Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Very few people that I have talked to have any idea what the Chevy Bolt is. Most are aware to the Volt and then confuse the two.
That's to be expected since they haven't done any campaigns that reaches out to the masses or provides that sort of visibility of the product.

What's going to help is with ride sharing services picking these up. Once that happens you'll have a lot of non-owners that really know about the Bolt.

Still surprised that with sales having kicked off there are no campaigns.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Still surprised that with sales having kicked off there are no campaigns.
I suspect that the people that really are potential Bolt buyers already know about the car and that they are selling all they are building. We have to remember that what kills BEV sales most of all is not lack of information, but rather outward hostility towards BEVs.

Plug in cars still only account for about 1% of car and light truck sales. It's tough to justify spending a lot of advertising dollars on such niche vehicle. They don't advertise the Corvette either.

What has helped most to grow plug in sales in California is really word of mouth and leading by example. BEVs are pretty common here and it really comes from neighbors talking to other neighbors as well as friends and family. The Bolt will sell itself just as the Tesla sells itself.

Tip to Bolt owners- when you give a ride to somebody that knows nothing of the Bolt, or EVs, really lay into that gas pedal. Don't be shy. Make 'em grab onto something, take a rocket ride onto the freeway onramp. We really need to break the image of the BEV as a nerdy, slow, pathetic economy car. Tesla plays the **** out of this angle and it can work for the Bolt too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've seen lots of billboards/advertising in my area (SF East Bay) and most of the people I tell about our new Bolt seem to have heard of it and understand that it is fully electric. Of course, this is right in the target market. In 2007-2012 it seemed like every 3rd car here was a Prius, I'm looking forward to seeing Bolts everywhere in the coming year....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect that the people that really are potential Bolt buyers already know about the car and that they are selling all they are building. We have to remember that what kills BEV sales most of all is not lack of information, but rather outward hostility towards BEVs.

Plug in cars still only account for about 1% of car and light truck sales. It's tough to justify spending a lot of advertising dollars on such niche vehicle. They don't advertise the Corvette either.

What has helped most to grow plug in sales in California is really word of mouth and leading by example. BEVs are pretty common here and it really comes from neighbors talking to other neighbors as well as friends and family. The Bolt will sell itself just as the Tesla sells itself.

Tip to Bolt owners- when you give a ride to somebody that knows nothing of the Bolt, or EVs, really lay into that gas pedal. Don't be shy. Make 'em grab onto something, take a rocket ride onto the freeway onramp. We really need to break the image of the BEV as a nerdy, slow, pathetic economy car. Tesla plays the **** out of this angle and it can work for the Bolt too.
That's the idea right there. Majority of people think EVs are just gutless POS hippie cars that are for tree-huggers. Show em' what it can do and change their mind! One scare at a time... >:)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Slap on a large Bolt sticker and lay on the gas pedal when the light turns green, that'll catch the attention of gas car drivers when all they see are your taillights. :D It will reduce your mileage drastically of done often enough, but electricity is cheap and worth it if you can convert a few people.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts