Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh. Another software glitch. And I did not see anyone else reporting it.

The cycle goes like this:

1. Clock is wrong
2. I manually set it to correct time and date
3. Next time I get in the car the time is wrong again (by hours sometimes)

And this is _not_ a time zone issue because the minutes don't match the correct time either.

I took it to the dealer and they told me there is nothing they can do because "the time is controlled by the OnStar satellite". I asked, then, why it had a screen for setting the time. The reply was that it doesn't do anything useful because the time is controlled by OnStar.

Can it be? And why did OnStar send my car, and only my car, the wrong time? It sends time to all GM vehicles, right?

I kind of think it may have sent a time correction factor like (run 1.2x faster than the electronic clock onboard the vehicle) such that it is either running way faster than it should or way slower.
I'll try to track that.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Argh. Another software glitch. And I did not see anyone else reporting it.

The cycle goes like this:

1. Clock is wrong
2. I manually set it to correct time and date
3. Next time I get in the car the time is wrong again (by hours sometimes)
Had the same problem. Apparently GM can't make an electronic clock that works as well as an old windup spring clock. I ended up setting it to Auto-cell tower connection. It then set to the correct time, as soon as I turned the car on.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I took it to the dealer and they told me there is nothing they can do because "the time is controlled by the OnStar satellite".
There's no such thing as an "OnStar satellite". I believe the time is set from the cellular network that OnStar connects through. There may be an issue with the network provider's time service.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There's no such thing as an "OnStar satellite". I believe the time is set from the cellular network that OnStar connects through. There may be an issue with the network provider's time service.
Agreed. I had OnStar confused with some satellite network with a name that ends in "Star". I think I tested the "issue with [cellular] network provider service" by switching off the "auto set from cellular" feature. Then the clock reset at least twice while auto-set was turned off. And the resets include date resets. In both cases the date was set to more than 6 months ago.

This makes it clear that when the clock runs in "manual set" mode it's just plain broken. As GJETSON said, GM didn't make anything like an electronic clock. I'd call it a random number generator.

Oops! I see you are apparently already using the auto-cell tower connection.
I'm not actually sure if I was. While the sun was so bright I could not read the display, I set it to _not_ auto set. So I don't know the previous setting. (But the dealer assumed it was
configured for auto-set.)

It's now been in auto-set mode for a couple days and I haven't seen it reset yet. And, BTW, it only resets while the vehicle is parked, between turning it off and back on again.

FWIW they gave me a technical bulletin which says it "receives [a time signal] from the local cellular providers" and the OnStar module (cellular radio receiver) "sends the clock information [to the infotainment module] every six minutes." Presumably you don't have to be an OnStar subscriber to get the time signal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the same problem. Apparently GM can't make an electronic clock that works as well as an old windup spring clock. I ended up setting it to Auto-cell tower connection. It then set to the correct time, as soon as I turned the car on.
Duh. I just pieced it together. When I picked up the car from the dealer (late last year) the clock was in auto-set mode. It stayed in auto-set mode and kept good time until the spring switch to daylight savings. In order to change the hour on the clock that day we were forced to put the clock into manual-set mode. Since then it's been under the control of this random number generator that should be an electronic clock.

I searched again and found no other mentions of this problem on the Internet. I would think, at a minimum, people who live in places without cell service would be reporting this problem.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Presumably you don't have to be an OnStar subscriber to get the time signal.
We have been on the basic, no pay, plan for five months. I just went out to verify that our time and date match my phone. The clock is set to auto-cell network time.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
...It stayed in auto-set mode and kept good time until the spring switch to daylight savings. In order to change the hour on the clock that day we were forced to put the clock into manual-set mode...
The Bolt is my first car that I didn't need to set the clock for daylight savings. It accomplished it on its own. All my other cars I've owned through the years, I've had to manually change the clock for daylight savings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Bolt is my first car that I didn't need to set the clock for daylight savings. It accomplished it on its own. All my other cars I've owned through the years, I've had to manually change the clock for daylight savings.
I doubt we really needed to change the time on that clock for DST. Probably if we waited long enough it would have picked up the new time from the local cellular network (and I never would have discovered the random number generator behind manual-set mode).

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,521 Posts
I doubt we really needed to change the time on that clock for DST. Probably if we waited long enough it would have picked up the new time from the local cellular network (and I never would have discovered the random number generator behind manual-set mode).
I should note that using the local time as a "seed" for a random number generation algorithm is quite common. I used this method thirty years ago.

Generating *truly random* numbers is a surprisingly tricky thing to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duh. I just pieced it together. When I picked up the car from the dealer (late last year) the clock was in auto-set mode. It stayed in auto-set mode and kept good time until the spring switch to daylight savings. In order to change the hour on the clock that day we were forced to put the clock into manual-set mode. Since then it's been under the control of this random number generator that should be an electronic clock.

I searched again and found no other mentions of this problem on the Internet. I would think, at a minimum, people who live in places without cell service would be reporting this problem.
Nope. That's not it. My car just has a broken clock. After a couple days I found the "random number generator" runs when I start the car: it assigns a random time each time I start the car even though it is in auto-set mode. The clock keeps time relative to that random start time during the trip, never setting to the correct time.

So do I ask the dealer to replace the "Infotainment" computer? I guess that is what controls the clock.

This behavior is similar to certain PCs that have an on-board "button battery" which keeps time while the computer is turned off. When the button battery finally dies (at 4-7 years) the PC will boot up with a random time. (More modern PCs may keep the clock module powered as long as the power cord is connected to power so you'd only see this effect if you had a power strip and switched it off or had a power failure.) Could the Bolt have yet another on-board battery and my clock battery is defective??

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd say don't worry about the cause OR the remedy... let the dealer figure out how to fix this.
It's under warranty and they have the entire GM Chevy Bolt engineering team as a resource.

The squeaky wheel get its clock set?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealer told me the radio must be replaced. The new radio has been ordered. After 23 days it still has not arrived. There is no electronic tracking for the status of the parts order. Apparently they have to call the OEM manufacturer to check on the status. I'm missing my Toyota even though it used petrol.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That sucks, nmgeek. I'm starting to read the eventual repair that requires parts. Reading about your experience and others (e.g., windshields) has me nervous now.

Hang in there, nmgeek!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
My friend, the President of the West Virginia Electric Auto Association, got his Model 3 ~ April 1. On April 6, he was struck by two deer. Repair estimate > $12,500. Trucked to Columbus for repair. Still waiting for parts. Plus, State Farm initially balked at full coverage, but under social media pressure, has agreed to pay. For ALL electric vehicles, with "small" production runs, spare parts will be a problem, both in availability (& timeliness), and cost.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
For ALL electric vehicles, with "small" production runs, spare parts will be a problem, both in availability (& timeliness), and cost.
Dang it, that makes total sense. No wonder my insurance went up so high. I quoted them an equally priced Accord hybrid and the 2017 Volt and the Volt's insurance was over 25% more!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do believe they finally fixed the clock. It took 5 service visits and they initially replaced the MyLink Infotainment (aka radio assembly) module to no avail.

Another symptom was that the Over the Air software update didn't work. It would not even display the current software version before showing the error.

According to the service manager, GM released "new programming for OnStar two weeks ago" and after the tech applied this new "programming" the problem was fixed. I don't see any messages indicating there is any new software release in the last few months so maybe this is like the "programming" that a cell phone occasionally downloads from the cellular network. I assume that info downloaded to the cell phone contains a database of nearby towers and codes used by the carriers to tie each tower to frequencies and protocols (TDMA, CDMA, LTE, 1x, etc.). He might have meant that instructions for the programming were in a service bulletin released, recently.

Also, having lived with that broken clock for three months I eventually realized there was nothing random about the times it displayed. The symptom was actually that it intermittently reset to 12:00, July 27, 2017. (This happened some time when the car was not in use so I'd always see some time that was minutes or days after the time it reset to.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do believe they finally fixed the clock. It took 5 service visits and they initially replaced the MyLink Infotainment (aka radio assembly) module to no avail.

Another symptom was that the Over the Air software update didn't work. It would not even display the current software version before showing the error.

According to the service manager, GM recently released "new programming for OnStar" and after the tech applied this new programming the problem was fixed. I don't see any messages indicating there is any new software release in the last few months so the OnStar programming must be separate from the MyLink software which downloads over the air.
I think I may have pieced it together. I wonder if after replacing the "radio assembly" you have to reprogram OnStar. I found the recent TSB about unprogrammed OnStar modules and it fits my symptoms and the description of the resolution:

TSB 17-NA-215: Red LED, No WiFi Operation, and/or Limited OnStar Module Functionality After OnStar Module Replacement for Another Condition - (Feb 28, 2018)

1. Since I do not subscribe to OnStar, a Red OnStar LED would have seemed correct
2. I would use WiFi only to download a software update and software updating was 100% broken after the radio replacement. Prior to the radio replacement I could check the software version and run the update procedure when connected to my home WiFi.
3. Regarding "Limited OnStar Module Functionality" I think that translates to "Clock does not maintain correct time"

I don't know for sure whether my OnStar Module was replaced. GM has no part tracking system for the Bolt "radio assembly" so no part number appears on the service receipt. This was a source of frustration because the part took more than 3 weeks to arrive and the dealership had no serial number or tracking info so had no way of predicting when or if the part would arrive.

·
Registered
303 Posts
2017, infotainment 14.5.0 [no a b c], onstar basic, in an area with solid ATT cell service. Clock has been a bit weird since day 0, to the point that I can't trust it if knowing the correct time is important [like catching a train to work]. Today in the train parking lot the clock was ok, then changed backwards 3 minutes, and then after driving around the corner went forwards to the correct time a minute later. Auto-set is enabled. From what I read here, turning auto-set [cell time] off is worse.

I'm going to have to put a cheap digital clock on the dash. Sheesh. Is it worth a complaint to the service dept of my local dealer?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts