Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. These are probably really basic questions about charging, so forgive me. (I write about health and nutrition. I know nothing about electricity.)

Background info: I have had a 2017 Bolt for about 3 months, it has a little over 600 (that is not a typo, I work from home) miles on it. I don't charge it often .

I have the 240 volt, 32 amp Clipper Creek charging station, hardwired. I don't have a garage. And I live in NY, where it's been cold as .... this month.

So:
1. The energy setting for amps is either 8 or 12. Do I need to set it to the higher number? It gets all "MAYDAY ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS" on me and no, I'm not sure, so I've kept it on 8. Should I change it?

2. I don't usually plug the car in unless it needs to charge. I know I should when it’s cold but is it better to have it set for Immediate and then leave it plugged in on a full charge (maybe for a day or two) or to set it for Next Departure, even if I don’t know for sure when that will be? (When I set it to charge immediately I always feel like I need to unplug it right away when it’s finished.)

3. Preconditioning if the car is plugged in... how does that work? I mean, yes I use the key fob or app, but is it safe to remove the charger while it's preconditioning or do I need to stop preconditioning first or change a setting before I remove the charger?

If any of this is in the Owner's Manual, damned if I can find it.

Thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
1) If you use 240v L2 charging (which you do) the 8/12 amp settings are not used.

2) It's safe and suggested to keep the Bolt plugged in all the time in cold environments.

3) Pre-conditioning... It's safe to pull the plug when pre-conditioning, the battery will take over when you pull the plug. I do it all the time, 100% safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you--so does that also mean it doesn't matter whether I do immediate or delayed charging? (In other words, it's okay to leave it plugged in with a full charge?)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
There's really no set answer to the above question, per GM it's safe to keep the Bolt 100% charged and plugged in 24/7/365.

Some of us (myself included) believe it's easier on the battery if you only charge it to 90% capacity via the "Hilltop Reserve" setting. Of course if you need the max range from every recharge- by all means charge to 100%, but if your commute is 10mi into town and back... "Hilltop Reserve" might extend the life of your battery without sacrificing anything.

During the summer when I was seeing 300+mi range on a full charge I used "Hilltop Reserve", Just before the Bomb Cyclone hit the northeast I switched back to full charge mode just in case I needed extra range. As soon as the winter **** is over, I'll go back to Hilltop Reserve mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah--in October and most of November I was getting 240+ range per charge. Now I get about 130-150 miles. I just switched it to Hilltop and will leave it plugged in while it preheats. I'll be curious to see if it bumps up at all.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts