Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused in the difference between having the Climate on/off (button 2 in the diagram) and Heat & AC Power on/off (button 4).

The reason I ask is that I have turned on the Climate control (2) but not the heater (4) and the air that comes out is warm (clearly being heated) and the temp knob is illuminated and the temp can be changed by turning the knob. Is turning on the climate control equivalent to additionally pressing the heat/ac button but the panel isn't showing that by illuminating the heat/ac button?

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in conserving energy by not heating the cabin and was thinking that perhaps having the climate control on but not the heating/ac button then it is using the heat that is coming from the engine coolant (see manual p. 316) Dex-Cool rather than using heating elements.

thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Button 2 must be ON for the fan to work, even to just blow in fresh air from outside. Button 4 must be on to get heated air or A/C, both of which drain the battery faster, but A/C less so. If just the fan is running and you turn the dial to adjust the temperature, the heat or A/C will come on and button 4 will be lit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"If just the fan is running and you turn the dial to adjust the temperature, the heat or A/C will come on and button 4 will be lit."

This isn't the way it works in my Bolt. I haven't done a full set of experiments, but since I had to do a store run, I turned on the climate control, set the temp to low , the fan was on and I had three observations. The first is that I don't think the AC came on (it didn't feel like it) and the heat/AC light did not turn on. And, the kwh didn't change like it does when you really turn on the heat or AC.

The photo below shows the state of the vehicle.

Were you speculating on the car's behavior or does it really behave differently in yours?
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I don't think the heating system has anything to do with the battery coolant. I think it's purely resistive heating. I think it's use the heater and it will cost you.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Agree.

I don’t like hitting the “auto” button on any vehicle for climate control. Now with the Bolt I’m even more sensitive since putting the climate control on “auto” left to its own devices, chews up battery energy. And there’s so many displays of battery energy that I’ve gotten paranoid about it. So be it.

AFAIK button #2 on the panel below the 10” screen, simply chooses the venue of airflow - - upper, lower or both. Button #4 on the 10” screen is the vital one: “Heat & AC”. I try to leave that one off when possible (use the steering wheel or seat heater instead as necessary). If button #4 is off, it doesn’t matter what the temperature knob #5 is set to as it simply blows outside air, whatever the outside air temperature that might be, into the cabin. Depending on manual control setting #4 fan speed. I don’t think that the Bolt’s electric motor up-front or any of the cooling systems provide any heat whatsoever than one can capture and direct into the cabin.

The Bolt’s range is so good that one can likely just go with “auto” climate control. If you’re a control or range freak (like me), go with the manual settings as mentioned above.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The heating/AC controls are very confusing and it is hard to get it to just flow air through the cabin. All those little tiny buttons and lights. It took me several miles down the road of poking things to get just air. Made me nostalgic for my old 65 mustang, which with a push of one lever, you could get the job done.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
If you have Auto mode on, the system automatically selects whether to heat or cool the air, what fan speed to use, recirc mode on/off, and what set of vents to use based on the temperature you have selected. I tend to leave my car in this mode and adjust the temp up/down as necessary to get the air flow where I need it and to keep me comfortable.

If you have "A/C & Heating" on the touch screen turned on, but don't have Auto mode turned on, the system will automatically turn the A/C or resistive heater off and on as necessary according to the temperature you have selected, but will not select fan speed, vent mode, or recirc mode.

Turning "A/C & Heating" off will just blow air out the vents like above, but with no attempt to heat or cool things. This is what was known as vent mode back in the day. There may be some blending of outside and inside air to achieve the temp you have selected, but not really condition it beyond what it can passively blend.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The heating/AC controls are very confusing and it is hard to get it to just flow air through the cabin. All those little tiny buttons and lights. It took me several miles down the road of poking things to get just air. Made me nostalgic for my old 65 mustang, which with a push of one lever, you could get the job done.
On this slightly off topic thread, I have to totally agree! I recognize there is a learning curve, but I find it difficult and dangerous as I have to take my eyes off the road to find and operate the climate control buttons. I wish they had put raised dots or some other way to tactically identify the buttons without having to take eyes off the road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turning "A/C & Heating" off will just blow air out the vents like above, but with no attempt to heat or cool things. This is what was known as vent mode back in the day. There may be some blending of outside and inside air to achieve the temp you have selected, but not really condition it beyond what it can passively blend.
How interesting about the blending; does Chevy ever answer questions about the Bolt from consumers?

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
How interesting about the blending; does Chevy ever answer questions about the Bolt from consumers?
Generally not. You can call their customer service reps, but they have little technical knowledge of how a car actually works. All they can do is read the owner's manual for you. Factory reps also rarely participate in any online forums because it usually ends badly for them and not productive. It's kind of why forums like these exist in part. Users helping users. As time goes on and more of us tear into our cars, the secrets will be unlocked and the mysteries solved.

I'm tempted to order the factory service manuals for the Bolt, but I'm scared as to how much they will cost! :eek:

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I'm tempted to order the factory service manuals for the Bolt, but I'm scared as to how much they will cost! :eek:
These days the manuals are electronic and require a subscription to acces them. Internet Only Manual, or IOM. Usually it's a bunch of PDFs for the specific section of the car you are working on.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
These days the manuals are electronic and require a subscription to acces them. Internet Only Manual, or IOM. Usually it's a bunch of PDFs for the specific section of the car you are working on.
Yeah, I've got some PDF manuals for my other vehicles and they work OK. I much prefer the old fashion book though. The PDFs can be a pain to get around in. I've also done the online "pay per view" style too. Just like the car, I like to own. I hope GM offers manuals for the Bolt in whatever form.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Still waiting to order my Bolt here in Illinois but I agree. My 2015 Volt uses a similar climate system. I often push the "fan only" button to turn off any heating or cooling. If the cabin temperature is hot, the fan will run at a very high speed to try to cool the cabin with only the fan and no compressor running. I sometimes then manually turn the fan speed down or off to save even more battery power.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It's easy to see exactly how this system works...

With the car in Park, note the predicted range on the GOM, turn on the fan by pressing button #2 without pressing the "Heat/AC" button on the infotainment screen.
You will see no change in the GOM range figure.

Now, turn the temp control knob at a setting greater than the outside temp. and then press the "Heat/AC" button on the infotainment screen.
You will instantly see the range on the GOM lower by -10 mi or so which indicates the resistive heating circuit is now powered.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I often push the "fan only" button to turn off any heating or cooling. If the cabin temperature is hot, the fan will run at a very high speed to try to cool the cabin with only the fan and no compressor running. I sometimes then manually turn the fan speed down or off to save even more battery power.
I can understand turning the fan down if it's too loud, but turning it down to save power is probably not worth it since it uses so little power in the first place.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So no way to acuuall have "vent" without using the fan.
I just want to "open the vent"

So far can't figure out how to do that.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
So no way to acuuall have "vent" without using the fan.
I just want to "open the vent"

So far can't figure out how to do that.
You can't. Outside air induction has become so convoluted and the addition of filters has made the modern car require the air to be forced into the cabin.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Climate On/Off vs. Heat & AC air On/Off

I'm confused in the difference between having the Climate on/off (button 2 in the diagram) and Heat & AC Power on/off (button 4).

The reason I ask is that I have turned on the Climate control (2) but not the heater (4) and the air that comes out is warm (clearly being heated) and the temp knob is illuminated and the temp can be changed by turning the knob. Is turning on the climate control equivalent to additionally pressing the heat/ac button but the panel isn't showing that by illuminating the heat/ac button?

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in conserving energy by not heating the cabin and was thinking that perhaps having the climate control on but not the heating/ac button then it is using the heat that is coming from the engine coolant (see manual p. 316) Dex-Cool rather than using heating elements.

thanks.
In the manual it says that it monitors the humidity in the car. I experienced the same thing yesterday when I had the fan on only with air directed to defrost and the foot setting.The heating / AC button was off. It was about 58F and the humidity was very high as there had just been a heavy downpour. Shortly after I started driving I felt warm air from the defroster vent. I believe for safety that Chevy overrides the control for heating/AC when the computer senses the conditions are there for the fogging up of the windshield. Actually it is a good thing and I am enjoying the comforts of the Bolt. I know these features are not exclusive to the Bolt but they are a first for my wife and myself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe for safety that Chevy overrides the control for heating/AC when the computer senses the conditions are there for the fogging up of the windshield. Actually it is a good thing and I am enjoying the comforts of the Bolt. I know these features are not exclusive to the Bolt but they are a first for my wife and myself.
Our 2016 Equinox does this. If interior humidity rises to a dangerous level, you can feel the AC kick in with cooler/dryer air, despite the AC button being set to off. I do believe it's for safety reasons. Ironically our 2014 Volt doesn't seem to force the AC compressor on, you can fog up your windows to your heart's content.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can understand turning the fan down if it's too loud, but turning it down to save power is probably not worth it since it uses so little power in the first place.

As was noted in another post, sometimes the vehicle turns on the heating or cooling depending on humidity level or other factors even though the "fan only' setting was chosen. The only way to avoid this is to turn the fan completely off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts