Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Cool!

I noticed the misleading graph showing semi-circles to represent the range of the Bolt compared to the competition. An accurate way to visually represent the difference is a line or bar graph. The semi-circles are misleading because the total area occupied by the Bolt circle is 4x more than the area occupied by the other EVs, even though the range isn't 4x as much.

It's a minor nitpick considering the estimated range is listed accurately, and consumers should be using that, instead of semi-circles, to determine what they think about it. Still, it's an exploitation of human irrationality. I don't blame them; after all, that's how we market our political candidates.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I noticed the misleading graph showing semi-circles to represent the range of the Bolt compared to the competition. An accurate way to visually represent the difference is a line or bar graph. The semi-circles are misleading because the total area occupied by the Bolt circle is 4x more than the area occupied by the other EVs, even though the range isn't 4x as much.

Not misleading, just a different way to look at it. The Bolt has greater range in all directions, not just a single direction. Think of the circles placed on a map and centered at your house. The area you can reach IS 4x as large. I think this is legit.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Not misleading, just a different way to look at it. The Bolt has greater range in all directions, not just a single direction. Think of the circles placed on a map and centered at your house. The area you can reach IS 4x as large. I think this is legit.
Good point! They should have used a full circle then!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Can't wait till they finally get around to releasing a better version of the Bolt that will get better range, with the other EV car makers launching higher trims, Chevy can't leave themselves out in the dark, already BMW is planning to release an i3 S

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Can't wait till they finally get around to releasing a better version of the Bolt that will get better range, with the other EV car makers launching higher trims, Chevy can't leave themselves out in the dark, already BMW is planning to release an i3 S
Huh? The Bolt is not even a year old, comes standard with a 60kWh battery when the new leaf, Ioniq, and M3 will have 40 or 50kWh as standard, and you're already complaining about range in the Bolt? Interior plastics that don't creak, seats that don't suck, adaptive cruise control, sure.... But I don't think it's fair to be complaining about range...

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
There is no reason for an EV to have more range than the Bolt. At the current range, it easily handles commuting and local driving, even a whole day of Uber driving.

EVs are poor long distance vehicles, and a bigger battery will cost more, weigh more, and not solve the problem of slow charging on long trips.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
No one expects EVs to be the complete solution, or the demise of the ICE vehicle. But the percentage of EVs will "Bolt" above the 1% mark to 25-30% within the next 10-15 years... (IMHO)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts