Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The third instruction from Chevy asks Bolt owners to "Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight."

I've seen some confusing information on this. In his article published on Inside EVs - "Keeping The Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV Recall In Perspective" - Dave Brea contrasts the current recall guidance from GM with previous recall guidance from other vehicles. In his interpretation, he seems to believe it is ok to park a Bolt in the garage, as long as it has cooled after charging outside for 1-2 hours.

Article: Keeping The Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV Recall In Perspective (insideevs.com)

Does anyone have independent verification from GM on this?

I want to keep my Bolt in as good shape as possible, as well as it and my home as safe as possible, until they get the fix implemented. But I find this confusing.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
111 Posts
I'm treating mine that way. Of course, my car is only a few weeks old, so no real charging history. So far I've never gone below 100 miles of displayed range, and only charging to 90% every few days. I used the free Electrify America DCFC over labor Day weekend, but only brought the car to 80% each time. I'll charge at home as needed to keep my range in the high 100s to low 200s, then let it set for several hours unplugged before putting it the garage for the evening. I believe I am following the intent of their guidance, since they have not explicitly said to never park indoors.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I also interpret it that way. I have made my own standards for parking in the garage that any SOC between 40 and 80% is well within the “comfort level” of the 30-90 as recommended by GM, and my comfort level as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
We are lucky to have a big yard in the country. I move them(we bought our second 9 days before the recall was extended) the **** away from the house as soon as they are charged. I would really miss the house.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
My thoughts are, GM is saying something like:
Do these things to try to minimize the possibility of a fire. But as we won't guarantee that there won't be a fire, keep you car out of the garage unless you really need it to be there (i.e. while charging). But when done, move it back out!
Sounds about right but the BIG question is; How much does it minimize the possibility of fire, if at all?
I think most people read it as meaning that the charging restriction greatly reduces the risk, but put it outside just in case, which has led to a lot of people following the charging guidance, but still parking inside. It's entirely possible that the charging part does nothing to minimize the risk and keeping it outside is the really, really important part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I park mine indoors on delayed charging that completes to 90% at 8:00 PM that day or the following day. Every day, at 8:00 PM, a phone alarm goes off to remind me to move the car outside if it was charged. It goes outside for ~10 hours til the following morning. Then I either bring it back in or drive it to work. This is how I stay within the recall rules. My interpretation is that delayed charging is not charging so long as the high voltage pack isn't being charged.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
Sounds about right but the BIG question is; How much does it minimize the possibility of fire, if at all?
I think most people read it as meaning that the charging restriction greatly reduces the risk, but put it outside just in case, which has led to a lot of people following the charging guidance, but still parking inside. It's entirely possible that the charging part does nothing to minimize the risk and keeping it outside is the really, really important part.
Small incidence, so hard to draw definitive conclusions, but the occurrence of Bolt fires seemed to pause during the period between GM's first recall (advising owners to limit maximum charge) and the software "final remedy" (when that limitation was removed). GM had also noted a pattern among most of the confirmed Bolt fires of deep discharge, recharge to full, or both. We also know that battery stress is most severe at very high and very low states of charge.

So the evidence is circumstantial, but other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln? ;)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I see nothing confusing in "Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is a thought: just because a particular Bolt had a fire, doesn't necessarily mean it is due to the same cause as the rest. We don't have access to the actual data, and it isn't beyond reason that there might be a fire caused by unrelated issue mixed into the list. If the fire wasn't caused by the cell problem, then the state of charge or charging status would be unrelated. We are on the outside guessing without very good data.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also interpret it that way. I have made my own standards for parking in the garage that any SOC between 40 and 80% is well within the “comfort level” of the 30-90 as recommended by GM, and my comfort level as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm doing the same as you by charging 40-80% (10% extra margin from the GM 30-90% suggestion) during the day. My HOA does not allow parking outside the garage, but I still try to leave the Bolt outside a couple of hours (HOA hasn't sent me a letter yet) after charging to 80% in the garage. I don't feel comfortable with this because I'm in a forested area which had a major fire a few years ago and I don't want to call attention to my Bolt when it's sitting outside for all to see.

Also, fall hail season here in Colorado has already started as of today (big dump of hail this afternoon) so that's another issue I have to avoid. It's going to be tough to keep bringing the Bolt outside, not to mention when winter snow begins.

GM really needs to stop dragging their feet and make it clear when people will get buyback/MSRP offers or new battery replacements. This isn't the deal I signed up to when I purchased the car (which I've otherwise been quite happy with).

·
Administrator
2,651 Posts
And the most stress, by far, is DCFC, but there's no evidence of that being a factor... yet. I just don't think we have enough of a sample size to draw many firm conclusions.
If my experience is typical in any way, the number of times people DCFC with their Bolt vs L1 or L2, the sample size is indeed small. 10-12 DCFC sessions in 3.5 years for me, and probably close to 600 L2 sessions.

·
Administrator
2,651 Posts
I'm doing the same as you by charging 40-80% (10% extra margin from the GM 30-90% suggestion) during the day. My HOA does not allow parking outside the garage, but I still try to leave the Bolt outside a couple of hours (HOA hasn't sent me a letter yet) after charging to 80% in the garage. I don't feel comfortable with this because I'm in a forested area which had a major fire a few years ago and I don't want to call attention to my Bolt when it's sitting outside for all to see.

Also, fall hail season here in Colorado has already started as of today (big dump of hail this afternoon) so that's another issue I have to avoid. It's going to be tough to keep bringing the Bolt outside, not to mention when winter snow begins.

GM really needs to stop dragging their feet and make it clear when people will get buyback/MSRP offers or new battery replacements. This isn't the deal I signed up to when I purchased the car (which I've otherwise been quite happy with).
This was my point when the guidance came out. I am surrounded by dry grass and trees. I figure my risk is no better or worse in or out of the garage. It all hinges on the battery itself, so I do my best to follow charging guidance and take my chances with parking in my garage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I see nothing confusing in "Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight."
I do.It doesn’t say how long to keep it outside the garage. 1 hour? 2 hours? Never keep in your garage outside of time it is actively charging?
If it’s the last, I don’t think they can actually say that without a ton of people rush for buybacks.
I know I bought a house with a garage to keep my car in it. I figure there are lots of others who feel that way too :)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I do.It doesn’t say how long to keep it outside the garage. 1 hour? 2 hours? Never keep in your garage outside of time it is actively charging?
If it’s the last, I don’t think they can actually say that without a ton of people rush for buybacks.
I know I bought a house with a garage to keep my car in it. I figure there are lots of others who feel that way too :)
42 minutes.

I just read some as seeming to be near helpless in the simplest extrapolation task. That GM is saying the car should be moved for a outside for a few hours after charging should be a pretty easy conclusion to come to.

A definition of "few" from an LSAT prep: Quantity Terminology: Some, Few, Several, and Many

·
Registered
121 Posts
42 minutes.

I just read some as seeming to be near helpless in the simplest extrapolation task. That GM is saying the car should be moved for a outside for a few hours after charging should be a pretty easy conclusion to come to.

A definition of "few" from an LSAT prep: Quantity Terminology: Some, Few, Several, and Many
Sorry, I didn’t see moved outside for a few hours anywhere in your quote. Looking again: still don’t.
Hard to extrapolate that info, but thanks for kindly adding this.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
When I got a 240V outlet installed in the garage for EVSE use, I had it put in a place where an EVSE plugged into it could reach a car parked in the garage or a car parked outside. Now that outside space reachable by the EVSE is where I charge the car under the current advisory.

·
Registered
121 Posts
And at the GM recall center:

Font Document Parallel Number Screenshot

Nope: nothing about a few hours here.
So, I stand by that it’s unclear how long because GM hasn’t officially told us. I believe the few hours is people’s speculation. Or it was maybe mention some place but not on the Chevy App?

but again, thanks for the kind reply. Always nice to know who the smartest, most helpful person in the room is.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts