Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I see nothing confusing in "Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight."
You would think but there are people raging that it means "never park inside".

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
332 Posts
I see nothing confusing in "Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight."
None of those will reduce the risk of the Bolt catching on fire. It only reduces the chance of the house/people going down with it, should the car light up.
I don't think the car (or its faulty battery) knows if it is overnight time or being parked inside or outside.

Of course, I am being sarcastic, as well as annoyed that I need to set an alarm to move the car outside after x amount of time when the charging is completed.
I work the nightshift, 12 hours (healthcare pro). To me, daytime is sleep time.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
332 Posts
I know I bought a house with a garage to keep my car in it. I figure there are lots of others who feel that way too :)
Exactly! But I am running out of room on the driveway too. Should I park it next to my truck or next to the RV?
where to park the firebolt? should it decide to burn? take the garage+ house with it or the truck or RV? Or set the woods or fire? Cedar/juniper tree burns really hot with all the resin in it.
DANG it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh and my “first” EV concierge did tell me I should “never” park indoor to limit possible damage. She backed off after I pushed back that that was not an acceptable option. She still wouldn’t give me a definite answer. I should keep it outside as much as possible.
Now she has since been replaced, so maybe there were issues with her. But she never said a “few.”

Her replacement seems nice, but still couldn’t or wouldn’t answer that; mostly saying, “we know some people can’t park outside for HOA or other issues so we say to do what you feel safe doing.” Great.

I hadn’t looked into repurchasing until that reply and decided I should keep my options open.
I may stick for a battery replacement, I may go for repurchase. Timing is the main issues for me. I have a 2019 Korean battery Bolt. If they can replace the battery within a “few” months, I’ll probably keep it. The Bolt is a great car. If it’s going to be longer, I’ll try to get a buy back.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
116 Posts
If somone only has 110v they would need to charge outside to comply with this if they drive over 60 miles or so a day. As it can take over 2 days to charge from 30 to 90%.
Or 70 to 220 miles.
But if they get up and move car before sunrise then they have complied with the above sentence. Probably not it’s intent,

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
If somone only has 110v they would need to charge outside to comply with this if they drive over 60 miles or so a day. As it can take over 2 days to charge from 30 to 90%.
Or 70 to 220 miles.
But if they get up and move car before sunrise then they have complied with the above sentence. Probably not it’s intent,
I'm guessing overnight means unattended for long periods while charging when there are persons in an unconscious state present in the structure the vehicle may be housed in. That's just my extrapolation.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
117 Posts
One of the last fires happened at a very low state of charge after 5 days without charging. I don't think we can safely assume that after X number of hours or days that it is finally "safe" to bring it inside. Much to my chagrin.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
One of the last fires happened at a very low state of charge after 5 days without charging. I don't think we can safely assume that after X number of hours or days that it is finally "safe" to bring it inside. Much to my chagrin.
Well, one can guess and guess, or settle on something and do that.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
116 Posts
I'm guessing overnight means unattended for long periods while charging when there are persons in an unconscious state present in the structure the vehicle may be housed in. That's just my extrapolation.
So people with just the 110 EVSE should be sent alarm clocks. Or better yet L2 EVSE’s and the cost for the 240 outlet

·
Registered
1 Posts
The third instruction from Chevy asks Bolt owners to "Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight."

I've seen some confusing information on this. In his article published on Inside EVs - "Keeping The Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV Recall In Perspective" - Dave Brea contrasts the current recall guidance from GM with previous recall guidance from other vehicles. In his interpretation, he seems to believe it is ok to park a Bolt in the garage, as long as it has cooled after charging outside for 1-2 hours.

Article: Keeping The Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV Recall In Perspective (insideevs.com)

Does anyone have independent verification from GM on this?

I want to keep my Bolt in as good shape as possible, as well as it and my home as safe as possible, until they get the fix implemented. But I find this confusing.
I would follow the instructions from the manufacturer for safety sake.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
117 Posts
I think the goal here is to do what you can to mitigate the risks of property damage and loss of life. Beyond that, we all do what we feel is right.
I will park it outside 100% because I can. I don't like it though. Might need to replace brake system or wire looms or sustain hail damage but that will be my "lower risk" choice. ☹

·
Registered
462 Posts
Your risk of a fire doesn't magically disappear after an hour or two post charging. There have been Bolt fires that have started long after the last charging session was completed. If you're okay with the risk of burning your house down, feel free to interpret the recommendations that way.

I interpret them strictly as guidance for the people who have their chargers permanently mounted in their garage in a way they cannot charge outdoors. They are going out of their way to NOT tell you you should never park it indoors. If they said that, they would be forced to buy the vehicles back.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Your risk of a fire doesn't magically disappear after an hour or two post charging. There have been Bolt fires that have started long after the last charging session was completed. If you're okay with the risk of burning your house down, feel free to interpret the recommendations that way.
Can you give me a percentage of the risk?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Can you give me a percentage of the risk?
No, can you? Can GM? Can LG? If your car has both the defects in a single cell, it's just a matter of when, not if.

I was lucky enough to already have had a battery replaced in my 2018. I have no reason to be confident that the replacement isn't also bad.

My risk of dying from COVID-19 is pretty low but that didn't stop me from being careful about it and getting the shots as soon as I was eligible. My family depends on my assessment of risk.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
No, can you? Can GM? Can LG? If your car has both the defects in a single cell, it's just a matter of when, not if.
Well, 140,000 and 20 lost to fire. The math is right there.
Are you going to sell it? Best way to alleve your concerns.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
332 Posts
right! but it seems that number "20" is a variable, it is an uptick and it will never be less. On the contrary, it will certainly increase as time marches on.
On a time scale- we just started the up-count, meaning more to come for sure. Our best hope is that GM will start replacing the pack or modules before it gets out of hand.
The number chart...Is it going to be linear or progressive? I am thinking it will be progressive.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Are you saying the risk of a 2021 and 2022 is zero? Because GM says it isn't, but "the math is right there" Some people are really bad at assessing risk using statistics. You are one of them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
So, three times a year my wife leaves at 2:00 AM for an event that requires a 100% charge in order for her to make the round trip in one day. We park her car in the garage, set the Scheduled Charge for a 1:45 AM completion, and 15 minutes later she is on her way.

Are we outside the guidelines established by GM because we are charging in the middle of the night? Well, we are not charging overnight because we are pulling the car out of the garage in the middle of the night. On the other hand we are leaving the car in the garage to charge at night while we sleep.

To me this is a grey area that is not mine to sort out. That task belongs to GM. They put the Bolt in the market. We bought the car to be used in the very manner that we are using it. Our three nighttime charges per year represent 0.0082% (3/365) of our annual charging activity. If GM has sold an EV in which its charging tolerance cannot absorb a miniscule amount of charging to 100% on an annual basis without incinerating our Bolt, then they have more problems than any of us realize.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts