1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
China's EV push is being led by the government in hopes of China finally developing their own intellectual property.

As many as 40 electric, well, “new-energy” cars will go on sale in China this year—triple the number available two years ago, Bloomberg writes. Bloomberg also writes that most of them are just for show, “to please the government.” After they nearly went extinct at previous shows, dummy EVs, plugged into dummy charging stations, are back in force. Combining two trends into one mock-up
http://dailykanban.com/2015/04/shanghai-auto-show-2015-no-babes-more-chaos/

And the Chinese government is encouraging the production of greener "new energy vehicles" and hoping automakers use the opportunity to develop new technologies that push them to the forefront of the industry. But unless its automakers begin making their own advances, and until its consumers start buying Chinese cars for reasons other than lower cost, China's car industry will remain a long way from matching the promise of its market.
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-04-24/china-gets-left-out-at-shanghai-auto-show

The government has begun a strategic initiative to build electric cars on the mainland and is encouraging foreign manufacturers and their local partners to get with the program. So as many as 40 electric models will go on sale in China this year—triple the number available two years ago—as automakers hew to the policies, Bloomberg Intelligence estimates.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-23/china-won-t-let-toyota-ditch-its-electric-cars

·
Registered
639 Posts
40 whooping models, wow. With limitations vehicles allowed on roads and drivers allowed, growth will be slow but steady with all the demand.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read an article today that said that China was getting rid of some of the tax incentives for EVs which is the opposite of what would cause more people to buy them. The government has set this goal of improving fleet fuel economy, but I'm not sure they are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Too bad for people in China, as I am not envious of the air quality there.
No they weren't getting rid of the incentives, they were ending the current program for a new incentive program.

http://english.caixin.com/2015-04-30/100805536.html

Under the plan that comes into effect next year, the central government will give buyers of electric passenger cars from 25,000 yuan to 55,000 yuan. The subsidy for purchases of hybrids is 30,000 yuan, and that for fuel-cell cars is 200,000 yuan.

The subsidies will be cut by 20 percent in both 2017 and 2018, and by 40 percent in 2019 and 2020. The plan also says that buyers must choose from vehicles on a list published by the central government.

The reductions to the subsidies are intended to spur manufacturers to improve their technologies and production, independent auto industry analyst Zhong Shi said.

The central government started offering subsidies to buyers of new-energy vehicles in September 2013. The subsidies were lowered by 5 percent last year and 10 percent this year. That program was to end this year.
Funny though China is reducing the subsides because they want people to buy Hybrid/EV's for the technology not just for the cash benefits...

Its an interesting question, do subsides pervert demand. Certainly but I guess its a question of degree...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hmm, the article says that reducing the subsidies is meant to encourage companiesto better their technology and production. I think the government figures that companies are not pushing themselves to make EVs more afordable because they know that people are going to get a $X subsidy. They just add that onto the price of the vehicle.

It makes sense in theory, but I wonder how it will work in practice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts