Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else annoyed by all the mirror finish bits on the dash? What in **** were the designers thinking? "Let's put a mirror finish trim strip...wait, no, a rounded, curved mirror finish trim strip right above the display in the middle of the dash. That should blind the driver!"

There are bits of chrome on the vents and an outline of chrome around the bowtie on the steering wheel. Between the big strip and those there is always something glaring in my eyes on a sunny day.

Has anyone come up with a decent looking treatment for these bits? In certain situations I'd even call it a safety hazard.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I WILL do this. Got blinded by it the other day....quite annoying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is anyone else annoyed by all the mirror finish bits on the dash? What in **** were the designers thinking? "Let's put a mirror finish trim strip...wait, no, a rounded, curved mirror finish trim strip right above the display in the middle of the dash. That should blind the driver!"

There are bits of chrome on the vents and an outline of chrome around the bowtie on the steering wheel. Between the big strip and those there is always something glaring in my eyes on a sunny day.

Has anyone come up with a decent looking treatment for these bits? In certain situations I'd even call it a safety hazard.
A thin strip of matte black gaffers tape dulls the reflections

·
Registered
177 Posts
Added a carbon fiber 3m strip today. I think it looks nice.
Does the stip mount with clips and can it be pried up and removed or did you cover it in place?
Johnny

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just covered it in place and xacto cut around the edges. Was easier than I expected
Thanks. I just tried it with some "blue carbon fiber pattern" and it turned out OK for a 1st try (wrong color, not light blue to match the blue logos on the side of the car, that would be OK but dark blue does not look right). I think my cheap vinyl is not sticking as well as it should "stick". I am going to replace it with the black carbon fiber later. You are right that it is "easier than you expected" as I thought it would be more difficult, but it is not too bad. I used blue painters tape and marked around it and then transferred the tape to the vinyl and cut it out with scissors. Next time I may just press it on and cut it on the dash with the exacto knife. I have lots of material so I can do it more than once if necessary.
Regards,
Johnny

Reactions: shrox

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the same as PRNorm with gray "carbon fiber" pattern tape. It looks exactly the same as his photo. I laid the tape down and then trimmed around it with a razor blade. Looks OEM. I'm still trying to figure out how to dull down the bowtie on the steering wheel. Maybe Testors model paint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did the same as PRNorm with gray "carbon fiber" pattern tape. It looks exactly the same as his photo. I laid the tape down and then trimmed around it with a razor blade. Looks OEM. I'm still trying to figure out how to dull down the bowtie on the steering wheel. Maybe Testors model paint.
Me too on the steering wheel. I had some of the same vinyl as on that chrome, but it didn't stay on and looked bad. I'd love to hear if you figure something out

·
Registered
177 Posts
Me too on the steering wheel. I had some of the same vinyl as on that chrome, but it didn't stay on and looked bad. I'd love to hear if you figure something out
I am considering carefully using a black permanent marker. Maybe mask off the spots you don't want to be black....... (Disclaimer: Attempt this at your own risk.)
Edit: Better yet, Maybe a Light Blue marker.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am considering carefully using a black permanent marker. Maybe mask off the spots you don't want to be black....... (Disclaimer: Attempt this at your own risk.)
Please post an image of the results if it works. I tried to Plasti dip mine the other day while masking off with a garbage bag and it turned out terrible so i removed it.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I am considering carefully using a black permanent marker. Maybe mask off the spots you don't want to be black......
Permanent markers on metal tend to be a bit iffy in my experience. Black (or blue) electrical tape seems like it would be a lot easier - it worked great for me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The key to electrical tape is to strip 1" tape off the roll, which stretches it, then let it hang freely in a low-dust place for an hour or more, so it can shrink back to its stable size. (This keeps it from shrinking over time)
Then apply and trim the ends in place with an Exacto knife.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I tried this with the Sharpie-brand permanent marker and it was hard to get even coats, even waiting about 30 seconds between coats. I cleaned it off with multiple passes of rubbing alcohol and tried again with a more expensive permanent marker a coworker loaned me. It went on thicker but still had issues getting an even coat.

I just gave up and left the steering wheel emblem alone after cleaning off all the permanent marker (many passes with alcohol, qtips, and tooth picks).

Please post an image of the results if it works. I tried to Plasti dip mine the other day while masking off with a garbage bag and it turned out terrible so i removed it.
I've been meaning to try plastidip but was wondering, why was it so terrible?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts