Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... Chevy finally twisted my arm hard enough and I leased a 2020 Bolt premiere.

I have the Voltec Wal Mounted charger that I purchased with my 2012 Chevy Volt... is there any reason that I cannot or should not use it with the Bolt?

Thank you,

Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
if it has the J1772 connector, you can use it, The bigger issue, what is the output of your Chevy Volt charger? Does that unit plug into a normal 115V outlet?
if so, it will take a looonnng time to charge the Bolt battery. If it is a 240V system, your good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it has the J1772 connector, you can use it, The bigger issue, what is the output of your Chevy Volt charger? Does that unit plug into a normal 115V outlet?
if so, it will take a looonnng time to charge the Bolt battery. If it is a 240V system, your good.
Yes it has a J1772 connector. It is plugged into a 40 amp 240 volt dryer plug... and I believe is rated for 32amps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you folks for the replies!

I am going to start reading up on DC Fast chargers as this is going to be my Vegas work car... so I need to figure out which of the suppliers are most dependable as I have to bring the car down I-15 from Northern Utah

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
130 Posts
Thank you folks for the replies!

I am going to start reading up on DC Fast chargers as this is going to be my Vegas work car... so I need to figure out which of the suppliers are most dependable as I have to bring the car down I-15 from Northern Utah
Get the plugshare app, it is invaluable. Looks as if I-15 is well covered with DCFC's. You'll want to set up accounts with the majors (they all have their problems so it pays to have a plan B, and if possible a plan C. A quick glance showed Electrify America (out of Volkswagen), Chargepoint, and Greenlots (out of Shell Oil) have good coverage on your route.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have the wall-mounted, hard-wired Voltec charger. Mine is only 15A, at 240V. It charges the Bolt just fine, only limited to 15A. That's all I need for daily overnight charging. I did not know they made a 32A version of these units. Maybe when the second-gen Volt arrived with the faster on-board charger?

In my case, I also bought a second EVSE so I can charge both of my cars at the same time (I have TOU, so it is best to charge them both overnight). My second is 32A which also charge the Bolt fine, just 2.1x as fast at the Voltec.

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
Yes it has a J1772 connector. It is plugged into a 40 amp 240 volt dryer plug... and I believe is rated for 32amps.
I suspect GetOffYourGas is right. I know my neighbors' garage EVSE they got with their first 24 kWh Leaf was a 15 amp. It works fine with their 40 kWh Leaf, about the same number of miles per night. They just can't get a full charge overnight anymore, because the "tank" is bigger.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
46 Posts
My dad has the same charger for his Volt and is considering a Bolt. It will work fine but charge slower than what's overall possible. The only thing is if it charged it slow enough to mess with your EV charging rate times, then I'd consider switching to a faster charger to make sure you can fill up during your assigned cheap hours.

·
Registered
2020 Premier
3 Posts
Hi... Chevy finally twisted my arm hard enough and I leased a 2020 Bolt premiere.

I have the Voltec Wal Mounted charger that I purchased with my 2012 Chevy Volt... is there any reason that I cannot or should not use it with the Bolt?

Thank you,

Steve
My 2020 Bolt charges fine on the Voltec. It is also a 2012 vintage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You folks are correct... UGH!

I got the charger out of the storage box and took a picture of the data tag for the electrician that I am going to have come and install a plug for me and it is only 15 amp 3600 watts. I do remember the circuit breaker the electrician put into my previous house was a 40 amp, so I guess that led me to think I had more power available. Once I get the car to Vegas I am not sure how many long trips I will be using it for so hopefully the 15 amps will provide enough miles for normal town use.

I do have another portable charge cord I purchased from a company in San Diego several years ago, but it is currently up in Utah, so I will need to look it over and see if it is any higher amperage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You folks are correct... UGH!

I got the charger out of the storage box and took a picture of the data tag for the electrician that I am going to have come and install a plug for me and it is only 15 amp 3600 watts. I do remember the circuit breaker the electrician put into my previous house was a 40 amp, so I guess that led me to think I had more power available. Once I get the car to Vegas I am not sure how many long trips I will be using it for so hopefully the 15 amps will provide enough miles for normal town use.

I do have another portable charge cord I purchased from a company in San Diego several years ago, but it is currently up in Utah, so I will need to look it over and see if it is any higher amperage.
At least if it turns out to be insufficient, you've already got a higher-powered plug, so the hard part is done.

You might find that 15A at 240 is more than enough anyway.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
240 Posts
My 2020 Bolt charges fine on the Voltec. It is also a 2012 vintage.
The Voltec cords are much better and tangle proof. See pic of Bolt cord on right (after 4 weeks) and Voltec cord on left after 5 years.
absolutely no comparison. What a cheap cord they have on the Bolt,

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts