Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Who would like to volunteer to call their homeowner policy insurer and ask them if they'd prefer a UL listed 240v EVSE at the property they insure or a non-UL listed 240v EVSE?
FWIW, I did call my insurance company before I bought my JuiceBox 40 Pro as this question was raised on the leaf forum as well. I explained the situation and was told that they don't care about UL v/s. non UL. He chuckled and asked me if I knew how many things I had plugged into the outlets in my house and in this day and age of "Chinese invasion" into our homes, who knows what we are plugging in? Short answer was that in the event of a mishap due to a device malfunctioning, the insurance would still cover any and all damages.

JuiceBox is a solid product made in the USA by a small group of hard working folks. UL listing is expensive and maybe not worth it for them at this point.

Also, I would like to add that I have had one interaction with their service team and they were above and beyond. One of the employees actually gave me his personal cell to call him after hours while we were doing some troubleshooting of a rare situation (charging two different cars using the same EVSE).

If I ever needed a second EVSE, it would be a JuiceBox again!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I went with the HCS-40P but honestly I was going to buy a Clipper Creek because I had that planned for quite sometime; they are within an hour drive of where I live so we just went up there to buy it direct. It should be noted that they do make quite a bit of OEM charge cords for many different car manufacturers. Customer service as you noted is outstanding. I had second thoughts about whether or not it was a drawback to not easily detach it from my wall as I had ideas of taking the EVSE camping; but with the range of our Bolt it's not an issue so I don't see this happening; I've found enough public infrastructure thus far to make this a non issue. Finally, I like the simplicity of the HCS-40P. I only learned about the Juice Box after getting or about the same time as getting the Bolt and I had the HCS-40P installed just before we got the Bolt in Dec. 2016. PM me if you want a picture of the installation in my garage. I do like the short plug-in cord it's very clean (I thought this would be an issue but it wasn't based on where I mounted the unit directly above the circuit box).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Clipper Creek here

Went with the HCS-50 which puts out 40 amps (yes our Bolts only take 32), but I'm thinking down the road a bit. Besides they just lowered the price on it, so why not!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased a Juicebox 40 since the Bolt manages itself as far as scheduling.
If you want a second app to monitor your EV, then I would recommend getting the Wifi model which I think adds a hundo to the price.
One thing you might want to consider is if you want to buy a charger for future EVs.
Also, if you want to take your charger with you if you ever move then that is also a consideration to which model you purchase.
This is why I had a plug added to my garage and my JB charger just has a plug.
I also have contacted JB for non-service issues and they were very responsive and am happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
112 Posts
does anyone know the differences between juicebox pro vs juicebox pro lite?

i saw this link: https://emotorwerks.com/products/charging-stations/juicebox#table

but this seems misleading, since the lite version does state it has wi-fi capabilities.
There are zero physical differences between the two.

You can do a software upgrade to the Lite and it becomes the Pro. Just more expensive that getting it configured as a Pro from the start (by a few bucks)

·
Registered
56 Posts
will the bolt pull 32A from the JuiceBox without having to change it through the app

i am considering getting the non Pro version and saving $100

·
Registered
782 Posts
the Bolt will pull what ever the EVSE is configured to provide up to the Bolt's 32 amp limit - so if you install the JuiceBox on a 40 amp circuit with appropriate breaker and wire (32 amp charge rate) and configure the Jukebox correctly - the JuiceBox will advertise 32 amps to the Bolt- and the Bolt will draw 32 amps during charging sessions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Chevy Bolt and an Audi e-tron SUV, and I'm asking the same question. I like the Clipper Creek 50 and 60R , and the JuiceBox Pro 40 and 75. The only real decision points I have is a) the JuiceBox supports WiFi, which means that power companies may be able to deliver power that is either cheaper or greener. The CC boxes don't seem to have that capability. My power company (Eversource)is pairing with ChargePoint, and presumably any WiFi-enabled EVSE. Chargepoint would probably be OK with just the Bolt, The other point b) is that the CC box is NEMA-4, and this box goes outside.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I recently purchased a JuiceBox Pro 40 Wifi because my utility (PSEG Long Island) was offering a $500 rebate on the $549 product. Just got the $500 rebate check last week.

Unlike their original u-build kits, the UL Approved Juicebox Pro 40 is factory assembled. It seems to be really well put together in a very strong/secure enclosure. I expect to get many years of reliable service out of it since EMW has been making EVSE's for quite a few years now and have learned how to make them last.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ChargePoint Fan Here

I went with ChargePoint based on:
  • UL Listing
  • Part of a large nationwide charging network so all of my ChargePoint (public and home) data is in one place
  • 3 year warranty
  • WiFi connectivity with scheduling (including Time of Use rate knowledge)
  • Compact size and portability if I move.
Here's a nice comparison of size

·
Registered
505 Posts
ChargePoint Fan Here

I went with ChargePoint based on:
  • UL Listing
  • Part of a large nationwide charging network so all of my ChargePoint (public and home) data is in one place
  • 3 year warranty
  • WiFi connectivity with scheduling (including Time of Use rate knowledge)
  • Compact size and portability if I move.
Here's a nice comparison of size
I bounced away from the ChargePoint for a couple reasons:
1) The rep's #1 answer to my question of why I should buy his charger over the Juice is he said CP is Energy Star Certified and the Juice isn't.
2) I couldn't get a firm answer if the CP does managed charging with multiple EVSE's. I couldn't, and still can't find anything for the residential chargers. The commercial ones do. The Juice EVSE's do manage multiple chargers so I can prioritize charging if I have 'two' at a later time that exceeds my circuit (not likely but you never know).

As a new ChargePoint customer, of a new unit, do they now support automatic load balancing?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
37 Participants
ZoomZoom
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing