Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woohoo! I have finally taken the plunge and have gone all-electron. I drove home a Cajun Red 2020 Bolt last night and am very excited—it's an EVolution whose time has come. I leased a 2014 Volt for three years, followed by a 2017 Volt for three years, and only infrequently visited gas stations (on long trips, mostly). It will be a new experience looking for charging stations on the road.

I live in Long Island and are eligible for a $500 smart charge rebate from PSEG Long Island if I purchase and install one of the following qualified “network enabled” electric vehicle charging devices:

ChargePoint Home, CPH-25
ChargePoint Home Flex, CPH-50
Clipper Creek HCS40 (JuiceNet enabled)
JuiceBox 32
JuiceBox 40

My questions to the forum:
  • When I navigate to the ChargePoint website, I notice they've updated their two Home Flex models (or at least the name) to ChargePoint Home Flex, NEMA 6-50 Plug and ChargePoint Home Flex, NEMA 14-50 Plug. What is the difference between the two, and why might I choose one over the other?
  • Of those five devices, which would you recommend and why?
  • Are there any NY State residents who have experience with this program, and if so, can you offer any feedback?
Thanks in advance!

·
972 Posts
Woohoo! I have finally taken the plunge and have gone all-electron. I drove home a Cajun Red 2020 Bolt last night and am very excited—it's an EVolution whose time has come. I leased a 2014 Volt for three years, followed by a 2017 Volt for three years, and only infrequently visited gas stations (on long trips, mostly). It will be a new experience looking for charging stations on the road.

I live in Long Island and are eligible for a $500 smart charge rebate from PSEG Long Island if I purchase and install one of the following qualified “network enabled” electric vehicle charging devices:

ChargePoint Home, CPH-25
JuiceBox 32
JuiceBox 40

• When I navigate to the ChargePoint website, I notice they've updated their two Home Flex models (or at least the name) to ChargePoint Home Flex, NEMA 6-50 Plug and ChargePoint Home Flex, NEMA 14-50 Plug. What is the difference between the two, and why might I choose one over the other?
  • Are there any NY State residents who have experience with this program, and if so, can you offer any feedback?
Thanks in advance!
The difference is which outlet type you have or plan to install. Both are 50 amp, but 14-50 is the most common RV park outlet so if you plan to travel off the beaten path, go 14-50 and bring the charger for a backup option.

Should be about the same cost to install if you don’t have an outlet yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts

ChargePoint Home, CPH-25
JuiceBox 32
JuiceBox 40

Thanks in advance!
Completely unrelated to EVs, but I've never heard anyone say they live "in" Long Island before! :unsure:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long Island is so big that I don't even think of it as an island. Strange, I know—but also, I don't live anywhere near the Sound or the Atlantic Ocean, so I am not reminded on a daily basis that it's an island. If you want to be pedantic about it, I have never heard, in my entire life, someone say "I live on Manhattan" when Manhattan is obviously an island (but I'm not disagreeing with you, though, that the correct sentence is "I live on Long Island").

Also, to go completely and utterly off-topic, I speak Italian (hence the name Colpo di Fulmine), and the language makes a distinction between large islands and small islands when referring to where you originate from (using the prepositions a and in in statements about places and directions). Small islands get in and large islands get a. But I get confused sometimes (I'm a native English speaker). Or maybe, just maybe (as I look down at my keyboard) it was a simple fat-fingered mistake since the i key is right next to the o key!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Long Island is so big that I don't even think of it as an island. Strange, I know—but also, I don't live anywhere near the Sound or the Atlantic Ocean, so I am not reminded on a daily basis that it's an island. If you want to be pedantic about it, I have never heard, in my entire life, someone say "I live on Manhattan" when Manhattan is obviously an island (but I'm not disagreeing with you, though, that the correct sentence is "I live on Long Island").

Also, to go completely and utterly off-topic, I speak Italian (hence the name Colpo di Fulmine), and the language makes a distinction between large islands and small islands when referring to where you originate from (using the prepositions a and in in statements about places and directions). Small islands get in and large islands get a. But I get confused sometimes (I'm a native English speaker). Or maybe, just maybe (as I look down at my keyboard) it was a simple fat-fingered mistake since the i key is right next to the o key!
Interesting about the distinction in Italian based on island size. Makes sense, although when you think about it, aren't all land masses really islands? 🤔

And as a former Manhattanite, I'm definitely not arguing that the Long Island vs. Manhattan distinction is logical at all...like so many things in American English. Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway? Why do flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts