Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chevrolet has released a teaser ahead of the reveal of its FNR Concept which will be unveiled in Shanghai.

This vehicle will be powered by an electric motor and will also offer wireless charging, gesture control, pupil recognition startup, and more. It is rumored that the concept might be a successor to the EN-V concept. The FNR was designed by GM's Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center.

We should learn more details when the concept is revealed at the Shanghai Motor Show.

Looks like Chevy isn't done with electric vehicles yet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

So here is Chevy's FNR Concept which just debuted in Shanghai. It's an awesome car -- so awesome that you don't even have to drive it.

Chevy says that the concept offers "a glimpse at the mobility of the future." The future is autonomous vehicles. The FNR Concept is also fully electric and can be charged with wireless charging.

That's not where it ends though. The FNR Concept has crystal laser headlights, "Dragonfly" doors, a security system that recognizes the iris of the driver, and gesture control.

The front seats swivel around to face the rear passengers while the car is in autonomous mode. There is also a roof mounted radar and perimeter sensors that "map out the environment to enable driverless operation." It also uses Chevy Intelligent Assistant software that chooses the best route to your destination.

So the FNR Concept is the future of cars. Love it or hate it, but here it is.

·
Registered
639 Posts
as crazy as that is, we'll never seen anything like it on the road
its real life production model version will be no more than some typical vehicle design you see them with at the time out fitted with this tech

·
Registered
264 Posts
Supposedly when it was wheeled on stage the wheels didn't even spin. And its made entirely of plastic... Find New Roads...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obviously it is more of a design exercise and imagining of future auto-mobiles. Its not like this car is going to be making production in any form. Its more about how the seats turn to face each other, and how the doors open, and what the dash display is like.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Obviously it is more of a design exercise and imagining of future auto-mobiles. Its not like this car is going to be making production in any form. Its more about how the seats turn to face each other, and how the doors open, and what the dash display is like.
And I doubt even those are real. If you can't even make the wheels spin, how can I have faith that the rest of it actually does what they say it does?

They're building castles in the sky but yet they ignore the foundation for the ladder...

It's simply a show to appease government tastes...

From Bertel at Kanban:

GM showed the Chevrolet FNR (as in “Find new Roads”) self-driving EV concept car at its Sunday pre-party at the Cadillac plant in Pudong. “It’s completely plastic,” whispered the man in the seat next to me. “Look, the wheels don’t even turn.” They didn’t.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I understand that it really is more of a model than an actual car. Everything that we eventually build starts out as an idea, a drawing, a model and then a concept. This is just really early in the whole design/technology/production pipeline. You have to take it for what it is.

Though I think that the Mercedes-Benz car from CES was a better example of what Chevy was going for with this.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ok I understand that it really is more of a model than an actual car. Everything that we eventually build starts out as an idea, a drawing, a model and then a concept. This is just really early in the whole design/technology/production pipeline. You have to take it for what it is.

Though I think that the Mercedes-Benz car from CES was a better example of what Chevy was going for with this.
Concept cars, especially of the abstract kind are simply a form of automotive propaganda from the manufacturer. At one time they used to mean things absolutely, but now either they're thinly veiled production cars in order to garner the most sex or they're castles in the sky that will never EVER come to fruition (not even the ideas)

·
Registered
639 Posts
A small very toned down portion of them go into production models. Example, some next gen tech, which has been the case with a number of concept. Aside from that the rest is irrelevant to production

·
Registered
264 Posts
A small very toned down portion of them go into production models. Example, some next gen tech, which has been the case with a number of concept. Aside from that the rest is irrelevant to production
THats what I meant by thinly veiled. Honda falls into that category. Either their concepts are production models sans mirrors and production wheels or absolute vaporware...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Funny how that works over at Honda.

But it's also great as the way Honda does it, it gives a good understanding of how toned down a vehicle might be from the start and how it can progress over the years.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has been a while since I've seen a concept that was interesting and then got translated to production. They are either very imaginative and not likely to happen, or really close to production. Maybe they moved away from the middle ground because people got disappointed when the production cars strayed too far from the concepts that they saw.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It has been a while since I've seen a concept that was interesting and then got translated to production. They are either very imaginative and not likely to happen, or really close to production. Maybe they moved away from the middle ground because people got disappointed when the production cars strayed too far from the concepts that they saw.
It all depends on the concept and how much like a production model it is.

The FNR is light years ahead of what a production model will be like, Bolt... much closer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts