Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Cherenkov actually is produced from fission, not fusion :nerd:

I'm still thinking it's a result of Russian hacking
Cherenkov radiation is actually produced when a neutrino, or particle like an electron, goes faster than the speed of light in the medium it is travelling in. That is why they use huge water tanks under mountains to detect them since the speed of light in water is much less than in vacuum. Cherenkov radiation was used to detect neutrinos from the Sun, which helped prove that nuclear fusion was happening at the core of the Sun. Since neutrinos were figure to be produced by the proton-proton chain, this light helped prove the nuclear fusion process.

Edit: Actually Cherenkov radiation can also be used for fission reactions as well. The Solar-neutrino problem is what I studied because of my astronomy research ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Cherenkov radiation is actually produced when a neutrino, or particle like an electron ...

Edit: Actually Cherenkov radiation can also be used for fission reactions as well. The Solar-neutrino problem is what I studied because of my astronomy research ;)
Well 99.9999% of observed Cherenkov on Earth is from nuclear reactors (those dry cleaning fluid tanks record what, a small handful a year?*), so I'd say the reasoning that Cherenkov is is the result of fusion is the least likely scenario, so my point still stands.

Annnnnndd, this thread officially derailed, but not like it was on the rail to begin with.

* yes I'm aware the modern versions probably use something other than cleaning fluid :nerd:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
God damnit, Bolt Action! I thought this was a serious problem like some other poor Bolt owner on this or another forum with leaking fluid in their battery compartment. Unsure if it was an actual leak or not or where it was from, but when they lowered some large panel that covered the battery, there was brightly colored fluid on the side of the panel that faced the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.