Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new 2023 Bolt EV 2LT owner - understanding a little more every day thanks to this forum, but focusing on climate controls now and I'm baffled. I live in FL. Per the infotainment screen, the (outside?) temperature was 64° this evening. I have the desired temperature set to 72°. Why then if I turn on Auto, does the A/C come on and cold air is blowing from the vents? Wouldn't a desired temperature of 72° turn on the heat in Auto mode in order to raise the temperature from 64° to 72° - or am I completely misunderstanding? Also why does turning on Auto cause "recirculation" to turn off?

· Registered
2017 White Premier w/o DC fast
42 Posts
My 2017 has done the same thing since new. I think it might be associated with the humidity sensor? I guess if it senses humid air it will auto adjust for AC to run. I've always just cranked it up even more to get the heat to run..same for the recirc?

Or maybe its just poor programming from the getgo-------

· Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
14,440 Posts
Also why does turning on Auto cause "recirculation" to turn off?
This is all about keeping the windows clear. Florida is humid. To keep windows clear, with recirculate on, requires turning up the heat, but to maintain 72 F while doing so requires AC too. The Bolt has the most infuriating HVAC system imaginable. You literally have no control over when heat or AC will come on, which both do simultaneously almost always. Do a search in this forum. There are many threads on this.

· Registered
14,440 Posts
Or switch to the dark side and deactivate the auto fonction and take full control over the HVAC. Don't let the AI win 😆
Can't be done. The closest you can come is to turn of auto defog, turn off Auto Temp, use only bottom vents, and run HVAC to Hi/90F, or Lo/60 F , and control temperature with the fan level, and HVAC off button.

· Registered
379 Posts
It should probably be noted the 2017-2018 model years only have a single button to control heat/ac (not sure how it's labeled). I don't use AUTO on my 2019 because when pre-conditioning on a cold morning - or driving for that matter - the AC would kick on unnecessarily (IMO). Setting the temp to 72-ish, fan to AUTO, HEAT-only seems to work most of the time to prevent any of the weird AC events in winter. In AUTO, they happen more frequently even with the humidity sensor turned off. Perhaps not useful in Florida, but that's how I roll.

· Registered
501 Posts
Can't be done. The closest you can come is to turn of auto defog, turn off Auto Temp, use only bottom vents, and run HVAC to Hi/90F, or Lo/60 F , and control temperature with the fan level, and HVAC off button.
I guess you are right for 2023 models thanks for the info. In my 2019, I don't use auto and the AC doesn't come on unless I ask it for by pressing the button. If I need heat I press that button. I do this because it gets all wonky when I let auto do its thing

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier - Silver
579 Posts
Not true. In newer models, driver has full control over heat, a/c, defrost, recirculate, fan speed, vent selection, etc. Or you can select Auto, and HAL will take care of everything.

· Registered
14,440 Posts
Not true. In newer models, driver has full control over heat, a/c, defrost, recirculate, fan speed, vent selection, etc. Or you can select Auto, and HAL will take care of everything.
I believe that is not the case. The driver now has two separate buttons for Heat, and AC. As some members have shown using Torque Pro, the temp/humidity sensor still wins.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier - Silver
579 Posts
I believe that is not the case. The driver now has two separate buttons for Heat, and AC. As some members have shown using Torque Pro, the temp/humidity sensor still wins.
You should buy or drive one, then offer your observations. :rolleyes:

· Registered
14,440 Posts
You should buy or drive one, then offer your observations. :rolleyes:
That is what I depend on this forum for. People who own them, and use aftermarket equipment to see what is happening. I am sure you are happy with the performance of the HVAC in your EUV. But unless you have looked at what is going on using Torque Pro, or similar tools, you are only guessing.

· Registered
2023 Bolt EUV
122 Posts
That is what I depend on this forum for. People who own them, and use aftermarket equipment to see what is happening. I am sure you are happy with the performance of the HVAC in your EUV. But unless you have looked at what is going on using Torque Pro, or similar tools, you are only guessing.
I'm asking this out of ignorance, not questioning you: How good is the data people are collecting on 2022+ models via OBD? My impression has been that a lot of the PID's are guesses and people aren't entirely sure.

· Registered
14,440 Posts
I'm asking this out of ignorance, not questioning you: How good is the data people are collecting on 2022+ models via OBD? My impression has been that a lot of the PID's are guesses and people aren't entirely sure.
The PIDs that still work, are fine. You see a green pulsing dot on the gauge, when the PID is receiving a signal. Some stuff has surely changed, and you just get a nonsense readout, like a negative number.

i would be shocked if the Cabin heat, AC Compressor, and Evaporator PIDs didn't work on the 2022-2023 Bolts.

· Registered
14,440 Posts
Without my torque pro I can observe that my HVAC is acting normal when auto is not engaged like OP is experiencing
So you could tell the difference between 980 watts going to AC compressor, and 3500 watts going to Cabin Heat, rather than 2500 watts just to Cabin Heat? And no, the kW use on the DIC is not specific enough to tell. Just because you don't feel cool air, or hot air, when you think it shouldn't, doesn't mean it is not happening, just that the mix ids comfortable for you.

It would be helpful if you would check your Torque Pro, and tell us what it shows. If GM really fixed this for 2022-2023, it would be great news.

· Registered
501 Posts
So you could tell the difference between 980 watts going to AC compressor, and 3500 watts going to Cabin Heat, rather than 2500 watts just to Cabin Heat? And no, the kW use on the DIC is not specific enough to tell. Just because you don't feel cool air, or hot air, when you think it shouldn't, doesn't mean it is not happening, just that the mix ids comfortable for you.

It would be helpful if you would check your Torque Pro, and tell us what it shows. If GM really fixed this for 2022-2023, it would be great news.
I have the desired temperature set to 72°. Why then if I turn on Auto, does the A/C come on and cold air is blowing from the vents?
What happens to OP, I don't feel this. I don't really care about the KW consumption I just don't want to feel cold air blasting in my face when I demand heat. The way to avoid this is by deactivating Auto

· Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
773 Posts
That could be but it's easily overridden by adjusting the temp dial. It's no biggie to me on my 2019. I do like manual blend doors better, but GM seems to like this auto stuff. The problem with any auto scheme, afik, is that it cannot tell how I actually feel. I am pleased to have the option to just leave auto off.

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV
9,971 Posts
This is all about keeping the windows clear. Florida is humid....
My introduction to Florida was many, many years ago on the bus from the airport to a IT industry convention. The windows had fogged up, so in order to see the palm trees and other sights novel to me I used my sleeve to wipe the glass. To my astonishment it was totally ineffective because the moisture was on the outside. The whole bus was like a giant glass of chilled water coated with condensation!

Not sure how the Bolt's A/C system deals with that....

· Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
773 Posts
My introduction to Florida was many, many years ago on the bus from the airport to a IT industry convention. The windows had fogged up, so in order to see the palm trees and other sights novel to me I used my sleeve to wipe the glass. To my astonishment it was totally ineffective because the moisture was on the outside. The whole bus was like a giant glass of chilled water coated with condensation!

Not sure how the Bolt's A/C system deals with that....
Haha, Windshield wipers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts