Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the Chevy marque so I'm not sure of cross compatibility among models.
Has anyone looked into using say a Sonic or Cruze space saving rim with a collapsible tire?
I'll try attaching an image with a Mini and a spare on a 15" rim.
Of course, there'd need to be space for the jack, wrench, compressor, etc.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I looked through a lot of that thread (even broke out the Google search), but didn't see anything addressing collapsible spares. And lots of stuff about off-topic but related stuff like jack points, all-season tire recommendations, etc. Makes it difficult to find and follow the on-topic thread, and for interesting nuggets to go unseen.

·
Registered
770 Posts
New to the Chevy marque so I'm not sure of cross compatibility among models.
Has anyone looked into using say a Sonic or Cruze space saving rim with a collapsible tire?
I'll try attaching an image with a Mini and a spare on a 15" rim.
Of course, there'd need to be space for the jack, wrench, compressor, etc.
Something like this?:

This would be a great trick for the Bolt. But you would need to find a wheel with a 5x105mm lug pattern (which a cruze would likely be) and the proper width...as the "space saving wheel (doughnut) is like 4" or really narrow. Then, what are the odds one of these collapsible tires could be re-mounted on a Bolt-appropriate wheel? The collapsible/fold-able tire is from a Amsterdam, Netherlands company called Vredestein / product name: 'Space Master' A quick search doesn't find any tire-only option, or proper bolt-pattern options. (pretty much for expensive German makes only, although I did find many on eBAY)

On top of all of that, some jack method and some amazing compressor marvel that is small, uses 12V DC power,
and able to inflate a tire up to 50psi.

As an alternative, There is a very good thread over in the Volt Forum on this. Lot'sa pics and how-to's: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?221834-Millivolt-Mod-Spare-Tire-Kit-REDUX

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yeah, I looked through a lot of that thread (even broke out the Google search), but didn't see anything addressing collapsible spares. And lots of stuff about off-topic but related stuff like jack points, all-season tire recommendations, etc. Makes it difficult to find and follow the on-topic thread, and for interesting nuggets to go unseen.
Yes. People should respond to the original thread, not the slightly off-topic previous thread (although often useful and deserving of its own thread). Also, when a thread gets to > 300 responses, it gets unwieldy if you have not been following it all along or if new to the Forum. Lastly, how do you link to another (old or new) thread? Should we not see a few more posts like: “Hey. This topic made me think of xxxxx for which I have started another thread, IF you are interested. Otherwise, jump below this post and carry on.”

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just watched the video of the collapsible spare tire.... if I had that much compressed air on hand, I’d be inflating the tire that was on the car!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I thought these types of spares had bad traction in wet weather (skip to 1:50):

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coming from an Audi, so I've had one in the boot of my car for the last decade or so. And used it at least once when some cretin lined the side of the road with rocks to keep people off his lawn. Met a fire truck coming the other way, so started to pull over and cut a sidewall. The Space Master got me home and then to a tire shop.
The car comes with a crappy looking tiny compressor (two VHS tapes?) that somehow pumps the tire up in about 5 mins. Or maybe something small from Harbor Freight?
BTW, I'm not entirely sure the guy in that video properly inflated that tire. It looked a bit asymmetric to me and it should have been symmetric.
Interestingly, Holden (listed as a Space Master user) is a GM Australia brand.
Others have dismounted and remounted the Space Master to other rims.
Would have to sort the jacking issue, but that's true of any spare - collapsible or otherwise. Figure I'll leave that for another thread.

The 15" Space Masters are the smallest I've seen, and when collapsed I wonder if they'd fit in the "spare" compartment.

They usually mount on a pretty narrow rim - like 4½". But all the catch has been that the Sonic/Cruze spare seems to be 16"... Not sure if there's a 15x4½ rim that would make a nice tidy donor in the Chevrolet ecosystem.

It occurs to me that it may all be moot if the divot in the trunk is only say 15", which is the diameter of the rim alone. I'll check it out. Along with depth.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The car comes with a crappy looking tiny compressor (two VHS tapes?) that somehow pumps the tire up in about 5 mins. Or maybe something small from Harbor Freight?
Found this on alibaba: Combination 150 PSI tire pump/hydraulic jack/and Impact lug Wrench! runs on 12V DC

Perhaps the trunk area can be surgically modified to accommodate the spare?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts