47 Posts
Well stay tuned. Hopefully they will announce something soon.

What area do you live?
Kansas. Mostly 80mph driving. With 800lbs of gear is why I average 3mi/kWh. I actually didn’t know when I bought it in July that I would take such a hit on range in the winter but I had it all worked out. Now not so much. I’ve put 12k miles on it since purchase and was loving it. Until the recall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some commentary on delays of new products: I am looking at replacing an in-wall oven. 4-6 months lead time, blamed on global shipping infrastructure already being at capacity before covid, plus blocked Suez canal, plus not enough truck drivers(covid), plus covid interfering with port operations, plus chip shortage for appliances....I need to replace a couple of rotten windows: That will be 4-6 months for manufacture - covid.....I can go on and on....The shipping infrastructure being at capacity and the chip shortage are one thing, but the real root of all these delays seems to revolve around businesses not being able to get enough people that want to work.....I have kept working since the pandemic started, lucky to be able to work from home, but if anything, working more hours than ever before....I guess maybe I am a little bitter that I haven't received any "covid vacation", but this "can't find enough people who want to work" thing is really getting old....As far as GM's rate of processing buybacks and giving a buyback decision and a cash amount go, there is absolutely no question that if it is slow, it is because they want it to be slow. There is no way that anyone can blame that on a labor shortage, it just doesn't take very much labor at all to arrive at a decision and an amount.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Under capitalism we have a simple solution, offer more money. Or we could bring back slavery. Any volunteers?
I'm going to assume that your slavery comment was made in jest.

Maybe we need to stop paying people quite so much, and quite so long, to not work? (Unemployment insurance is a necessary and important safety net that I support, but there is a point at which it interferes in a negative way with the desired behavior of our capitalist system. NOTE: I don't want to digress into a debate over whether capitalism is good or bad. Since you brought up capitalism, I am pointing out that there are factors at play that are interfering with how a "pure" capitalist system would work.)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Or we could bring back slavery
Wait... I thought we were already slaves to the evil corporations and we need the benign and efficient government to step in? ;)

Employee shortage is severe in Arizona. I passed a sign on the freeway advertising for workers and it said "Just come in. Get paid today!" Signs up everywhere advertising $15 an hour and benefits at fast food places. Hotel had a sign apologizing for lack of staff and asking customers to be kind to the employees that show up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe we need to stop paying people quite so much, and quite so long, to not work?
We have already, and the effect was small. [Some states ended unemployment benefits earlier this summer than others did, creating a natural experiment. The effect on unemployment rates in those states was small.]

Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess Shakeyla is no longer on the Bolt ev concierge team. I my new case manager is Maya. Other than that , no new info for my case. I found this out today when I was online messaging Chevy on the Bolt ev concierge site.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe we need to stop paying people quite so much, and quite so long, to not work? (Unemployment insurance is a necessary and important safety net that I support, but there is a point at which it interferes in a negative way with the desired behavior of our capitalist system. NOTE: I don't want to digress into a debate over whether capitalism is good or bad. Since you brought up capitalism, I am pointing out that there are factors at play that are interfering with how a "pure" capitalist system would work.)
Well, I think “desired behavior” of a capitalist system is highly subjective, and the desirability of working for unlivable wages is becoming less and less desirable. We’re struggling to hire engineers right now, and that’s not because of unemployment benefits.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, I think “desired behavior” of a capitalist system is highly subjective, and the desirability of working for unlivable wages is becoming less and less desirable. We’re struggling to hire engineers right now, and that’s not because of unemployment benefits.
I think this is a generational/societal thing now. People are getting married later, don't have mortgages/kids, lso ess reason to feel like they 'have' to work doing something they might not like just to support a family/bills.

Even with engineers, they want to do what they want to do as work and not just a simple paycheck, even though the paychecks are much much larger than the $15 companies like restaurants/Amazon is touting. They also want flexibility like work from home/anywhere and not just 1 day a week or any of those things (must be in the office, etc...)

If you don't offer that, they walk or goes someplace else that does.

There are also lots of healthcare workers just moving industries from this pandemic as it's just not worth it....(add in teachers, police, etc...in those types of political jobs that they never really signed up for).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think this is a generational/societal thing now. People are getting married later, don't have mortgages/kids, lso ess reason to feel like they 'have' to work doing something they might not like just to support a family/bills.

Even with engineers, they want to do what they want to do as work and not just a simple paycheck, even though the paychecks are much much larger than the $15 companies like restaurants/Amazon is touting. They also want flexibility like work from home/anywhere and not just 1 day a week or any of those things (must be in the office, etc...)

If you don't offer that, they walk or goes someplace else that does.

There are also lots of healthcare workers just moving industries from this pandemic as it's just not worth it....(add in teachers, police, etc...in those types of political jobs that they never really signed up for).
Absolutely - work/life balance is a huge driver. We have permanent switched to a “flexible work arrangement” system since the pandemic. We have it easy in the private sector. Lots of folks leaving the public sector tired of working for less money while taxpayers simultaneously complain they make too much. Any parents know how hard it is to find a school bus driver or a teacher right now.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Signs up everywhere advertising $15 an hour and benefits at fast food places.
I don't blame workers who don't want to work in an environment where they're at an elevated risk to contract the considerably more transmissible Delta COVID variant, or where they're a risk at being assaulted by the people they're serving just because they're wearing a mask.

What some of these state governors don't understand is that you can't just magically declare everything "open" again and that solves the problem. The basic problem isn't closures, it's the prevalence of the disease and people's very rational choice to minimize their exposure to it.

Crazy policies like banning mask mandates just exacerbate the problem by allowing the disease to spread more quickly, fill the hospitals, and make people even more wary of putting themselves out there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't blame workers who don't want to work in an environment where they're at an elevated risk to contract the considerably more transmissible Delta COVID variant, or where they're a risk at being assaulted by the people they're serving just because they're wearing a mask.

What some of these state governors don't understand is that you can't just magically declare everything "open" again and that solves the problem. The basic problem isn't closures, it's the prevalence of the disease and people's very rational choice to minimize their exposure to it.

Crazy policies like banning mask mandates just exacerbate the problem by allowing the disease to spread more quickly, fill the hospitals, and make people even more wary of putting themselves out there.

Hospitals have to now choose who gets care in Alaska...Can't blame the workers getting spat on or insulted not wanting to do that profession anymore.

To keep this post Bolt related, maybe if we ignore the fires, it'll just go away and no more bolts will catch fire and it'll fix itself?

/s

·
Registered
389 Posts
Possibly because Tesla started with laptop batteries as their form factor and then began trying to make larger ones a couple years ago? So if you can scare people away from pouch cells, they'll come to you. A little competitive misdirection can't hurt.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Possibly because Tesla started with laptop batteries as their form factor and then began trying to make larger ones a couple years ago? So if you can scare people away from pouch cells, they'll come to you. A little competitive misdirection can't hurt.
Likely that the cell design that Tesla worked out (with their BMS) doesn't work with pouch type batties and the BMS is what makes Tesla unique. Probably helps that he gets to through a little shade on GM and VW, who were kicking Tesla when it was down in 2011.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've lived through cycles of "take this job and shove it" turning into "I wish I had a job to shove". Back on topic, what's this I hear about not parking closer than 50 ft to other cars. If we've reached that point, buy backs are looking mandatory.

1121 - 1140 of 1372 Posts