Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased Bolt in Sept., 2017. Truly enjoying it (and loving no gas, no emissions). Over the past month or so, I've noticed a clicking noise that sounds like it is coming from underneath the front, driver's side of car when I creep forward. No functional issues, but wondering if this is usual, and if so, what causes it. Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone know the reason? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, but this is something 'mechanical'. If other owners experienced this, I think there would be more replies. Must be unique to my car. Will need to 'keep an ear' on it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Can you record it using your phone? Perhaps one recording with the windows up and one with the windows down?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are hearing "Clicking Noises" from your steering wheel at low speeds, get it checked out at the dealership ASAP! The noise on mine went away after two weeks while I was waiting for the parts. Bottom line, if the noise goes away, don't forget about it, get it checked out. Looks like some early Bolts might have some weld issues (along with improper torque on the steering wheel shaft bolts). Check out my post on the other Bolt forum site: http://My ChevyBolt.com/. This is a major repair. I included pictures and details. I'll post an update there once it's fixed. -Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure it is loud enough to pick up on recorder, but will try. I don't associate the clicking noise with steering...I hear it when creeping forward in straight line. My car manufacture date is something like April 2017. Still, will mention it at dealers next time I go in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Bolt from May 2018. I have also noticed this just in the last week. Not sure if it’s normal wear and tear and you just hear it cause the car is quiet. It’s not rocks, or steering. Not suspension cause I can’t make it happen if I push on the car. My guess would be drive train when engine is at low speed.

Will mention it when I get snow tires on the car in October or November.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Does the clicking sound go away/change when the brakes are applied?

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I made a recording of the sound from within the Bolt. The sound is hard to hear. The noise is like a piece of loose metal bouncing on a muffled surface. Anything loud is not it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
some people have reported a noise from a floor mat that is displaced and is touching the steering column U-joint.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I made a recording of the sound from within the Bolt. The sound is hard to hear. The noise is like a piece of loose metal bouncing on a muffled surface. Anything loud is not it.
The sound I hear from our Bolt is different from this. The sound you recorded was definitely much lower-pitched than what I've been hearing. (Yours definitely sounds more like a "click," while ours is really more of a "tink" or "clink.") Tried to record the sound last week with the iPhone, but it couldn't pick it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Me too!

I started hearing clicking and popping sounds from my Bolt's left front about a week ago. The noise is always there, just much easier to hear coming to a stop or taking off from a stop. Turning or rocking the steering wheel may also exhibit the popping.

I took my 2017 Bolt, manufactured November 2017, to the dealer today and the technician diagnosed the problem as a bad stabilizer link. That was just before I spotted this thread - diagnosis confirmed. The technician ordered the part and should be able to install it in a few days. It appears USA GM has not yet issued a service bulletin on this specific stabilizer link issue. My guess is there will be a bulletin coming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've been having a similar problem on our Bolt. knocking sound whenever we turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. Leased in October, 2017. 30k mile. Taking it in this week. Local dealer was unaware of such a symptom.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
We've been having a similar problem on our Bolt. knocking sound whenever we turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. Leased in October, 2017.
That can happen if the u-joints in the steering wheel column run afoul of the carpeting or any floor mats that you might have installed - worth checking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a sound that I would characterize as a tick or click, but from the rear and relatively loud. You can see my post (and a video w/ good sound) about it here. Rear axle ended up being the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, did anybody ever figure out what the clicking noise is from? Its not rocks, mine has been making the same noise for a while, only at low speeds, when I accelerate or slow down. It sounds like a relay or switch being flipped on or off. I am about to take it in to get some recall work/software update, and want to know if I should have the mechanics look into it.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I am about to take it in to get some recall work/software update, and want to know if I should have the mechanics look into it.
I was in the same boat last year. Was wondering if I should mention my low speed creaking noise when I took it in for tire rotation and recall work. Mechanics diagnosed it to a rear bushing same day. Took the car home and waited two months for the new rear axle to come in. They did the axle swap in one day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts