Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always kept my vehicle's engine compartments spotless, so much so you could likely eat off of them.

Question : Is it safe to hose down and detail under the bonnet of the Bolt EV?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The electrical components are sealed except for the 12V battery terminals. However, with no oil, carborator sucking air, or combustion going on, the under hood area should stay pretty clean. A damp sponge off every other month should keep the components so clean that "you could likely eat off of them".

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Are you willing to bet your life on that sealing?
Do you have some insider information we don't?

Tap water is a very poor conductor of electricity.

The car gets wet from rain, condensation, fog, puddles, and people spraying water into it to clean it. When the car is off, the high voltage battery is physically disconnected. 12v battery isn't high enough voltage to kill someone, let alone pass any measurable electricity through fresh water.

Are you willing to make comments on technical expertise instead of imagined threats?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
Everything underhood that could be damaged by water ingress is sealed, just like any other car. And the HV stuff should all be dead when the car is "off". I'm not 100% sure but pretty confident that a big part of turning the car "on" closes some heavy relays that energize all the HV stuff, so with the car off the only thing that's live with HV are the two leads coming in from the battery, and you can be certain those are well sealed against the elements.

I would feel confident giving the underhood area a soapy wash and rinse (low pressure) just has I have done with all my other cars. Moreso that there are no breathers etc. that I need to worry about getting water into.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I actually never clean under the hood of my cars...Is that bad?
I never have either and I keep my cars at least 10 years. Never had an issue with anything being dirty under the hood causing a problem. Plus that was on ICE cars, the Bolt will have far less crap getting up in there.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Drove my 1993, two door, Nissan Sentra E over 380K miles. Replaced batteries, plugs, plug wires, filters, oil, fluids, etc. Never washed under the hood. Washed the outside once myself. Wife washed it for my birthday once...in over twenty two years. No salt around here. Very little rust when I junked it. Less than I would have seen in three years back up north.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I actually never clean under the hood of my cars...Is that bad?
The hood is a service hatch; in an EV under warranty, IMO, the only technical reason to open it is to top up the washing fluid. I assume that a Bolt is policing the parameters of its brake- and coolant fluids, and will let you know if something needs attention.

This way cleaning the underhood giblets is neither good nor bad - just a personal aesthetical choice.

Tap water is a very poor conductor of electricity. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

To be accurate: Tap water is not distilled or otherwise fully demineralized water; it does conduct well enough to be concerned about electrical safety.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a personal preference I guess. I enjoy having a clean engine bay. I'm also expecting to be asked many, many times to have a look under the hood. When popping the hood I'd rather have those interested in a Bolt to be looking at a clean engine bay versus a dirty one. [shrugs]

·
Registered
544 Posts
A big purpose of cleaning under the hood of an ICE vehicle is to be able to detect leaks. If there is no oil, radiator, or other fluids to worry about, what would be the point?
There actually is a radiator in there for the cars cooling/heating systems. It is in the front just behind the lower grille.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
It's a good enough conductor that people get killed in the rain by fallen 480v power lines almost every year. And DC is more lethal than AC.
AC is far more lethal than DC, both in number of fatalities per year, and by health hazard, which would explain the deaths from 480v AC power lines. The Bolt is 350v DC, which is a lower voltage and safer frequency (no frequency).

I just measured my tap water, which has a squirt of lemon concentrate, and at 1 cm between probes, registered 1 million ohms of resistance. At 450 volts, that is 0.00035 amps, which is far less energy than your car consumes when it is "off".

I'm not sure why people who know very little about electricity insist on demonstrating it in this forum. Glutton for punishment I guess.

·
Registered
544 Posts
AC is far more lethal than DC, both in number of fatalities per year, and by health hazard, which would explain the deaths from 480v AC power lines. The Bolt is 350v DC, which is a lower voltage and safer frequency (no frequency).

I just measured my tap water, which has a squirt of lemon concentrate, and at 1 cm between probes, registered 1 million ohms of resistance. At 450 volts, that is 0.00035 amps, which is far less energy than your car consumes when it is "off".

I'm not sure why people who know very little about electricity insist on demonstrating it in this forum. Glutton for punishment I guess.
Remember most peoples experience is with AC not DC. So we are certainly more conditioned to how it behaves as compared to DC.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I just measured my tap water, which has a squirt of lemon concentrate, and at 1 cm between probes, registered 1 million ohms of resistance
The aforementioned 1 million ohms of resistivity translates into 1 microsiemens of conductivity. I have never seen tap water (without lemon concentrate) with conductivity less than 70 uS. Typically, it's 200 to 600 uS for surface water.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wouldn't some compressed air work? Should only get dust under there I would think. It's my personal preference to keep under hood looking pretty.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts