Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Chevy hits the mark, except one area.

13K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  Jcray 
#1 ·
I am now driving my new Bolt (well, not right this minute). I have taken my 60 mile (each way) commute into and from work three times now. I am experiencing better than expected results, in most areas. My estimated milage has been superb, getting 241 miles or more. My expected miles has met very closely with my actual miles. The ergonomic layout is great, with virtually everything at your fingertips. The learning curve is higher than in most cars, but not steep as my 2012 Volt.
One note of interest, if you are planning to get a Bolt, a Level 2 charger in your garage will be a must! Do not expect a full charge on this vehicle using a 117 volt charger, unless you are willing to wait 18 to 24 hours.
We're did Chevy really miss the mark on the Bolt Premium? They completely missed the mark on the DSP tuning of the Bose Premium sound system. This is quite possibly the worst tuning that I have ever heard on a premium sound system. And, being a professional sound engineer all my life, I think that I have the necessary qualification to speak on this. As it compares to my 2012 Volt Bose premium sound system (which nailed the DSP tuning), the Bolt fails to deliver. And, to make things worse, the equalizer center frequency points on the low, mid and high adjustments fail to give you the ability to truly make any change that will help you out in correcting the sound of your system to your liking. Sorry Chevy, but you took a winner, the BOSE DSP TUNING on the Volt, and turned in into a loser, THE DSP TUNING on the Bolt.

See less See more
#2 ·
First world problem. Most here, myself included have no idea what DSP tuning is. Focus on the positive. I think everyone that has a Bolt has something that they wish the Bolt had, or did better. The rest of the car is so great that it really makes all these other things fade away IMO. In your case, the solution is easy and obtainable. Get an aftermarket stereo system installed to your liking. I personally don't like the wheels and plan to get something else.

#5 ·
Yes. I thought I could just upgrade the speakers and maybe add an amp and a sub in my Ford C-Max and have "great sound" like the old days. Nope. Even base model systems in many modern cars have equalization to optimize for the speakers they use. That means you're going to be stuck buying a digital sound processor and spending all of your leisure time with a laptop plugged into it, tweaking away at five different equalization curves, crossover points, and perhaps time alignment too.

My C-Max sounds good now. But getting it there cost me as much as upgrading to the deluxe model with the Sony stereo (and ALL the other goodies besides) would have, and I doubt it sounds that much better.

My inclination now is to buy the model with the best factory stereo and call it quits.

I wasn't super impressed with the Bolt's Bose system either though. It sounded like the LT's system with a baby sub and maybe better tweeters. Which kinda would make me inclined to install my own powered sub and maybe turn up the treble a bit. Right back down the garden path as if I hadn't learned a **** thing!

I'd say the Premiere was about on par with my Fiat 500e, which has the (unbranded) Alpine components from the gasoline 500 Lounge model. The 500e has no sub, but reasonably wide frequency response and smoothness.

#6 ·
:)Lease or purchase? Don't spend a lot additional money on a leased vehicle. The cost to update a Bolt stereo system is probably cost prohibitive if possible. First negative stereo system post if I remember correctly?

#7 ·
I've commented about the poor sounding Bose system in the Premier too, but the sound system is 100% integrated with the NAV/Display LCD and it's probably next to if not actually- impossible to replace.

If you listen to modern dance/electronic/pop music the Bose system isn't horrible, but if you listen to legacy stuff from the 60's/70's/80's it's absolutely terrible. It's hard to believe that for a few hundred $$ I could cobble together a sound system that would blow the Bolt's "Premium" system out of the water.

#8 ·
Gary, I may have missed NY-Rob's earlier comments in the forum on bad sound from Bose premium speakers but I 100% agree with you that it sounds terrible. All other initial threads in this forum on Bose speakers in Bolt were talking very positive about the sound they produce. I leased a Premium Bolt because of that, and I am now very disappointed with the sound. Would have gone for LT if I had known this before.
Fortunately/Unfortunately the Bose setup in my QX60 is so awesome that I didn't expected bad sound from a Bose speaker setup in Bolt, maybe Bose in QX60 spoiled me.

What I am looking from you is any advice on how to tune the speakers for a better sound. Any suggestions/feedback on that is really welcome.

#9 ·
i don't really understand the need for super premium sound systems in cars anyway - there's so much road/wind noise, it's not like you're in a really great listening environment. add that to the fact that most people are probably listening to lossy MP3s (sound engineers excepted) - who really cares how premium the system is? but i listen to a lot of talk radio anyway.

#19 ·
Believe it or not but premium sound is real in the cars and definitely possible to generate same level of quality sound in car as in the premium home sound systems. It is there in many cars, and QX60 is one of those. When you pay upgrade fee to get premium sound then it is fair to expect that level of sound quality. Many people can live with what they got but not all. You would be amazed that same mp3 can sound MUCH better in rightly tuned car speaker systems as opposed to the ones with bad tuning.

#10 · (Edited)
^ If you listen to talk radio... even a single 2" speaker will suffice, but for accurate music reproduction you need decent equipment.

The Bolt's Bose system is a mess... treble is weak, mid's are muddling and bass from the sub is too warm with the crossover set at a too high frequency.
There's just no "crispness" or punch coming from it.
Maybe it would sound better with some 3-way speakers and a sub with an adjustable crossover and gain control? Or maybe the head unit sucks too?

For a $495 upcharge over the LT sound system the Bolt's Bose system is waaaaaay overpriced IMO.

#11 ·
We are loving our Bolt as well and get better than 238 miles, even when using the air conditioning. With climate control off we are generally in the 260 - 300 miles of estimated range.

I wish the sound system were better too.

As for a Level 2 charger, I think it depends on how you use the car. We have been driving an EV for about 3 1/2 years and charging on 120. Normally, we just use it to get around town (Seattle) and occasionally longer distances. It would be nice to have a Level 2 charger, but over the past 3 1/2 years there have been maybe 10 times where it would have been useful. At 60 miles each way for a commute I agree, it's more of a must.

#13 · (Edited)
No need for new system.

OK , for those that are not aware of exactly what DSP is and does, here is my simplified explanation. DSP (Digital Signal Processing), is the system used, through a computer interface, that allows for the shaping of the sound in a modern car stereo, home stereo, and even in professional sound reinforcement systems (like the sound systems used at concerts). There would be no need for anyone to even consider replacing the audio system in their Bolt. The fix is in the hands of the manufacturer, Chevrolet. It would not be very difficult to send out a software update, that would re-visit the poorly tuned DSP, and update the DSP to a tuning that would sound as good as the 2012 Premium Volt Bose Premium sound system. After all, both systems are Bose sound systems. Let this be my official plea to Chevrolet, please re-visit the DSP tuning in the Bolt Premium edition Bose sound system, and fix it.

#15 ·
You are of course not serious. Really, your answer would be to buy an after market stereo, and just slap it into your new Bolt??
After paying for the premium upgraded Bose sound system?
I suggest that you become more informed before making such outlandish suggestions.
It would not take much for Chevy to roll out a software upgrade to address this situation.
The problem is not the hardware.

#17 ·
I guess it's a matter of perspective. Many do not expect much from a factory sound system and routinely swap out brand new radios and modify factory systems to their liking. Some here on these forums have already done so. Presumably you listened to the Bose system before you bought?

Anyhow, it's unlikely that Chevy will retune at this point. Clearly chevy did their tune and was OK with it. Who decides what is right or wrong? Maybe when the Buick version of the Bolt comes out they'll change it, or maybe they'll add an graphic EQ option to the software, or maybe the aftermarket hackers will figure out how to unlock GM's code and they can fix it. In the mean time it is what it is.

#18 ·
For those that asked if I could recommend settings more acceptable for the Bose Premium Sound system, I am ready to send a picture of my settings. It took considerable time, and trip (1225 miles) for me to settle in on what I found to work for me. I hope that you all find this helpful. Please note the the image will apper to be slightly behind you. This setting will however, give you a thick and rich sound with plenty of articulation.

Attachments

#21 ·
OP, thanks for your efforts.

I agree that the sound system is an area on the Bolt Premier that I find lacking. The factory Dynadudio system in my 2011 VW Tiguan ICEV, with no sub, has better bass response and imaging.

I’m hoping that there will be a software update to allow, at least, for more precise equalization settings.

And yes, first-world problem indeed...but we paid first-world money for this thing. Getting good, balanced sound isn’t a hard thing to accomplish nowadays. When it’s absent, it’s especially notable.

That said...two weeks in and I’m still in love with my Bolt, haha!! It’s been a long time since I’ve I had car that makes me smile everytime I climb in. :D

#22 ·
If I were a automobile stereo manufacturer- I'd be plenty worried about my future right about now.
With ever more popular embedded/integrated "infotainment" systems it would be ridiculously expensive if not actually impossible to replace the factory "stereo" with an upgraded unit. I started driving in 1979, and up till my first Prius in 2012 I think I replaced the stock factory stereo in every vehicle I owned. That stopped with the Prius, and the Volt and now with the Bolt too. It's a shame when you had a better car sound system 20years ago than in your current $40K vehicle.

#26 ·
Mine is faded just level with the backs of the front seats in the diagram.
I tried the recommended settings and it did sound good, but I didn't like having voices and music coming from in back of me.
I've got the bass up one minimum notch, and the mids and highs at center. The sound is about what I'd expect from a minimally-upgraded car stereo, i.e. a bit better than a portable boom-box.

#29 ·
Agree 100 %, The bose sound system is certainly not a strong point. The car is fantastic, I payed extra to get the extra sound upgrade expecting something good for a car. The bose bass response is a joke, farty loose mudy bass, I guess some like it. the upper mids are bad and harsh. The eq control is not very good adjusting the bass just add ultra low loose mud. my next step it to see if the sound can be improved by using my LGv30 straight in the aux in.
I have to admit I listen to music home on a high end 845 single end tube amp. My other car is a focus SE 2012 wich stock radio sound pretty good using aux in.
with time I will get use to it, it is a fantastic car overall.

#30 ·
Agree 100 %, The bose sound system is certainly not a strong point. ...... I payed (sic) extra to get the extra sound upgrade expecting something good for a car. The bose bass response is a joke, farty loose mudy bass, ........ the upper mids are bad and harsh. The eq control is not very good adjusting the bass just add ultra low loose mud. my next step it to see if the sound can be improved by using my LGv30 straight in the aux in.
I totally agree with this way of describing the Bose sound in the Bolt EV. Bose in general provides lousy sound from the point of view of audiophiles, including the Bose in this car. Even before I bought the car, I groaned when I realized it had a Bose sounds system in it. Bose thinks it knows best what sounds best, and messes with the frequency response according to its tastes, not an audiophile's taste. I have always hated that. Indeed, its tough to find out the frequency response of Bose equipment.

#32 ·
I removed my harsh opinion on the bose system in the bolt premier. Adjusting the fadder more in the back make things better. I still find on some track the bass gets pretty loose and deep. I Wich there would be a low cut to remove 50 Hz or less. I wouldn't mind tighter bass response.
The quality of the sound will depend a lot on the quality of the tracks your playing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.