Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm looking at buying a Bolt but I'm a bit worried about what kind of range I'll get during the winter. It can get pretty cold here (-30), and I'm sure that's going to affect things! Has anyone had experience with cold weather yet? What about leaving the car out at night and not plugged in?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi CBWN12,

The lowest temp I've driven our Bolt in is approximately 30 degrees F, and it did fine. That being said, your temps of -30 (I assume this in F, not C) appear very extreme for any battery. I've attached a screenshot of a screen from the MyChevrolet app that works with the Bolt. The Bolt will actually send you a text message if it thinks it will be immobilized due to incoming cold weather. That's a sign that it probably won't work in your -30F temps. Hopefully someone else has more precise cold weather feedback for you.

Attachments

·
Banned
350 Posts
Assuming that you use the heater like any sensible human being in a car, you will lose as much as 1/3 of the total range.
I'm seeing 165 on the GoM in 50-degree weather with the heater set at 73F.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1/3 of the range I can live with...having a car completely immobilized is another story. Thanks for your input, I'll look into this a bit more. And yup, unfortunately it is -30 in Celsius temps (sorry, from Canada and not used to Fahrenheit. Works out to around -22F) ...needless to say, winter isn't my favourite season!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
From Canada as well and I can agree with you 100%... winter is not my favourite season either lol.

But -30F = -34C ish so I'm pretty sure you'll be alright. I was kind of concerned about the same thing as I'll be leaving mine outside in the night too

·
Registered
862 Posts
Do not allow the vehicle to remain in
temperature extremes for long
periods without being driven or
plugged in. It is recommended that
the vehicle be plugged in when
temperatures are below 0 °C (32 °F)

and above 32 °C (90 °F) to
maximize high voltage battery life.
From pg 231 of the owners manual

·
Registered
69 Posts
Based on 2+ years of Volt ownership, I've seen dramatic changes based on temperature here in Ohio.

The sticker EPA rating was 38 miles.

On a perfect day (70* and no climate control needed) where I do a lot of gentle and lower speed driving, I hit around 48 miles.
On a perfect day (70* and no climate control needed) where I drive fast (70+ mph for entire drive), I hit around 43 miles.

On a cold day (15* using Auto/Comfort heat) where I do a lot of gentle and lower speed driving, I hit about 32 miles.
On a cold day (15* using Auto/Comfort heat) where I drive fast (70+ mph for entire drive), I hit about 25 miles.

(Very hot days with AC usage cause about 1/2 of the mileage penalty that very cold days with heat usage cause. So where a cold day can hurt 15-18 miles, hot days with AC hurts mileage perhaps 7-8 miles.)

I've tried commuting at 15* with no climate control, and it did increase range by a few miles, but it seems that much of the extra energy is going into the battery management system.

In a nutshell: speed and driving style matter, but cold temperatures matter more. For a Volt anyway.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Based on 2+ years of Volt ownership, I've seen dramatic changes based on temperature here in Ohio.

The sticker EPA rating was 38 miles.

On a perfect day (70* and no climate control needed) where I do a lot of gentle and lower speed driving, I hit around 48 miles.
On a perfect day (70* and no climate control needed) where I drive fast (70+ mph for entire drive), I hit around 43 miles.

On a cold day (15* using Auto/Comfort heat) where I do a lot of gentle and lower speed driving, I hit about 32 miles.
On a cold day (15* using Auto/Comfort heat) where I drive fast (70+ mph for entire drive), I hit about 25 miles.

(Very hot days with AC usage cause about 1/2 of the mileage penalty that very cold days with heat usage cause. So where a cold day can hurt 15-18 miles, hot days with AC hurts mileage perhaps 7-8 miles.)

I've tried commuting at 15* with no climate control, and it did increase range by a few miles, but it seems that much of the extra energy is going into the battery management system.

In a nutshell: speed and driving style matter, but cold temperatures matter more. For a Volt anyway.
I agree that this is also my experience in my volt (though it's a 2011 with 35 miles EPA). 4 years experience.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From pg 231 of the owners manual
I found on another forum 'mychevybolt' that Chevy Customer Care has confirmed that there wouldn't be any issues with leaving the vehicle unplugged in very cold temperatures, unless repeated doing so below -40F/C. That said, I still plan to plug in as per the owners manual.

I should note that this context is just overnight though, not for a week at a time or anything like that - I'm not sure what constitutes an "extended period of time".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speaking as a fellow Canadian, relocating to a more southerly clime brings other issues, the negative consequences of which would outweigh the weather factor. Especially for me, living as I do in Vancouver were "winter" means "rain".

Agreed. Although it can get cold, there's still fun stuff that comes with the snow!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
And it's still snowing...In April. The weather needs to make up its mind, but at least this will give Bolt owners more time to get an accurate winter drive range.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Then clearly you're both living in the wrong place. Are they holding you prisoner?
Most definitely!

But no seriously, trying to figure a way to go into a warmer climate area just isn't feasible and there are too many factors to consider when all your trying to do is "escape the cold"

I can deal with it, so it's not that big of a deal. Just something I will continue to complain about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Deep cold, big hit on range

Hi everyone, I'm looking at buying a Bolt but I'm a bit worried about what kind of range I'll get during the winter. It can get pretty cold here (-30), and I'm sure that's going to affect things! Has anyone had experience with cold weather yet? What about leaving the car out at night and not plugged in?

Thanks in advance!
It's has been at or below zeroF here in Vermont for over a week, with another week or more expected. I leave my Bolt plugged in every night. When it was warm out (75-80 degrees) my range meter on the dash read 275 miles or more (factoring in regenerative power I imagine). But in this weather, my expected range is around 105-115 miles. I park in a carport (no door), so I don't know how the range might be affected if I were in an enclosed garage. When temps were in the low 30's, my range was right around 200 miles. I have been reluctant to go overnight without plugging in so I cannot say how much of a hit I'd take overnight without it. But I can tell you that my electric usage has doubled (I've added a usage meter to the outlet in my carport so I can reimburse my condo association for the cost).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Also posted at one of the other winter range discussions... I'm in Butte Montana at the Continental Divide, one of the coldest spots in the nation, though the East has us beat this week or so...

I suppose this isn't new to some....

I decided to try something a little different after I did a delayed charge to be ready at 9 AM. Actually charged up a bit before that, probably a bit after 8 AM...the lights flashed which I figured must mean it was charged as there was no other reason for it. Showed 154 miles as fully charged. So, I decided let's see how well it does just recycling cabin air without heat...I had the defrost indicator on but no heat, just re-circulation. Big difference! I'm sitting at about 3.7 mi/kWh compared with 2.1-2.5 when the heat was on, set to 67, blower on 2. So after 35+ miles driving today my indicated range is 150. The day was partly cloudy temps from 18 or so up to high 20s. Re-circulation seemed to do fine keeping windshield/side windows clear and I had the steering wheel heat on along with the seat.

This was posted a couple days ago and it looks like my range will be about 185-190, which is a pretty dramatic improvement from what I'd been seeing earlier. I'm not sure you could get by without heat/defrost if it was in the single digits and below but I suppose you could cycle it on and off a bit...

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Temp in Georgia this week is below 30 deg all week . I leave the Bolt plugged in all the time in garage and my range starting out has decreased to 220 miles ( NO heater on ) where in the summer it was 250 miles . When i turn heater on it drops another 15 miles. I have yet to see if I will have higher electric bills for having to keep bolt plugged in all the time .

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's has been at or below zeroF here in Vermont for over a week, with another week or more expected. I leave my Bolt plugged in every night. When it was warm out (75-80 degrees) my range meter on the dash read 275 miles or more (factoring in regenerative power I imagine). But in this weather, my expected range is around 105-115 miles. I park in a carport (no door), so I don't know how the range might be affected if I were in an enclosed garage. When temps were in the low 30's, my range was right around 200 miles. I have been reluctant to go overnight without plugging in so I cannot say how much of a hit I'd take overnight without it. But I can tell you that my electric usage has doubled (I've added a usage meter to the outlet in my carport so I can reimburse my condo association for the cost).
Been seeing similar numbers in Toronto over the past few weeks. It's been -10C and below, and definitely topping out at about 200km of highway driving. Range might show 250-275km at full charge, but as soon as I hit the highway (only doing 110km/h) the yellow bar of death comes out.

Wasn't expecting to see a near halving of range in cold weather, but on the whole still loving the car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts