Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
That looks very hard compared to one of these:

This is a super easy one-step cleaner and it doesn’t streak either. Just a quick mist of water with the included mister bottle, rub the windshield with the pad, and it’s instantly clean. I have never seen anything as easy as this. The extension handle is what really makes it easier.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This is a super easy one-step cleaner and it doesn’t streak either. Just a quick mist of water with the included mister bottle, rub the windshield with the pad, and it’s instantly clean. I have never seen anything as easy as this. The extension handle is what really makes it easier.
I have something similar to that. I didn't work as well for me....But I may not have the proper technique.
I also like the squeegee that he recommends for the outside of the window since we don't visit gas stations and wash our windows while pumping gas.

Thank You though.

·
Registered
149 Posts

I have something very similar to this. While not perfect, it IS the best way I have found to clean the inside of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
I have something similar to that. I didn't work as well for me....But I may not have the proper technique.
I also like the squeegee that he recommends for the outside of the window since we don't visit gas stations and wash our windows while pumping gas.

Thank You though.
I have been using the soft squeegees for decades now in the shower. Hello; tile setter 😉

But it’s kind of funny that the poser of the video shows contortions to wipe the inside of the windshield, and then used a squeegee with no extension. I don’t see much improvement, and specially for a Bolt EV that they windshield goes forward for days at the bottom.

I have a squeegee for the outside exactly like the ones at gas stations. They are the easiest ones for the outside, and the runoff cleaner is easily wiped off before it runs down the doors etc. but squeegees will drip the cleaner off the handle if it’s held upside down which is going to happen doing the inside of an extremely angled windshield of any Bolt.

You probably aren’t doing that wand right. I used 2 of the bonnets: one to move the clean water around and get most of the wetness off, and then a dry one to get the squeaky clean of no water which is when the dry bonnet is completely easy to move around. And even a dry bonnet with no water does a decent job of getting an almost clean inside windows back to perfect. I have one in my car for just such use, and it’s also good for pulling over when the windows fog. I don’t use the defrost, I dry the windows with the wand and they usually stay clear after that. It’s the humidity inside the cabin that becomes foggy windows, so getting that condensation off the glass is lowering the humidity inside the cabin. Just put the wand back in the plastic bag, and in the pocket on the backside of the passenger seat, and watch the foggy windows disappear for the rest of the trip. Unless it’s raining. There is no other cure for foggy windows while it’s raining than the defrost function.

Try it again and see what I am saying.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Squeegees always leave lines.

My glass cleaning experience was from working in the grocery store several decades ago where I had to clean the giant windows in front of the butcher shop every night. The inside, where "stuff" gets splattered on the windows. I learned:
Use cheap paper towels. The expensive ones have loose fibers to absorb more so they leave behind fibers.
Use wet and then progressively dryer paper towels and keep rubbing until it is completely dry as you pass over. This is key to eliminate streaks.
Works every time. I've tried with newspaper but find it difficult to not miss lines and also it take a long time to completely rub dry.

Oh, and for the furthest reaches, just put the paper towel on the back side of the hand to reach.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Squeegees always leave lines.

Use wet and then progressively dryer paper towels and keep rubbing until it is completely dry as you pass over. This is key to eliminate streaks.
Works every time. I've tried with newspaper but find it difficult to not miss lines and also it take a long time to completely rub dry.
This^
The glass is clean and streak-free when it is completely dry, and the “absorber” is dry.
I spent my off-hours while going to college being a commercial janitor of executive suites. The best and cheapest cleaner is ammonia diluted with water. Believe it or not, what is used for the absorber doesn’t even have to be perfectly clean. The action of getting all the liquid off the glass turns whatever is being used into a polisher.

I used small Terry towels with a spray bottle of mostly water and a small amount of commercial grade ammonia which is also in a water solution. But it’s extremely powerful ammonia: if you take a whiff of the bottle, you will immediately tear-up. Even worse is the ammonia used for blueprint toner. That stuff is like the ammonia equivalent of sulfuric acid is to acids.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
5,129 Posts
Squeegees always leave lines...
Angle the squeegee so that you remove the line on your next stroke:

To avoid lines at the start of the stroke (where the squeegee first touches the glass), I start my strokes from the bottom of the windshield (blade perpendicular to the side of the windshield), then curve the path as I pull to the side (blade ends parallel to the side of the windshield).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well, I have been using this technique on the house windows and works great each time. Requires (sometimes, depending on the dirt buildup) more than one initial washes, but final result is great.

I have never tried on the car, though, meaning inside.
I need to give it a try.

One thing I learnt over the years.
A good rubber is a must. Some of them are brittle or stiff. Also, check if the edge is smooth. A small cut will result in awesome line...

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Angle the squeegee so that you remove the line on your next stroke:
Still get a line at the top. Unless you use a rag/towel and dry the squeegee after each stroke, which I've tried and can produce acceptable results. But you still have to wipe good before that, you can't just put soapy water on and squeegee off. So I find it easier to just keep wiping until dry.

Also, I like the ammonia stuff for all glass but I believe it can damage tint so I use vinegar stuff on tinted windows.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I hate the film that builds up on the inside glass. The best thing I've found is using a tiny amount of Dawn in some water and cleaning the inside with that (I use the window cleaner below). Then I wipe it down with a damp kraft paper towel (like the rolls in public restrooms). Then I finish with Windex (or similar) on Kraft paper towel. Window cleaner alone doesn't do a good job on interior windows... especially the windshield, and especially on a new car. There's so much crap that comes out of the plastics on new cars that ends up deposited on the windshield.

Automotive lighting Table Rectangle Font Jewellery

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
1,124 Posts

That's the setup I have. Works great.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Saw this video a while ago. Don't bother ordering the listed squeegee on AMZN. Mine was ordered in early July and China is still trying to drill for the oil to make the product, apparently.
I fear that supply chain issues might have secretly released the Chinese version of their counter-policy Export Inflation Increase Act: ‘Americans not willing to wait, so raise price to increase demand ha-ha.’

Just a joke. I hope 😳

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV
9,636 Posts
Sounds wild but using newspaper works the best of anything I've tried.
What is this news "paper" of which you speak.....?

Yeah, I picked up one of these and it's fantastic. Not only does it clean really well, but the handle makes it so much easier to get at the frontmost reaches of the windsheild.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
524 Posts
What is this news "paper" of which you speak.....?
haha I had the same reaction when someone on the Colorado forums told me that, followed by "Can I buy it on Amazon or... ?"

But yeah. Turns out it's one of those old people tricks. I was shocked when, out of desperation, I tried it 4 days into an 8 day backroads camping trip in WV. And it worked perfectly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts