Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
121 - 140 of 1225 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
You don't build a new car with a pack you already know will have to be replaced.
I don't see how GM could produce any new Bolts until the LG assembly line can produce a better battery.
A GM spokesman just confirmed that all Bolt sales and production has been halted. This would suggest that 100% of all battery production will be for replacements going forward.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Honda is a full partner in the Ultium joint venture. I suggest Honda give Panasonic a call
Hah!

Panasonic is all tied up between Tesla and Toyota.
And if you think Toyota has been a laggard in the EV space, Honda has not even made it to the staring line. Why do you think they attached their name to Ultium ?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Obviously, this means that those seeking tradeup swaps for new Bolts will not be able to complete them, since they are presumably now under a stop-sale order.

So the choice now is either try for a cash buyback, take a tradeup swap for a new other GM vehicle, or wait (for an unknown amount of time) for replacement battery pack or modules under the recall remedy. It is doubtful that inventory cars will be prioritized over customer cars (particularly the identified higher risk ones) in battery pack or module replacement.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well young gentleman I am a green too.
So I ask you
How many Bolt fires does it take to melt the polar ice caps?
I ask you, is it 1or 2 or 3 or 12 or more?
I suppose that depends on where you parked said Bolts? Actually ON the Ice Caps? ;-)
When does buying a Bolt become productive?
Does it take one or 1000 or 90000?
Depends, productive for whom? For me, just takes one. For GM? Depends on whether you are considering how much value GM puts into the Bolt as a "green product" for marketing...
When does gm cut and run?
Not for this... They made 8 billion recently. This $2B hurts, but they can still turn it...
When we come to our senses will the earth be able to be saved because thinking green things may not help.
Submitted with respect and a regret for owning a Bolt
Come to our senses? I've never done that before in my life, why would I start now? ;-)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Now, I think it will be hard for GM to give a fraction of production to recall victims. They may need to dedicate all production to the recall. Even with the recall expanded to 100,000 Bolts, that may only take 1.5 years.
As of now, a safe LG pack for the Bolt does not exist, and will not exist until the problems are identified and proven corrected. A week ? A year ? Never ? My crystal ball is fuzzy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, then you better add 'full replacement value' to your auto insurance.
Let me know if you find a major insurer that will cover ”full replacement value” for a battery fire loss of the car. Insurance as I know it will only cover it (fire loss) for market value under the comprehensive part of your coverage.

When I worked for a US Gov Agency, all of us employees in a region made charitable contributions (a sort of informal mutual aid society) to fellow employees who suffered a loss/family death/hardship. If this situation gets any more bizarre, we Bolt owners might have to arrange something like this to help the less than 1% of those whose Bolts will burn recover some portion of their unrecoverable loss—just ruminating aloud.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oddly enough, this could actually speed-up the recall:

Before, LG had switched to a 7-day work-week at the battery plant in Holland, but needed to make enough cells for new Bolt sales (3800/month) PLUS the recall (50,000-ish Bolts). My projection was that this would take 2.5 years.

Now, I think it will be hard for GM to give a fraction of production to recall victims. They may need to dedicate all production to the recall. Even with the recall expanded to 100,000 Bolts, that may only take 1.5 years.
That is still a long time to have a fraction of the range, having to park outside, and not charging over night.

·
Registered
226 Posts
they might have to recall existing Mach-E's and VW's to get new battery modules as well.
...The high charging / deep discharging patterns in the presence of the defect make conditions worse
And ID.4 charges at 1.6 C (compared to 1.17 C for Kona and 0.9 C for Bolt). That could be some bad news!

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
A GM spokesman just confirmed that all Bolt sales and production has been halted. This would suggest that 100% of all battery production will be for replacements going forward.
This would suggest, assuming they actually have figured out the problem/s, and that they have a solution for said problems, and how much production equipment/systems will need to be replaced/redesigned to fix it. Then, and only then, will they start producing these new improved batteries.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
At
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/chevroletevgroup/posts/1467915033565400?comment_id=1467955730227997&reply_comment_id=1467958273561076
, Chevrolet replied with:
We are replacing all battery modules in 2017-2019 model year Bolt EVs in order to provide these customers with our latest cell technology, which offers GM’s most advanced Bolt chemistry and additional battery capacity.

Customers who own 2020-2022 model year vehicles already have this technology in their vehicles, and selectively replacing only bad modules in these vehicles will help speed up the recall repair process for everyone. We are working on a process to identify which modules are defect-free and which need to be replaced. Once we have a validated process, we will be able to replace only those modules that are actually defective.
Honda has not even made it to the staring line.
Not sure what the means.

They had Honda EV Plus - Wikipedia. They also had https://hondanews.com/en-US/release...gins-leasing-july-20-in-california-and-oregon and Lease Extensions For Honda Fit EV, Two Years At $199 A Month, To Be Offered. I've personally test driven one before, have met their drivers (in their car) and knew someone who leased one. They were also available in Japan with CHAdeMO (US ones didn't have any DC FC inlet, for some reason).

They also had the Clarity BEV (now dead) in addition to the FCEV and PHEV versions, which are also going away now.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just got my recall letter. It says. "What will we do? Parts to repair your hehicle are not currently available, but when parts are available, your Chevrolet dealer will replace the lithium ion batter modules in your vehicle with new lithium ion batter modules. This service ill be performed for you at not charge."
So that sounds like essentially all new cells and just keeping the the structure supporting and connecting the cells. Virtually an entirely new battery. Now the guessing can begin to do we get 60 or 66 kWhr. More importantly, how long will the wait be.

·
Administrator
2,651 Posts
Oddly enough, this could actually speed-up the recall:

Before, LG had switched to a 7-day work-week at the battery plant in Holland, but needed to make enough cells for new Bolt sales (3800/month) PLUS the recall (50,000-ish Bolts). My projection was that this would take 2.5 years.

Once GM has a workable solution, production of new cars could resume as these would have the remedy. But, they might slow production anyway due to chip shortages and that would help accelerate the recall swaps.

So, split the difference and call it 2 years?

The good news for GM is, they banked ZEV credits, so restarting production isn't going to make a significant difference, particularly given relatively low number of Bolts sold vs the rest of the fleet. Rumors were already circulating of retiring Bolt when an Ultium model is ready. So, maybe they kill the Bolt program and put more effort into the next gen product. And that brings us back to your 1.5 year premise of dedicating cell production for the recalls.

I suspect the next month will be newsworthy on several fronts WRT their strategy.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier, 2020 Bolt Premier
134 Posts
lol ...

Lighter, far further range and best of all REAL fast charging.. sure I'll take one
The rest of the hardware on the Bolt would still limit the charge rate, but at least the taper would be better.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just got my recall letter. It says. "What will we do? Parts to repair your hehicle are not currently available, but when parts are available, your Chevrolet dealer will replace the lithium ion batter modules in your vehicle with new lithium ion batter modules. This service ill be performed for you at not charge."
So that sounds like essentially all new cells and just keeping the the structure supporting and connecting the cells. Virtually an entirely new battery. Now the guessing can begin to do we get 60 or 66 kWhr. More importantly, how long will the wait be.
I see in the above post, they are new design cells so my 2017 might go farther. I have never run the battery to zero, but was down to 20 miles of range remaining once.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What cells is Hyundai planning to use as replacement packs in the USA Kona's? Will these be safe from the beginning or will they also need some retooling first?

121 - 140 of 1225 Posts