1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-generalmotors-production-idUSKBN1A227I

Hopefully Chevy is truly committed to this platform. If it doesn't gain traction not sure what that means for current owners as far as parts, repairs, etc.
I'm sure they are committed to the Bolt, but the complication is the Sonic. The Sonic is in deep trouble with low oil prices. All small "economy" cars are. The question is, if they pull the plug on the Sonic, can they fill the Orion plant with something else? Bolt sales are not enough to keep the plant open. If it closes, where does the Bolt go and how long before it's back in production?

My hope is, if they discontinue the Sonic as I feel they likely will, they will produce a large inventory of Bolts to hold over until production can be switched to another facility. Either that or they can find another product to build over in Orion. How about this? Build Buick Encores here at the Orion plant instead of f**king China!!

Was that bitter?? Sorry, I'll try to stay even keeled, but I really do resent the sell out of the American worker. Sadly, given this global economy and the complete apathy of the American consumer, what is most likely to happen is the Sonic is history, Orion closes and Bolt production moves to South Korea, or heck, why not China? Who really cares, right? :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Chevy won't be giving up on electric as the whole market is moving that way, however I don't get their plans. I suppose that we Bolt owners are early adopters in the EV space, and we think Chevy has a winner with the Bolt and expect / desire it to be a success. But GM is not a thought leadership company as opposed to Tesla, so I expect, until GM sees a profit, they'll let others stay in a leadership position. Once others have done the heavy lifting, Chevy will play. The question being (to me anyways), will Tesla (and other companies) have established a leadership position that will be hard for GM to unseat.

That being said, it's very sad to see GM squander what is a leadership car and to have to ramp back on production. Tactically, I hope it doesn't spell something far worse for the future of the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
With how much money is thrown at EV R&D, I doubt Chevy would put the platform aside for ICE and everyone else is developing their own EV too. I can see why the plant would need to take a production break if there really is that much supply, or Chevy can start producing a few replacement parts for the Bolt. Think someone had and accident here and getting their hands on the needed factory part was a pain.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Things like this do happen and I don't think it's anything to worry about. Yes the layoffs are definitely a kick in the pants to see happen, but I'm sure they're going to be keeping the platform and what not. Their first EV is essentially a success so why not?

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Things like this do happen and I don't think it's anything to worry about. Yes the layoffs are definitely a kick in the pants to see happen, but I'm sure they're going to be keeping the platform and what not. Their first EV is essentially a success so why not?
Unfortunately, in the world of a publicly traded auto company, success is measured in units moved and profit made. What the magazines say and what the owners say is irrelevant. In the light of dollars and cents, the Bolt has so far been a pretty big failure. If things don't pick up after the Model 3 release, the Bolt will start to be an embarrassment to GM.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just don't get why they are doing nothing to capture mindshare. What percentage of the general populace even knows Chevy makes a EV car with 200+ of range? Tesla has done it all through word of mouth but Chevy can't afford to take that route. They need to be pushing ads, etc. At least here in the midwest I have not seen a single ad, billboard, etc. for the Bolt.

I will be curious to see how well this can do in foreign markets. Chevy can market it anyway they want but this in my mind and I think most others is a hatchback not a crossover or SUV. I think the hatchback market is much stronger overseas than here. May take off better overseas since Americans are in love with their SUVs and hatches are non-starters.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I just don't get why they are doing nothing to capture mindshare. What percentage of the general populace even knows Chevy makes a EV car with 200+ of range? Tesla has done it all through word of mouth but Chevy can't afford to take that route. They need to be pushing ads, etc. At least here in the midwest I have not seen a single ad, billboard, etc. for the Bolt.

I will be curious to see how well this can do in foreign markets. Chevy can market it anyway they want but this in my mind and I think most others is a hatchback not a crossover or SUV. I think the hatchback market is much stronger overseas than here. May take off better overseas since Americans are in love with their SUVs and hatches are non-starters.
I understand GM's thinking on advertising, but the roll out to foreign markets has my head scratching too. What is clear is that GM is not a very nimble company. The Canadians are asking for more, the Koreans are asking for more, the Norwegians and the rest of Europe is asking for more and they are telling these people to wait while they pile Bolts up in markets here in the states where clearly people don't want them. This tells me that GM had devised a roll out plan and it's cemented in stone and they just can't easily change the plan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And during this time, i'll wait here in quebec at least six month, maybe eight, to have mine...

Sighs. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just don't get why they are doing nothing to capture mindshare.
Makes perfect sense to me. Electric cars are not generally profitable, but maybe they'll be profitable in a few years. GM made a nice car, got some awards, gained some experience, and made Bolt available to the handful of people like us who are willing to overpay for a nice electric car, thereby keeping their current losses manageable. GM remains positioned well for whatever may happen in 5 or 10 years.

Seems a lot smarter than Tesla's plan, which appears to be: "Let's sell a million cars at $35k, and lose $15k on each unit sold. We're the leader! Yay! Wait, what...we're bankrupt?"

>:)

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
if they would just build something like the "Jolt" they could fill that plant.

http://www.chevyjoltev.com/
Like we need another Chevy that sounds the same! Volt, Bolt, Jolt... which one's which again? I get really tired of explaining my car is not a Volt and it's not a hybrid.

The Jolt idea is nice (I would prefer they do the Code 130R concept instead!), but two door sport coupes are not that popular and fill a tiny portion of the automotive sales spectrum. It's so bad that Toyota and Subaru had to partner just to make their respective sport coupes economically viable. Even Tesla's not going there. Only the muscle cars make sense financially and that type of car is very narrowly defined.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
How about this? Build Buick Encores here at the Orion plant instead of f**king China!!

Was that bitter?? Sorry, I'll try to stay even keeled, but I really do resent the sell out of the American worker.
The American worker needs to sell himself instead of demanding protectionist laws. If US auto manufacturers hadn't ransomed themselves to UAW, perhaps there would be more domestic production.

Freedom to work aside, there are complex politics involved in any large manufacturing operation. There might be tax incentives or markets that are available only if certain stipulations are met (an example might be you can't sell a car in China unless the frame is manufactured there).

It's the protectionist laws that confuse the market and introduce inefficiencies to production.

Let an unencumbered free market, with a level playing field, determine how to manufacture and distribute the product.

Seems a lot smarter than Tesla's plan, which appears to be: "Let's sell a million cars at $35k, and lose $15k on each unit sold.
Are you saying the Model 3 is marginally unprofitable at -$15k per unit? If so, where do you get your numbers? Most people will elect to purchase higher optioned Model 3s anyhow, which should boost profit. Tesla has a high marginal profit with the Model S, and I expect they will have at least a modest marginal profit with the Model 3. A company can be "unprofitable" in a tax sense, and yet still be marginally profitable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just don't get why they are doing nothing to capture mindshare.
Makes perfect sense to me. Electric cars are not generally profitable, but maybe they'll be profitable in a few years. GM made a nice car, got some awards, gained some experience, and made Bolt available to the handful of people like us who are willing to overpay for a nice electric car, thereby keeping their current losses manageable. GM remains positioned well for whatever may happen in 5 or 10 years.

Seems a lot smarter than Tesla's plan, which appears to be: "Let's sell a million cars at $35k, and lose $15k on each unit sold. We're the leader! Yay! Wait, what...we're bankrupt?"

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/05/20/ubs-chevy-bolt-drivetrain-4600-cheaper-thought-tesla-model-3-likely-profitable/

Tesla is likely not going to lose money on the Model 3.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts