Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM has announced that it will be testing a fleet of self-driving Chevrolet Volts in late 2016. The fleet will be driving (autonomously) at the Chevrolet Technical Center campus in Warren, Michigan. Employees will be able to summon a Volt with an app, quite similar to Uber.

According to GM, it has been testing the “Super Cruise” autonomous driving technology since 2012 and confirmed that the feature will be available on the 2017 Cadillac CT6...

“The convergence of rapidly improving technology and changing consumer preferences is creating an inflection point for the transportation industry not seen in decades,” said GM CEO Mary Barra. “Some might find this massive change to be daunting, but we look at it and see the opportunity to be a disruptor. We believe our decades of leadership in vehicle connectivity is fundamental to our quest to redefine the future of personal mobility.”
Do you think this means that the Bolt will also have autonomous driving technology in the future?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/10/self-driving-chevrolet-volts-to-begin-testing-late-2016.html

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
According to cleantechnica.com Chevy will soon be testing a fleet of self-driving 2017 Chevy Volts the Warren Technical Center campus. Employees will be able to book rides through a car sharing app and test out the self-driving functionality. Simply push a button and a Chevy Volt will pick them up. Of course there’s more to this ride sharing app but that’s the gist of it.
Not quite sure when this ‘soon’ is going to be

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It actually seems like the logical progression of things when you look at the whole Uber thing. I think it will be a while before this is on the market, but I also think that it may be sooner than we expect. I am thinking within 5 years there will be some autonomous cars on the market. It seems like the big thing won't be owning the autonomous car, it will be access to them like cabs using something like Uber.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It actually seems like the logical progression of things when you look at the whole Uber thing. I think it will be a while before this is on the market, but I also think that it may be sooner than we expect. I am thinking within 5 years there will be some autonomous cars on the market. It seems like the big thing won't be owning the autonomous car, it will be access to them like cabs using something like Uber.
You're right about it coming to market soon, especially as you look at what's out right now and how far away that is from a full on self-driving vehicle.

Something that makes Ubers current business model a smart one, they don't own any human driven vehicles :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Though one of the benefits of the Uber business model is they own no vehicles and don't have to pay for gas, maintenence etc... If they switch to autonomous cars, all the sudden they will be responsible for all the things that comes with owning all of those vehicles.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The biggest hurdle to get over with autonomous cars is the legal aspect of it. Who's at fault in accidents and with uber they're still in a few legal battles with the taxi unions. Even if they have a viable and commercial ready vehicle, legislation and insurance companies may not have caught up to the technology.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The biggest hurdle to get over with autonomous cars is the legal aspect of it. Who's at fault in accidents and with uber they're still in a few legal battles with the taxi unions. Even if they have a viable and commercial ready vehicle, legislation and insurance companies may not have caught up to the technology.
I think insurance companies and still evaluating it, it's going to take a lot of work for them to create a framework for them to fall under, news blogs should report on it when the time comes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few companies have already committed to taking responsibility for crashes. Volvo I know has done so. I think that will be the way things go generally. I mean who else would you blame for a crash with autonomous cars? It has to be the company and the engineers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's how it should be, as long as it's confirmed the vehicle was at fault they'll cover it, with that you should expect a lot of data recording to happen, which some folks might not be comfortable with.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If the car is driving itself they can record all the data they want because it's not indicative of how I drive.
I can see this being great for city commuters who doesn't want to inch around every day before and after work. Would rather get in the car, take a nap and wake up when I get there.

·
Registered
264 Posts
at what cost, the technology ensures they will be far pricer to purchase then a regular car...and it also means that there will need to be communicating infrastructure set up within 5 years...

5 years from now is not sooner then we expect, every auto exec and his mum is saying 2020 for autonomy LOL...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
at what cost, the technology ensures they will be far pricer to purchase then a regular car...and it also means that there will need to be communicating infrastructure set up within 5 years...

5 years from now is not sooner then we expect, every auto exec and his mum is saying 2020 for autonomy LOL...
I was saying 5 years for the very first products, not for it to be completely realized.

Communicating infrastructure is just the internet. Not sure that is going to be that difficult. They may be pricier than today's cars, but they also don't need a driver so for cab companies that is a savings, and they also would probably be more efficient, as in they would have passengers in them more often than other cabs that may be parked or driving just looking passengers which is just a waste.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Autonomous cars would in theory make people much more productive too. You could eat your breakfast, work on a project, or whatever instead of actually driving. That morning commute time would be so much more productive than it is now. We have a long way to go, but at the same time it is far closer than we may expect. In a decade or two most cars will be driving themselves, guarantee that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That will be easily accomplished. By that time you'll have your own personal robots
If you consider Siri and the iPhone in its current state, a personal robot is just around the corner if not already happening.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you consider Siri and the iPhone in its current state, a personal robot is just around the corner if not already happening.
Yeah.

The level of AI and Robots that have been shown to the masses represent that well. With further investigation i'm sure something far more extensive in development will be revealed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The thing with robots is it is hard to make robots that are capable of many different things. Specific things? Sure. But robots that are humanlike in their anatomy, and capable of performing many different tasks. That is way off from what we have now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts