Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did a very similar install, but my charger is just inside the garage on the driver side of the car when I pull up to the garage. Fortunately I have a wooden entry door into the garage as well as the main garage door; we never use the entry door so I just made a u-shaped notch near the top of the door and brought the charge cord out there, then mounted the holster on the exterior wall. The 25' cord on my jukebox is plenty long to go up to the to of the door then back down again, then I have tons of cord to make up for sloppy parking.

If I'm not mistaken I believe the charge cord is designed to withstand being accidentally run over by the car (which would normally damage the insulation in a regular cord), so the garage door hitting it shouldn't cause any problems at all, but it might leave your door open enough that critters could enter the garage...

Speaking of car running over the cord, my sales person had some great advice when using the included evse. He said if I was charging somewhere public and was worried about theft of the evse, just lay it out and park a front tire on the cord, that way someone can't just disconnect and take off with it while you're away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed a Clipper Creek HCS-60 when we bought our Volt back in 2014. Loved it. Just ordered a second one for our garage since we ordered our Bolt today. It's overkill for the Volt / Bolt but I'd rather go big and be covered for the future if possible. No issues recommending Clipper Creek... zero experience with the others so I can't say either way.

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts
For those of you that have a "dumb" EVSE like me (I have a Clipper Creek LCS-25 hardwire version, flawless for 3 years btw), there is an option to semi-convert it into a "smart" EVSE.

Emotorwerks offers (or will soon offer) the JuicePlug, which has wifi connectivity and captures all charging session stats (kWh used, charge rate, volts, amps, etc...). I actually participated in the Kickstarter campaign for it and got a pre-production version I've been using since January. Still has a few kinks they need to work out, but overall it works pretty well. I finally can get all the charging data I want. :)

It does make the plug extend out a few inches more, so if you charge your Bolt in a high foot traffic area, there is the increased risk of someone bumping into it.

IMG_20161224_170109329.jpg
IMG_20161224_183906882.jpg
jp.jpg

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nice idea... but it looks like it puts tremendous strain on the vehicle charge port connector.
Too much leverage.....

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts
I don't think I'll be tracking my electric usage any more than my gasoline usage. I say just fill 'er up and live your life.
I'm a bit of a stats geek. :p

It's also good because you can tell it exactly what SOC% to stop charging. So not just limited to 40/90/100%. If I only want to charge to 57%, I can do that (roughly).

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't think I'll be tracking my electric usage any more than my gasoline usage. I say just fill 'er up and live your life.
Best way to see it since right away we know there's an advantage over traditional means. At this point im more concerned about planning my routes and where to charge along the way, since that impacts us on a day-to-day basis.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'm a bit of a stats geek. :p

It's also good because you can tell it exactly what SOC% to stop charging. So not just limited to 40/90/100%. If I only want to charge to 57%, I can do that (roughly).
That is actually something I would find useful on vehicles that don't have a setting for that. It *seems* that one significantly lessens battery degradation by not filling to 100% all the time. I know someone who recently bought a used (lease return) LEAF where the owner always had 80% max charging set - the car still has all 12 bars on the battery capacity gauge, and max range on the guess-o-meter is about 100 miles (when he fills it all the way up for 'cell balancing' purposes).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Clipper Creek HCS40-P vs Juicebox 40 (PRO)

These seem to be so close in performance and price. However, Juicebox, I believe can we transported (taken to a friends house or use a campground RV charger) and has the Wifi connection for setting the charge

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
74 Posts

These seem to be so close in performance and price. However, Juicebox, I believe can we transported (taken to a friends house or use a campground RV charger) and has the Wifi connection for setting the charge

Am I missing something?
Dear Juniper49, you are correct the JuiceBox 40 Pro can be unmounted and taken with you. Just installed one; there is a single screw at the bottom of the mounting bracket to loosen when you take it of the wall (I suppose there really is no reason to screwing it in since the bracket is secure, but since in my circumstance it will live there 99%+ of the time, it is screwed in).

Also, I get 15% off my electricity if I charge between 10 pm and 9 am, so the wifi capacity is worth it - the utility tracks it and then rebates me some $$ at the end of the year. For what it's worth, I like the eMotorWerks charging app and it amuses me to look at the Bolt charge at night. Keeps me off the streets I guess... no telling what will keep some people amused...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
They both seem equally as good unless you nitpick and there hasn't been any complaints that I know of for the Juicebox. Just gotta make sure the store near you has good customer service in case you need to pay them a visit in the future.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't have a Chevy Bolt EV or any EV at all. But I do have a JuiceBox Level 2 EVSE that I built from a kit in 2014 (see my signature). I have uprated the wires inside for a full 80 amps and its factory rated 16 kW when I may need it. I set it for 30 Amps and 7.2 kW after the assembly and it is working since then (almost three years). Little did I know that GM would guess my setup, and design the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV to use exactly that amout of power.

As for this "con": Lesser known company with less service history. They have almost no need for servicing, so there is little history. No bad history is good history!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If both brands are considered equal in quality and features... the deciding factor may be which one is UL approved... (only one of them is BTW).

·
Registered
56 Posts
NY-Rob:
I bought the Juicebox Pro as these two factors outweighed the CC: 1) wifi capable and I like gadgets, 2) easily portable and can take it with me and both were the same price. I think it's like the truck guys saying which is better Ford or Chevy!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
For some reason JuiceBox is not UL approved even though their products are UL compliant and built with UL components and cables. Maybe they haven't gotten around to it yet or it's still being tested.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Am I missing something?
There is one fly in this ointment. You might need to reset the charge level before leaving home. The JB only holds authentication information for one network at a time. You either need network access to change the amperage, or be willing to open the box, and adjust a pot. To change the network (SSID) you have to go through the initial config process again with your phone or laptop. You may not have a network you can use at a campsite, but you could conceivably hotspot your phone for this. FWIW, Emotorwerks claims they have an RFE in now to support multiple networks, so if you had (for example) a vacation home, you could config it in and easily switch between different networks.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
For some reason JuiceBox is not UL approved even though their products are UL compliant and built with UL components and cables. Maybe they haven't gotten around to it yet or it's still being tested.
Back in 2014 when purchasing my second JuiceBox I sent eMotorWerks and email regarding their lack of UL rating.
Their reply was "we're working on it"... that was three years ago. Seems they're working at government speed :eek:

As a long time (since 2012) Juicebox owner... I love their product- they've never let me down yet.
The only thing that concerns me about their products is the lack of a UL listing. As a plumber friend said to me recently "don't you know... lawyers rule the world!"
Who would like to volunteer to call their homeowner policy insurer and ask them if they'd prefer a UL listed 240v EVSE at the property they insure or a non-UL listed 240v EVSE? Not that I think any other brand of EVSE is better than the JuiceBox, but... if something bad happens concerning the EVSE and the blood-sucking insurance investigators end up pointing the finger at a non-UL listed device- I would imagine it would leave them an easy out for not paying up.
Remember "lawyers rule the world!"...

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
37 Participants
ZoomZoom
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing