Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think you are right. Given that the Bolt is billed as a technologically advanced vehicle, they would have to put in CarPlay or Android Auto since their other vehicles are getting it.

I have a feeling these systems will become industry standard and will be much better than the systems that all the different automakers have been making over the last number of years.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think you are right. Given that the Bolt is billed as a technologically advanced vehicle, they would have to put in CarPlay or Android Auto since their other vehicles are getting it.

I have a feeling these systems will become industry standard and will be much better than the systems that all the different automakers have been making over the last number of years.
Better in what way? I keep reading that the ultimate goal is turning the dashboard into a smartphone....but its illegal to use smartphones while driving, I guess that is unless its part of the car itself!

What's heralded about these systems...all your phones information is displayed on the screen, better access to apps, a more immersive experience. What do these things mean to driving, ostensibly to me it signals a further degradation in the ability of people to pilot 3,000 lbs of speeding projectile. Its OK Collision avoidance will probably save us, its statistically advantageous...

Its like layers of attention, we're driving which consumes out attention, but we also need something to consume our attention from our consumed attention, otherwise we might get bored...

·
Registered
639 Posts
From one occupation to another, the industry will always be like this unfortunately; telling you one thing is wrong because their real reasoning behind it is they can't profit from it :D

Profit is their motivator.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Must like updates that are pushed to phones, same can be expected of these. Folks won't feel as left out as the years go on.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It should be wireless, I'm under the assumption that you connect your phone to the system via Bluetooth as that seems to be the standard these days.
CarPlay and Android Auto require(d) a wired connection, not something Chevy has (had?) control of.

Both have announced that they will be adding wireless support (Apple may have it already), but my experience with bluetooth is that is less than rock solid. Some devices are even having some issues with the wired connection (LG G4 & G5, Samsungs running Marshmallow).

We could very well see an update (OTA) to the Bolt to support wireless in the future

·
Registered
735 Posts
One important thing about the Bluetooth system is to make sure you know what build of Bluetooth it is since not all headphones work with all bluetooth systems. It's weird. But as we get more and more wireless, depending on bluetooth and bluetooth-like technology, its something that will show up here eventually.

·
Banned
350 Posts
USB attach also charges the phone, of course. I'm really happy they implemented Android Auto, as they didn't on the Spark EV.
And personally I'd much rather have phone-based Google Maps on the center console than any other mapping SW - much better than paying the car mfr. for occasional software and map updates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts