Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
If GM has sold an EV in which its charging tolerance cannot absorb a miniscule amount of charging to 100% on an annual basis without incinerating our Bolt, then they have more problems than any of us realize.
Um, yeah. That is why they had the biggest battery recall ever. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
We need full disclosure from GM.
They've already identified the physical problem and explained it's cause. They're giving every Bolt a new battery. The only thing I can think of to disclose is when will this happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best one can do is to charge the battery to as full as needed so that it finishes charging right before driving away.
I believe there is (almost) no risk letting the car sit in the garage under 80% and over 30% SOC.

Mine always stays in that range, and before a long trip (needing more than 80%) I set it to finish charging 1 hour after I need to leave so that even when running late, I only let it sit at that charge only for a minute until I drive away.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I believe there is (almost) no risk letting the car sit in the garage under 80% and over 30% SOC.
As one of the more recent fires happened to a car at 70%, that is an interesting statement...
I mean, it's not wrong (with the almost), because the risk of any Bolt catching fire is small.
Although apparently higher with a 2019 judging by what we have seen so far.

I see that there is X% risk of a fire with Bolts currently. We don't know what that number is, and probably never will.

I see nothing to make me think there is any evidence to show that moving the car out of the garage for a few hours all of a sudden makes the fire risk go away or even decrease.

I see some vague wording by GM and people reading in a lot of things, and that is fine...

And in the end, it all comes down to choice and a persons acceptance of the risk, which is going to be different for each person... And that doesn't make it wrong.
I see people claiming that other's view of the statistics is probably wrong (which is almost definitely true), and yet somehow thinking their view of statistics is correct (which is also almost definitely not true).
And that is fine too...

It's an interesting time to be a Bolt owner... ;-)

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
117 Posts
I just bought myself this:
Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Automotive design Automotive tire

2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV Car Covers | Perfect Fit Car Covers | CarCover.com

It will help me sleep better and protect my investment (a little).

Edit: you might want to hold off until I get it and give it a review... Digging deeper into the site's reviews turns up alot of negatives... Also, places like weathertech (which I trust) sells them at 4X the price...

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
332 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
332 Posts
....I see nothing to make me think there is any evidence to show that moving the car out of the garage for a few hours all of a sudden makes the fire risk go away or even decrease.
I see some vague wording by GM and people reading in a lot of things, and that is fine...
It's an interesting time to be a Bolt owner... ;-)
Very well said!.
:) I am reading it as: "if you already paid an electrician for a new a 240V electrical service to be put in in your garage and bought the expensive 240V EVSE hardwired to your garage wall; then go ahead and charge it up, but then move it out of the garage, because (most likely) it won't cath on fire while charging, but some times after it. (note sure when)." so park it outside just to be sure; to save your home, so we (GM) won't be on the hook for rebuilding your home"
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just bought myself this:
View attachment 37761
2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV Car Covers | Perfect Fit Car Covers | CarCover.com

It will help me sleep better and protect my investment (a little).

Edit: you might want to hold off until I get it and give it a review... Digging deeper into the site's reviews turns up alot of negatives... Also, places like weathertech (which I trust) sells them at 4X the price...
Problem is some of us are just counting the days for our buyback to be approved/car dropped off. Don't want to dump more $$ into an asset possibly going away. I suppose if you were keeping it, that's not bad, but no idea if these car covers may end up causing other issues like mold (can't breath) or things no one expected.

Maybe in 4 months, I'd be out finally and not have to worry anymore.

·
Registered
405 Posts
They've already identified the physical problem and explained it's cause. They're giving every Bolt a new battery. The only thing I can think of to disclose is when will this happen.
More like a repaired battery...only damaged modules replaced.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the guidance is beating-around-the-bush-speak for "in any space where a bolt fire may cause unacceptable loss of life or property, only occupy that space with the car if charging while supervised; remove to acceptable loss location upon completion of charge."

As far as probability of fire it's likely much higher than many people here are assuming, given that a very large portion of the 140k bolts have very little charge cycling history. An estimate of probability might be better achieved by comparing total charge cycles (adjusted for deep cycle) across the entire fleet to history of self-imolated cars. If one were to assume an even distribution of manufacturing defect across all years (which we don't really at this point), then an approximation of risk per charge could be reached. 1 in a million <25% to >90% charge? 1 in 10 million otherwise? Adjusted for total deep cycles an individual car has experienced?Something like that. GM is likely crunching those numbers, even if ~20 "incidents" isnt a reliable sample pool. Or is it "incendiaryents?"

·
Registered
115 Posts
The "don't let it fall below 70 miles" is something that's angering me.
The real data should come from Uber and Lyft drivers and their charging habits.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the guidance is beating-around-the-bush-speak for "in any space where a bolt fire may cause unacceptable loss of life or property, only occupy that space with the car if charging while supervised; remove to acceptable loss location upon completion of charge."

As far as probability of fire it's likely much higher than many people here are assuming, given that a very large portion of the 140k bolts have very little charge cycling history. An estimate of probability might be better achieved by comparing total charge cycles (adjusted for deep cycle) across the entire fleet to history of self-imolated cars. If one were to assume an even distribution of manufacturing defect across all years (which we don't really at this point), then an approximation of risk per charge could be reached. 1 in a million <25% to >90% charge? 1 in 10 million otherwise? Adjusted for total deep cycles an individual car has experienced?Something like that. GM is likely crunching those numbers, even if ~20 "incidents" isnt a reliable sample pool. Or is it "incendiaryents?"

I think the problem is more of a situation where if your battery has the actual 'problem', then your odds are more like 100% if you constantly deep discharge, and charge back to 100% constantly. Once whatever deep discharge and max SOC damage gets done enough to weaken whatever, poof, flames.

Some folks with 100k+ miles on their bolts who have done this type of charging behavior and still hasn't burned probably, in my opinion simply don't have the fault in their batteries so no issue. (like News Coulomb).

Problem is no one knows who has the bent cathode/anode and separator issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks for everyone who responded. However, there's new information that seems to solidify my thinking on this - GM is now recommending Bolt owners park at least 50 feet away from other cars, and on the top deck or open air section of any parking structures.

GM advising some Bolt EV owners to park 50 feet away from other cars (cnbc.com)

That's unacceptable. I can't control who parks next to me. What are we supposed to do - put out orange cones around us when we go anywhere with this car?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Or worse, start getting yelled at for parking next to a Tesla or the like in the EVSE section.
How are we going to manage that AND actually drive anywhere? If I take my car somewhere, I am assuming that I will get out of it someplace and even if I do manage to park 50ft away from anyone else, how can I control what they do while I am out?

Those recommendations, if actual GM recommendations, make this whole thing worse.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts